LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trading partner: Oakland A's

Offline  Re: Trading partner: Oakland A's

Posted: July 15, 2017, 4:54 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
how informed is Jon in this info because seems like nothing coming from the Brewers camp or reporters.

Local Brewers media sucks. They must not talk about rumors so the Brewers are nice to them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2017, 3:30 PM Post
I guess I will start this with saying there is no indication that he on the block, but someone brought up in the Sonny Gray thread wondering what it would take to get Sean Manaea. It would take a lot, but I think this might be a good way to go if DS thinks he has too many bodies and needs to thin the herd. I'm wondering if you guys think this would be enough if DS went to BB and asked about Manaea.

Hader
Ray
Phillips
Peralta
Ventura

I personally think Hader is destined for the bullpen and I'm hoping put him in will allow us to keep Brinson. Since we aren't including Brinson, Beane will probably want his pick of OF's in our system. Peralta is up and coming and Ventura is solid but unspectacular. It seems like a ton to give up, but I believe Manaea has 5 years of control after this year and would give a solid lefty for the future (no offense to Suter).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2017, 3:45 PM Post
Mudville9 said:
I guess I will start this with saying there is no indication that he on the block, but someone brought up in the Sonny Gray thread wondering what it would take to get Sean Manaea. It would take a lot, but I think this might be a good way to go if DS thinks he has too many bodies and needs to thin the herd. I'm wondering if you guys think this would be enough if DS went to BB and asked about Manaea.

Hader
Ray
Phillips
Peralta
Ventura

I personally think Hader is destined for the bullpen and I'm hoping put him in will allow us to keep Brinson. Since we aren't including Brinson, Beane will probably want his pick of OF's in our system. Peralta is up and coming and Ventura is solid but unspectacular. It seems like a ton to give up, but I believe Manaea has 5 years of control after this year and would give a solid lefty for the future (no offense to Suter).

I like the idea, but that cost is a bit high. I would look at the Gio Gonzalez trade a few years back as a way to gauge what Manaea might be worth. I think Gonzalez has more value than Manaea as he was more established at the time and still had plenty of control. Manaea hasn't had a ton of success yet. I think we are talking about Ortiz, Peralta, Jungmann and Phillips or Ray in a trade for Manaea. Jungmann doesn't have much value, the other guys are key. In the trade for Gonzalez the A's got 2 pitchers, a position player, and a guy in Milone that wasn't expected to be much. Jungmann would be the milone in this case. That might be too much to give up for Manaea, but it's an interesting idea for sure.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2017, 3:51 PM Post
adambr2 said:
HighHeat19 said:
Gray will be a BUST!!!! Just look at Gray's Home and Away splits if you don't believe me.

He is literally almost the exact same pitcher home or away for his career, which is a lot more meaningful and telling than his 2017 splits.

Yeah, I think you'd have a hard time finding any player whose home/road splits are as close as Gray's.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2017, 3:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
Mudville9 said:

Hader
Ray
Phillips
Peralta
Ventura

Well Manaea was also brought up in this thread a couple of weeks ago. [wink]

I think you are close with your proposal although I could see the A's asking for Brinson and Ortiz to replace Hader and Phillips in that deal. He does have some injury history and a shorter track record so I think the risk tempers some of the cost. My guess is the Brewers are likely to have to give up two of their top five prospects for him and another 1-2 prospects that are further down the list.

Here would be my guess on a trade that could possibly get it done...

Brinson
Ortiz
Dubon
Harrison

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2017, 4:22 PM Post
Sorry! I can't keep my threads straight.

I get that A's would ask for Brinson and Ortiz, but I'd hope we could work them down to Hader and Phillips instead and throw in a smaller piece like a Jungmann/Cravy or Wren/Reed. We are going to lose some pieces next year when 40 man decisions come up anyway. Hell I would throw in all four of those guys if we could get a decent bullpen arm in the deal also. My main thing is that I think Hader will be a bullpen arm (although a good one) and if we can use him to get a controllable starter while his value is high we might want to take the risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 24, 2017, 7:54 AM Post
Manaea and Lowrie(Owed about $9M more over the next 2 years) for:

Brinson
Ortiz
Villar
Harrison

Starting Rotation of:
Nelson
Manaea
Anderson
Suter
Davies

Lowrie to bridge the gap until Dubon/I. Diaz make it to the big leagues. Beane would be able to shed his highest salary as Jed makes over 7% of the teams salary the next 2 years. Lowrie has history with Stearns in Houston.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 24, 2017, 8:04 AM Post
billymac said:
Manaea and Lowrie(Owed about $9M more over the next 2 years) for:

Brinson
Ortiz
Villar
Harrison

Starting Rotation of:
Nelson
Manaea
Anderson
Suter
Davies

Lowrie to bridge the gap until Dubon/I. Diaz make it to the big leagues. Beane would be able to shed his highest salary as Jed makes over 7% of the teams salary the next 2 years. Lowrie has history with Stearns in Houston.

This makes more sense than the Verlander/Kinsler type proposals. However, I still don't think the A's will trade Manaea at this time.

This same proposal makes some sense but with Sonny in place of Sean. Also, I think if it's for Sonny instead, the Brewers could keep Brinson and trade either Ray or Phillips instead.

Also, either Manaea or Gray would be our #1 starter over Jimmy Nelson. I'm sorry but 2 months of great starts in 4+ seasons doesn't make Nelson a #1 starter IMO. Hope I'm wrong and he truly turned a corner, but I still don't think he's that talented.

If Jimmy is an ACE then Brent Suter is a dominant #2 starter! lol

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply