LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Darvish

Offline  Darvish

Posted: July 16, 2017, 10:44 AM Post
We keep hearing Milwaukee doesn't want to rent but if the Brewers do not want to give up a high level prospect Texas may be a partner. Luis Ortiz and Zacj Brown for a half season of Darvish. Who says no?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darvish

Posted: July 16, 2017, 10:53 AM Post
Hell no.

[wink]

Rather just ride out a Suter/Woodruff/Guerra battle for starting pitching improvement. Haven't gotten sustained good pitching from them yet

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 16, 2017, 11:09 AM Post
The Brewers are in a development stage. Trading prospects for a 3 month rental doesn't make sense. If we were in the Royals situation, with Moose, Cain, Hosmer, etc. potentially leaving, then you go for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 16, 2017, 6:33 PM Post
The fan in me says LETS PLAY. Unless he pre-agrees to a contract extension though it's a no to me, especially considering the money he's going to command at his age. The back end of the deal will end up like Verlanders imo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 16, 2017, 6:54 PM Post
Reminder, he is a free agent at years end and the Brewers will get a supplemental pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 16, 2017, 7:06 PM Post
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:
Reminder, he is a free agent at years end and the Brewers will get a supplemental pick.

I think your crossing items here.

Yes as a small market team, the Brewers will get a supplemental pick between rounds 2 & 3 this coming season. By getting a group B pick, they will also get an additional 500K in their international signing pool.

The Brewers would not get a pick for Darvish departing as a Free Agent.
a) for a player to be eligible for a qualifying offer, the player needs to be in that organization the entire system. Hence by not dealing Darvish, the Rangers would have the opportunity to extend a qualifying offer. Anyone else... no dice.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 7:53 AM Post
I love watching Yu Darvish pitch. A player I would love to see in Milwaukee. However I don't see a way that this deal makes sense for the Brewers, as Darvish will be an expensive rental who we'd be very unlikely to sign to an extension. I just so badly wish it wasn't so...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 7:55 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Yep, if the Brewers could get Darvish to agree to an extension as part of a trade with the Rangers, back up the prospect truck. Saving that though, this is not something the Brewers should be doing unless the price is a lot lower than I assume it is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 7:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
Someone will pay big for Darvish - but it won't be us. Not for a rental - and not at the price it will likely cost. If he is traded, my guess is he goes to the Yankees.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 8:50 AM Post
And That said:
Yep, if the Brewers could get Darvish to agree to an extension as part of a trade with the Rangers, back up the prospect truck. Saving that though, this is not something the Brewers should be doing unless the price is a lot lower than I assume it is.

Agreed. I assume we'll explore the option, but we shouldn't tap into the top 10 prospects for a rental...not at this stage of the rebuild.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply