LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Targets- Starting Pitchers

Offline  Re: Trade Targets- Starting Pitchers

Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:17 PM Post
ReverendBrewmeister said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Cubs were reportedly asking Detroit about Michael Fulmer and were willing to part with Schwarber. Now Tigers are said to be searching for their CF of the future and rejected the Cubs. If Fulmer were available, the asking price would be enormous, but Brewers have the CF in Brinson that might interest the Tigers but don't think him alone gets it done. Question is what else would they want? Davies? Woodruff?

It appears that the Tigers have not-great OF depth in their organization. The current stats bear it out; it's mentioned in Detroit-centric sports columns. Additionally, Justin Upton has an opt-out clause in his contract after the 2017 season, which could be exercised if he turns it up the rest of the season and thinks he can be an attractive free agent.

That would make Brinson a key piece in any potential trade with Detroit. I'd suggest that any trade for Fulmer would involve several OF prospects.

Additionally, the Tigers trading away a young starting pitcher would hurt their pitching rotation. I'd expect they would have interest in a young major league starter or a near major-league ready starter.

The Tigers infield is also aging with Kinsler at 2B and Romine playing UT. So a major league or near major-league ready infielder might be sought.

So throwing that all together, I'd think we'd be looking at something like this:
Fulmer = Brinson, Phillips, Dubon/Villar, and Davies/Woodruff.

MLB trade rumors said Detroit wanted both Baez and Happ from the Cubs for Fulmer. Would a package with Brinson/Villar get it done? I'd do that in a heart beat

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
billymac said:
ReverendBrewmeister said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Cubs were reportedly asking Detroit about Michael Fulmer and were willing to part with Schwarber. Now Tigers are said to be searching for their CF of the future and rejected the Cubs. If Fulmer were available, the asking price would be enormous, but Brewers have the CF in Brinson that might interest the Tigers but don't think him alone gets it done. Question is what else would they want? Davies? Woodruff?

It appears that the Tigers have not-great OF depth in their organization. The current stats bear it out; it's mentioned in Detroit-centric sports columns. Additionally, Justin Upton has an opt-out clause in his contract after the 2017 season, which could be exercised if he turns it up the rest of the season and thinks he can be an attractive free agent.

That would make Brinson a key piece in any potential trade with Detroit. I'd suggest that any trade for Fulmer would involve several OF prospects.

Additionally, the Tigers trading away a young starting pitcher would hurt their pitching rotation. I'd expect they would have interest in a young major league starter or a near major-league ready starter.

The Tigers infield is also aging with Kinsler at 2B and Romine playing UT. So a major league or near major-league ready infielder might be sought.

So throwing that all together, I'd think we'd be looking at something like this:
Fulmer = Brinson, Phillips, Dubon/Villar, and Davies/Woodruff.

MLB trade rumors said Detroit wanted both Baez and Happ from the Cubs for Fulmer. Would a package with Brinson/Villar get it done? I'd do that in a heart beat

Happ and Baez are worth more than Villar/Brinson. If Detroit came and offered Fulmer for Brinson and Villlar - you do it as fast as possible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 5:39 PM Post
The most I'd be willing to pay for Fulmer is Brinson, Ortiz, Ray, and maybe a throw-in 25-35 system-ranked low level prospect (Orimoloye/Supak/Zack Brown/Zach Clark/Lara/etc.). Woodruff/Hader/Burnes are off the table. Trade with someone who needs OFs, they'll value the Brewers prospects more.

The thing going for the Brewers is that there is potentially a big supply of starters available. Look at the first post in the topic. Econ 101 - increasing supply decreases price. Someone asks too much, move on to someone else.

As I've mentioned before, there are only three ways to acquire starting pitching:
1) Draft (draft is for building your team 6 years out)
2) Give up talent
3) Take on age/injury/salary/performance risk

Draft isn't an option for now, so it's either #2 or #3.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 5:40 PM Post
I really think we get either Darvish or Hamels.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 5:51 PM Post
Fulmer will command more than I care to give up. I mean if he's actually available, he'd be one of the few guys I could understand paying a premium for.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 9:38 PM Post
I think that DS will get a pitcher without trading any pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 10:28 PM Post
Darvish would be fun, but I don't see us being able to pay him this offseason so it would be worthless to me. Nor should we necessarily at what he'll command at age 30.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 11:30 PM Post
Sonny Gray tonight...

