LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

AJ Ramos (Marlins pen)

Offline  AJ Ramos (Marlins pen)

Posted: July 13, 2017, 8:05 PM Post
Thoughts? Looks like the Marlins are open for business (kind of). Sounds like they are keeping a core together. Ramos and Phelps appear to be available

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: AJ Ramos (Marlins pen)

Posted: July 14, 2017, 4:50 AM Post
Both guys are free agents in 2019. While they'd both be nice to have, they would both be considered "rentals" which David Stearns has said to be avoiding

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 5:36 AM Post
billymac said:
Both guys are free agents in 2019. While they'd both be nice to have, they would both be considered "rentals" which David Stearns has said to be avoiding

FA in 2019 don't fit the term rentals. They could still be acquired and dealt at next year's deadline, though I don't think the Brewers' number one priority right now is bullpen help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 6:13 AM Post
billymac said:

That is not a rental. Pretty soon guys with 5 year contracts will be rentals too under that belief.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 12:14 PM Post
The Marlins interest me. With the ownership craziness going on right now, it kinda seems like they're in a position to misplay this deadline and potentially give away some good players for way less than they're worth. I don't really have any evidence to support this theory (so take the word "theory" very lightly), but the way they seem to be of two minds about trading away top players makes me interested to see how they handle this deadline.

It's possible that the result is that they miss the opportunity to get value for players entirely by not trading them at all, but I do feel like the Brewers could get a steal out of their bullpen potentially.

That said, if I had to choose right now between the trade we just made for Webb and giving up anything of value for either of these two guys, I'd stick with the Webb trade. Gives us a lot more flexibility, potential for a strong lefty out of the bullpen for years to come, and didn't have to give up much. Leave it to Stearns to think out of the box.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 12:44 PM Post
superfly said:
billymac said:

That is not a rental. Pretty soon guys with 5 year contracts will be rentals too under that belief.

Meh, 1 year and 2 months I'd consider a rental based on the Brewers front office "young and controllable talent" philosophy. That's not even close to 5 years by this belief, its a 3.8 years difference. To my knowledge under Stearns, they haven't acquired anyone with under 5 years of control other than Thames.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 2:43 PM Post
A 2019 FA is not a rental by baseball terms, BTW.

I'd be interested in "controllable" RHP Kyle Barraclough however.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply