LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 11 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jed Lowrie

Author Message
Offline  Jed Lowrie
#1

Posted: August 08, 2017, 5:45 AM Post
Posts: 10647
Thought I'd add him to the list of potential 2B trade candidates. He's having a pretty solid year with OPS vs. RHP above .800 and carries a not too outrageous $6 million option for 2018. Stearns likes doing business with Oakland too. Villar and a low level lottery guy or an aging "prospect" like Jungmann or Wilkerson?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#2

Posted: August 08, 2017, 6:30 AM Post
Posts: 428
Location: Madison, WI
Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#3

Posted: August 08, 2017, 8:58 AM Post
Posts: 10647
JosephC said:
Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.


Villar's value is nearly nil now. Can't see him getting arbitration offer from anyone after this trainwreck of a season. I just threw him in there rather than releasing him when Lowrie or another 2B comes aboard. Lowrie is a fine stopgap paired with Perez until Dubon or Hiura takes over full time a year or so from now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#4

Posted: August 08, 2017, 9:36 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1588
JohnBriggs12 said:
JosephC said:
Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.


Villar's value is nearly nil now. Can't see him getting arbitration offer from anyone after this trainwreck of a season. I just threw him in there rather than releasing him when Lowrie or another 2B comes aboard. Lowrie is a fine stopgap paired with Perez until Dubon or Hiura takes over full time a year or so from now.


For what it's worth we have no idea what Villar's value is. You may be right. You may also find that gm's like a cost controlled guy who put up great numbers last season enough to put more value on him than you do.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#5

Posted: August 08, 2017, 9:57 AM Post
Posts: 5741
Yea, does Villar have a huge value? No. But we don't know that he has NO value. Here is a player who put up really good numbers for an entire season, just last year. OBP, took walks, had some power, stole a ton of bases. So that talent is there, somewhere. It's why the Brewers gave him plenty of time to "get right" this season, and rightfully so.

Maybe he figures it out again, maybe not, but there could be one or more teams that would be interested in finding out.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#6

Posted: August 08, 2017, 4:52 PM Post
Posts: 166
Oakland had little interest in him at the deadline and want to make playing time for Barretto. Saving a few bucks and getting a low level prospect while clearing time for their young player should be appealing enough to get a deal done, assuming he clears waivers or the Brewers claim him. His 350 OBP would be a big help to the lineup and improve the 2B position


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#7

Posted: August 08, 2017, 9:06 PM Post
Posts: 1740
No point. Just play Villar and promote Dubon to play out the string until Hiura is ready which could be 2019 easily if not sooner.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#8

Posted: August 09, 2017, 6:53 AM Post
Posts: 10647
Boomer5 said:
No point. Just play Villar and promote Dubon to play out the string until Hiura is ready which could be 2019 easily if not sooner.


Yep just throw in the towel a game and a half back. Why bother playing at all? Forfeit this rest of the season and 2018.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#9

Posted: August 09, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
Posts: 354
Location: New Berlin, WI
JohnBriggs12 said:
JosephC said:
Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.


Villar's value is nearly nil now. Can't see him getting arbitration offer from anyone after this trainwreck of a season. I just threw him in there rather than releasing him when Lowrie or another 2B comes aboard. Lowrie is a fine stopgap paired with Perez until Dubon or Hiura takes over full time a year or so from now.


Villar absolutely has value. I highly doubt that he isn't offered arbitration. Sure he's lost at the plate right now and his mechanics are a mess, but talent like that should be given a chance to rebound as the risk is worth the potential reward. He was hitting in the 280s the last 2 years, he would get claimed on waivers in a heartbeat if we let him walk.

I would prefer not to pick up someone beyond a rental, unless Stearns is confident he would be able to get value for that person in the off season if he chooses. Villar will get the chance to win the 2b job next year, and Dubon/Perez will be in the mix there as well. We only get so many spots on the 25 man...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#10

Posted: August 09, 2017, 12:53 PM Post
Posts: 603
I would say Dubon/Perez in the mix sounds right to me too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Jed Lowrie
#11

Posted: August 09, 2017, 5:50 PM Post
Posts: 166
rcc said:
I would say Dubon/Perez in the mix sounds right to me too.


Yeah in 2018. Lowrie is a '17 rental. Which should be good both in terms of cost to get him and he won't block future prospects


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 11 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test