6 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 5K W

Pulled at 100 pitches

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 12:58 AM Post
If DS gets a starter it be someone that not being really talked about

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 4:07 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Sonny Gray tonight...

6 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 5K W

Pulled at 100 pitches

Awful lot of pitches for 2hits 1walk and only 5k.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 5:57 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Sonny Gray tonight...

6 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 5K W

Pulled at 100 pitches

I'd take 6 shutout innings from my starter and take my chances with the pen any day. Besides he didn't face the opposing pitcher a couple of times.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Targets- Starting Pitchers

Posted: July 15, 2017, 6:38 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Sonny Gray tonight...

6 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 5K W

Pulled at 100 pitches

Yah we better continue rolling out Guerra/Davies. 4 ERs in 5 innnings with a couple homers at least makes sense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 7:46 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Sonny Gray tonight...

6 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 5K W

Pulled at 100 pitches

Yah we better continue rolling out Guerra/Davies. 4 ERs in 5 innnings with a couple homers at least makes sense.

For what we may pay to get Gray, fine by me. Seems to be working.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 7:52 AM Post
Brew4U said:

It won't for long. Brewrers need to acquire a starter somehow regardless. Not sure I want Sonny Gray, but who knows what the price ends up being. If we are going to trade away a major chunk of our prospects I'd prefer something less risky than that of Gray. That being said I think people are being waaaay too critical of Gray over one year. There is some risk there, but a ton of upside. If I could get a deal done without Brinson/Hader I would be all over it. He may command one of them though and I just don't know about that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 8:01 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

It won't for long. Brewrers need to acquire a starter somehow regardless. Not sure I want Sonny Gray, but who knows what the price ends up being. If we are going to trade away a major chunk of our prospects I'd prefer something less risky than that of Gray. That being said I think people are being waaaay too critical of Gray over one year. There is some risk there, but a ton of upside. If I could get a deal done without Brinson/Hader I would be all over it. He may command one of them though and I just don't know about that.

Yeah I'm right there with you on the way you're thinking. I just don't want to blow our wad on above average. Elite, sure. But just not sure that's to be had this trading season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 9:04 AM Post
Stearns is smart, he's waiting to see who becomes available, what if the Mets make DeGrom available ( I would empty for him) or if Darvish becomes available. Gray may be the best option now but things can change in a week or 2. If TB tanks maybe Archer is available (also would empty for him). I think many of us want to go for this but this deadline seems pretty fluid. Give Stearns about 10-14 business days. Now relievers if he can get Ramos or Neshek you pull the trigger quickly as long as you're not trading upper echeleon prospects.

I still maintain Yelich would look great in CF

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
Darvish WILL become available and likely is alreay, but it doesn't make as much sense for the Brewers to pay a steep price for a 2 month rental.

deGrom...not happening.

I think the guys that make the most sense of the Brewers are Sonny Gray, Marcus Stroman or Dan Sraily.

Yelich in CF makes zero sense for a multitude of reasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 10:14 AM Post
Yelich replaces Broxton, broxton could go in the trade. You don't like .360 OBP?

You have no idea what Texas would ask. He won't bring a Quintana haul because YD is a strict rental.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 10:22 AM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Stearns is smart, he's waiting to see who becomes available, what if the Mets make DeGrom available ( I would empty for him) or if Darvish becomes available. Gray may be the best option now but things can change in a week or 2. If TB tanks maybe Archer is available (also would empty for him). I think many of us want to go for this but this deadline seems pretty fluid. Give Stearns about 10-14 business days. Now relievers if he can get Ramos or Neshek you pull the trigger quickly as long as you're not trading upper echeleon prospects.

I still maintain Yelich would look great in CF

The best pitcher available right now is definitely not Gray. The Pirates have made Gerrit Cole available but it is going to take a lot to get him and the Brewers don't really match up all that well with the Pirates unless you are looking at making the headline being Hader and Burnes plus others.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 10:53 AM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Yelich replaces Broxton, broxton could go in the trade. You don't like .360 OBP?

You have no idea what Texas would ask. He won't bring a Quintana haul because YD is a strict rental.

The Rangers are 2 games out of the WC. They're not just going to give Darvish away. Maybe not a Quintana price, but still significant prospects for a rental which is not a business Stearns wants to be in.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 123 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply