LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

brandon phillips

Offline  Re: brandon phillips

Posted: August 11, 2017, 5:03 PM Post
I think I've finally seen enough of Villar, and sogard was always a poor option. Playing Santana as a leadoff man is a joke, but what other option does counsell have. We need a table setter to jumpstart the offense.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brandon Phillips

Posted: August 11, 2017, 5:10 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
bill hAll Star said:
jerichoholicninja said:
Phillips has cleared waivers, so he's available. The Reds are paying almost all of his 2017 salary so he'd only cost 300K for the rest of the year.

A few questions: I'm not a huge fan of Phillips in his current state but surely would take him to finish the season for the heck of it.

A. Does the "free" thing really transfer? Is it possible that his contract gets dealt to the Brewers but the portion paid by the Reds stays with the Braves?

B. Now that he's cleared waivers, is it possible that teams that passed on the last round of waivers will be bidding for him, allowing the Braves to drive up the asking price to being a prospect or two?

I'm just scratching my head on how a solid player that would cost basically nothing completely clears waivers and would be given away for nothing after clearing waivers. I'm not a fan of him but I feel like at least 4 or 5 teams would take him for free.

That means no team thinks he's worth paying the amount remaining on his contract. There might be bidding by teams, but the end result will certainly be viewed as less value than the $ remaining on his contract.

Contending teams for the most part have been fairly set at position players. Hence why solid guys like JD Martinez, Jay Bruce, to some extent Alex Avila, etc have been traded for next to nothing.

What it means is that he just wasn't a fit on any team. You can eliminate over half of the league from claiming him as they are either out of contention or re-building. I haven't look at rosters but I would assume almost all playoff contending teams have better options at 2B. 300K is chump change

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 22 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply