LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Offline  Re: Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Posted: August 26, 2017, 5:07 AM Post
Who? They made their move for a bat by acquiring Walker. Brinson is out. Phillips will be up in a few days, maybe with some reinforcements.

Beyond that , there isn't much they can do at this point. They will sink or swim with the guys that got them here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 4:39 PM Post
I like the Walker move. I'd be inclined to see if we can get him to extend for two years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2017, 6:33 PM Post
If you wanted to add a bat what position would it even be at? CF?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 7:31 PM Post
Austin Tatious said:
I like the Walker move. I'd be inclined to see if we can get him to extend for two years.

The CBA only allows a team to reduce a player's salary by a maximum of 10% year over year, so the minimum the Brewers could pay Walker on an extension is $15.5M next year, $14M the year after.

They will have to release him in order to bring him back on a reasonable salary.

Quote   Reply 
Offline    Re: Never Mind Pitching Maybe they need to target a Bat

Posted: August 29, 2017, 7:57 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Austin Tatious said:

The CBA only allows a team to reduce a player's salary by a maximum of 10% year over year, so the minimum the Brewers could pay Walker on an extension is $15.5M next year, $14M the year after.

They will have to release him in order to bring him back on a reasonable salary.

That doesn't seem right. I've heard of such a rule for arbitration but it makes no sense for free agency. Matt Cain has a $20M contract for 2017 and will be a FA after the season, are you claiming no team could offer him less than $18M next year? He won't find a job if that's the case.

I've heard this claim in the past and it makes no sense to me for that very reason, there will be guys every year coming off massive contracts who can't find work because they're no longer worth a fraction of their former selves in free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 8:30 PM Post
That's an arbitration rule, I believe, and pertains only to the player's current team in a continuing-employment context. If a guy files for free agency, the next contract is whatever the FA negotiates and with whatever team he negotiates.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 10:21 AM Post
Yes, it's only with the player's current team that they can only reduce salary by 10% per year. Otherwise you'd have teams trying to skirt the luxury tax threshold by paying a player $40M one year and $1M the next, and that screws up QOs, arbitration, and many other things.

Since Walker was traded mid-season in the last year of his deal the Brewers cannot make him a QO. Not sure how that affects the negotiation window or if it makes him an automatic free agent, but IIRC there is a rule that if a player does not resign with his current team by a certain date they cannot resign him until well into the next spring, maybe not until after the season starts.

The Brewers might have to release Walker before the end of the season in order to bring him back at less than $15M for next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 7:06 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Yes, it's only with the player's current team that they can only reduce salary by 10% per year. Otherwise you'd have teams trying to skirt the luxury tax threshold by paying a player $40M one year and $1M the next, and that screws up QOs, arbitration, and many other things.

Since Walker was traded mid-season in the last year of his deal the Brewers cannot make him a QO. Not sure how that affects the negotiation window or if it makes him an automatic free agent, but IIRC there is a rule that if a player does not resign with his current team by a certain date they cannot resign him until well into the next spring, maybe not until after the season starts.

The Brewers might have to release Walker before the end of the season in order to bring him back at less than $15M for next year.

That rule is changed as well. Players can resign with their old team whenever they want.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply