LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 275 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is it possible that we could be buyers at the deadline?

Offline  Re: Is it possible that we could be buyers at the deadline?
Posted: July 06, 2017, 8:38 AM Post
Garza seems like a solid hold candidate. I don't think the return would be good enough to motivate me to move him off of a first place team. The Brewers have enough starting pitching but I still question their depth. I'm very high on Woodruff's future but assuming he can step in and pitch at a high level down the stretch is questionable. Brinson and Phillips didn't exactly tear it up when they got their chance, how can we assume rookie pitchers could successfully fill any voids that might occur? Can't trade a guy like Garza now as one more bad injury to a starter could have a pretty dramatic impact on the team. I would have to get a staggering, unbelievable offer to trade him now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 9:07 AM Post
People keep saying the wild card doesn't seem in play, but do you guys even look at the standings? The Rockies hold the second spot and are trending down pretty fast right now. Their rotation isn't good and at Coors that is going to bring them down. They are good, but I expect them to have a record that sports <90 wins. They only hold a 3 game lead over us right now....we have a bigger divisional lead than that.

If and when the Rockies continue trending down look at the Wild Card contenders not including the Cubs. It is the 40-42 Braves and the 40-44 Cardinals right now. We hold a 5 game lead over the Braves right now(who are directly behind the Cubs in the Wild Card race. There is not a single winning record in the NL that isn't currently holding a playoff spot.

STOP WRITING OFF THE WILDCARD

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 9:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not writing anything off at this point. I still think we will come back down to earth.... but who knows. I just want to make sure we continue down the path that is best for the future. I guess I was just curious about Garza's value because I don't know how much you can trust him. If he had value is it best to get rid of him or keep him and hope he doesn't explode this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 9:42 AM Post
I'm not sure how much value he would really hold. I mean enough to trade him in a postseason spot race? Believe it or not he has been easily our third best starter this year. I feel he keeps it up all year he could be an interesting offseason trade candidate. He will have the very attractive option. We have a lot of young rotational depth we could turn to and trade Garza for some prospects(or bullpen help) etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 9:58 AM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
I still think we will come back down to earth....

Maybe this is the Brewers earth? Maybe. Just maybe, these stat gurus that tell us how great or bad these guys will be were wrong? Because baseball isn't played on a computer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 10:22 AM Post
I think at this point unless you're getting a really solid prospect back, hold onto Garza for the rest of the year and then possibly look to flip him during the offseason.

If he finishes 2017 with an ERA around 4, his $5M option for next year would look pretty solid to a lot of teams looking for back end rotation help (including us, honestly).

I think my days of frustration with Garza are pretty much over, he has been pretty solid and dependable this year and at the end of last year, and now that he has learned to pitch instead of just trying to overpower guys with stuff that just isn't there anymore, he seems to be having a nice little late career renaissance. I'm not sure I'd want to give him up this year or next year without getting something really enticing in return (definitely better than the return we got for, say, Aaron Hill. More along the lines of what we got for Gerardo Parra).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 1:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Good points everyone. I think that's a good way of looking at it. Wait out the year and if he has value, they can always trade him after the season. I think my initial thought was worrying about him having a bad second half and then not having value. But like said, I don't think he'd fetch that much anyway so he's more valuable on the team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 7:14 PM Post
I think the only real way we trade Garza during the season if everything goes perfect for us. Nelson continues to be great, Garza keeps pitching well, Davies takes the next step, Guerra starts to right the ship and Woodruff gets a handful of fantastic starts under his belt. At that time, I could see trading Garza (for a 7th/8th inning reliever?) to get Anderson his spot back without having to demote woodruff. If we don't look like we have 5 strong (or at least good enough) starters without Garza, we probably won't trade him mid-season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 7:42 PM Post
Its gonna be tough to find a good fit for Garza. No non contending team is going to want him. He basically only has value for a contender who wants a little more stability at the back of their rotation. And a contender wont want to trade us anything that helps us right now.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2017, 7:45 PM Post
Brew4U said:
RobDeer 45 said:
I still think we will come back down to earth....

Maybe this is the Brewers earth? Maybe. Just maybe, these stat gurus that tell us how great or bad these guys will be were wrong? Because baseball isn't played on a computer.

Haha right. I remember two weeks ago hearing the same thing and now we have rattled of wins in 7/8 of our last 8. I guess they don't specify when...maybe 5 years or so?

Seriously though the team is playing well and keeps doing better when everyone expects gravity to bring us down. This team has legit players doing legit things. They haven't had a bad losing streak all year. This team can keep it up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 7:24 AM Post
Morosi: Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

I can't begin to express how much this displeases me. Don't do anything stupid DS!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 7:29 AM Post
Really depends on who they have to give up, but at least with those two guys you're getting them for multiple years beyond 2017 so I can get behind that. But you know there would be a couple guys involved that will hurt to see go. Nervously excited!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 7:34 AM Post
I really don't want anything to do with Gray and his injury history

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 7:46 AM Post
There are so many teams interested in the TOR-type starters available at the deadline that the price will be very high. Too high to represent value for what we're giving up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 7:55 AM Post
I didn't read this whole thread but I think this is new info, hard to tell on the internet~.

http://nesn.com/2017/07/mlb-rumors-brew ... -quintana/

Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

I'm ok with someone like Gray or Quintana since they each have 2+ years left before free agency so can help with the rebuild. Please no rental starters though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 8:01 AM Post
Oxy said:
Brew4U said:
The Cubs are nowhere near a borderline dynasty. Come on man. Lots of work left to do for them.

I wouldn't say they have a lot of work to do, although they obviously will need to continually re-build their pitching staff. Their position player group is set up extremely well for the next 5 years.

They have 2 clearly above average positional players and Contreras most likely makes 3. Russell hasn't shown much with the bat and his defense has slipped this year. Schwarber is a disaster and needs to be in the AL, Baez is toosly but makes a lot of dumb mistakes and isn't much of a hitter. Happ may join those ranks to make 4, too early to tell. They have nothing in the way of young pitching and are going to have to pray young guys get it really fast or keep cycling in free agents. There is no dynasty here, just a good team. If you had to rate teams with the top 25 and under talent in baseball I wouldn't put the Cubs at the top of the list.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 8:06 AM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
Morosi: Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

- I can't begin to express how much this displeases me. Don't do anything stupid DS!!

A couple of quick points:

1. The Brewers have a 4.5 game lead in the division on July 7th. They ARE playoff contenders.

2. Rockies are fading to the point where 2nd WC will be an option for Brewers as well as division.

3. Nationals, Dodgers and Dbacks might be better than the Brewers but anything can happen once you get into the postseason.

4. The Cubs (or Cards) could win 100 games next year and the year after and this might be a rare opportunity.

5. The Milwaukee Brewers have only made the postseason 4 times out of nearly 50 years as a franchise.

6. The Brewers 40 man-roster is starting to fill up and we will not have enough spots for our beloved "top" prospects.

7. Moving our Farm pieces at positions of depth (OF, MI) for controllable talent at positions of need is not "straying from the plan."

8. Quintana, Gray and Cole are all cost controled for several more seasons. They could always be moved at a later date to re-stock the farm.

9. Bob Uecker and Bud Selig are both 82 years old. They both celebrated their 50th birthday the year our current GM was born. Carpe Diem!

10. Less than 20% of prospects even make the majors, with a far less percentage becoming average regulars. For every Ryan Braun, there are 100 Mat Gamels.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 8:16 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
People keep saying the wild card doesn't seem in play, but do you guys even look at the standings? The Rockies hold the second spot and are trending down pretty fast right now. Their rotation isn't good and at Coors that is going to bring them down. They are good, but I expect them to have a record that sports <90 wins. They only hold a 3 game lead over us right now....we have a bigger divisional lead than that.

If and when the Rockies continue trending down look at the Wild Card contenders not including the Cubs. It is the 40-42 Braves and the 40-44 Cardinals right now. We hold a 5 game lead over the Braves right now(who are directly behind the Cubs in the Wild Card race. There is not a single winning record in the NL that isn't currently holding a playoff spot.

STOP WRITING OFF THE WILDCARD

Calm down. That post I wrote saying the wild card didn't appear to be in play was written on June 20th. Obviously the standings looked a lot different 17 days ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 8:20 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Calm down. That post I wrote saying the wild card didn't appear to be in play was written on June 20th. Obviously the standings looked a lot different 17 days ago.

The thing is, you were wrong 17 days ago too. That Rockies rotation is terrible, there was no reason to think it wouldn't fall off. They had also beat up on the Padres and Giants a lot early. The Rockies tend to fade most seasons because it is just a tough place to play and their players wear down. At no point this season did I think the wild card was out of play.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2017, 8:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
I honestly wonder how much the Brewers being 8 games over has affected DS's strategy for moving players this year. I suspect (though I certainly could be wrong!) that he came into the year expecting another season of 70-75 wins, and he was possibly planning on moving Garza, maybe Anderson, and perhaps Santana and Broxton even, maybe Braun, if he could find a taker. Now they're winning, everyone is pretty much playing well (except Villar), and we have a logjam of players, there's no place to put the young guys like Phillips, Brinson, etc, and there's no justification for trading away guys like Garza, Santana, etc, etc in the middle of a playoff race.

Just something to toss around...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 275 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply