Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Offline  Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:28 PM Post
Just throwing this out there

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:37 PM Post
Nowhere to add a bat. These guys performed for months. They will either figure it out or we sink.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:38 PM Post
True in theory. You just need to score more runs than the other team to win. Doesn't matter if you win 10-8 or 2-1. A win is a win.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:40 PM Post
If they want to go ahead and add Kinsler for this year and next, if we're not giving up much, I'm on board.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel on Villar and Sogard is still a mediocre MLB journeyman on his last fumes of getting starts off an unsustainable month in May.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 29, 2017, 9:46 PM Post
adambr2 said:
If they want to go ahead and add Kinsler for this year and next, if we're not giving up much, I'm on board.

I am pretty much ready to throw in the towel on Villar and Sogard is still a mediocre MLB journeyman on his last fumes of getting starts off an unsustainable month in May.

Exactly...was just coming here to post that I think Kinsler would help this LU immensely right now..That and getting Vogt back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 29, 2017, 10:19 PM Post
Villiar at this point is Useless and as good as eric performed he just a journreyman

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 7:38 AM Post
Brewers are above average in OPS at every position except these three:

2B - 24th (.244/.313/.365/.678)
LF - 16th (.234/.316/.436/.752)
CF - 22nd (.218/.299/.423/.721)

Kinsler might not be a huge upgrade with the bat (.244/.327/.391/.718) but combine the offensive upgrade with his superior middle infield defense and I think the overall impact could be pretty big. Left field numbers are obviously depressed with Braun's injury problems. But it wouldn't be a crazy idea for Stearns to trade for another centerfielder that can post a decent OBP because that has been a real weakness for the offense and who knows if Brinson/Phillips will be a short-term fix for that? I'm not a fan of Curtis Granderson at this point but he does have a .331 OBP so it's not all that surprising that Stearns was looking at him (at least the rumors said so). The problem with Granderson is that the defensive numbers have really slipped this year (-5 DRS, -10.7 UZR/150).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 10:07 AM Post
I was pretty much against Kinsler until I saw those numbers for 2B above. And I'm assuming those include the 2.000+ OPS Sogard had for a couple weeks. Villar is beyond lost and Sogard is back to who is really is. Getting Ian would be like if we would have replaced Yuni with Tulo.

That being said, the bullpen is still trash and the ultimate anchor weighing this team down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 10:14 AM Post
I like Kinsler as well, really good player despite his age. Under contract through 2018, which should allow us to phase in Dubon next year without rushing him, and have Diaz and Hiura not far off by then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 10:51 AM Post
If they can get a package deal on Wilson/Kinsler i've really started to warm to the idea. The bullpen for the most part was fantastic yesterday despite ANOTHER Guerra disaster, if we can get another solid guy in there and add a veteran bat at the same time let's play baseball into September.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 10:59 AM Post
superfly said:
If they can get a package deal on Wilson/Kinsler i've really started to warm to the idea. The bullpen for the most part was fantastic yesterday despite ANOTHER Guerra disaster, if we can get another solid guy in there and add a veteran bat at the same time let's play baseball into September.

You might want to look up the word disaster. While only getting three innings is rough, he threw them scoreless. It gave us a chance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 5:16 PM Post
Brew4U said:
superfly said:

You might want to look up the word disaster. While only getting three innings is rough, he threw them scoreless. It gave us a chance.

I think you underestimate how lucky we were to be in that game. It could have easily been a other 10-15 run nationals game. The only way to describe Guerra getting out of that scoreless was he had a golden horseshoe up his behind.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 5:19 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
Just throwing this out there

What have they scored - 57 runs since the break? A little over 3.5 per game?

It's even worse when you think that of those runs, 31 came in four games (3 wins and a loss). The average for the other 12 games is under 2.2...

I have to say that I've been hoping for a good controllable starter, or some relief help (like most others here), but it's kind of hard to argue with this.

Yes, the bullpen has often been poor and sometimes the starters haven't gone deep enough but you're not going to win too many games with that lack of run support. [sad]

I'm not expecting anything exciting by the trade deadline, so hopefully Brinson lives up to expectations and Braun stays healthy - that could make quite a difference...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 6:43 PM Post
Kinsler and Granderson could really, really make our lineup look good....
and it wouldn't cost much in prospects you'd have to believe....

Santana
Kinsler
Braun
Shaw
Aguilar/Thames
Granderson
Pina
Arcia

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 6:53 PM Post
After seeing our CF of the future, I see why we were linked to Granderson.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 7:55 PM Post
wow what did Phillips and Brinson play a whole two weeks

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 8:16 PM Post
When Phillips can come back up you'll see a Brinson/Phillips platoon to put them in a better position to succeed and help with the transition to MLB.

Pressure is mounting on A's. If they don't deal Gray tomorrow and have to wait until the offseason he loses one playoff run worth of value. Either way, Gray's trade value decreases tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 8:42 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Aaron Judge had an OPS+ of 60 last year. Trout had an 89 his first chunk of big league action. I guess their teams should have just given up on them

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 8:54 PM Post
Devinep said:
Brew4U said:

Aaron Judge had an OPS+ of 60 last year. Trout had an 89 his first chunk of big league action. I guess their teams should have just given up on them

We can still get Granderson for two months and still have a future with Brinson and Phillips. People need to calm the flip down when it comes to these prospects. They will get their time. It just doesn't look like Brinson's is right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2017, 9:16 PM Post
They need a bat, maybe two. They need another arm in the pen. They really probably need another SP. Which is why they shouldn't get any of them.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply