LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Broxton - offseason value

Offline  Re: Broxton - offseason value

Posted: September 06, 2017, 7:13 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Broxton alone has some value, even with his streakiness.

Broxton-Garza as a centerpiece of a trade could get a slightly better return.

Broxton-Davies as a combo in a trade could really net a huge return.

Umm, isn't the whole goal of a rebuild to get young, controllable assets? Davies is 24, and has arguably been the team's best pitcher this year. Trading him for prospects would be taking a HUGE step backward. You have a #2-3-type starter locked in for the next four seasons. Why in the world would you give that up, even for a "huge" return? In my opinion, Davies IS the huge return. Davies and Broxton? You better be getting a young MLB All-Star caliber player back, plus a MLB Top 10 prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
I'd still give Broxton a chance unless a top 70 type prospect was offered up in trade at a position of need or want. Remember, he has such a poor contact rate when swinging at pitches in the zone. Maybe it's an eye repair thing like with Gatewood last off-season. Broxton's numbers wouldn't need to improve much with his batting exit velocity to make them elite at CF. Drop his bad percentages by just 10% where does he go on the numbers? He's the perfect candidate to see traded away for near top 100 prospect and become elite after doing so. He's someone with a small bump in stats can be 30/40 as a hitter who's in his prime years under control for all of them.

I just don't believe Brinson or Phillips has any higher ceiling than Broxton. What may be a higher BA/OB comes with a lower Slg. The Defense between the 3 I'd give Phillips the better ranking, but Broxton/Brinson are awash with Broxton being more likely overall better. Problem is Phillips bat profile, isn't looking any different than Keon's.

Just a little tweak/improvement away from being a 5WAR type CF. The Mets would certainly have a use for him in CF. The Dodgers could use Broxton at CF, so in no way do I see him as just a 2nd tier team's type.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 1:36 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
I'd still give Broxton a chance unless a top 70 type prospect was offered up in trade at a position of need or want. Remember, he has such a poor contact rate when swinging at pitches in the zone. Maybe it's an eye repair thing like with Gatewood last off-season. Broxton's numbers wouldn't need to improve much with his batting exit velocity to make them elite at CF. Drop his bad percentages by just 10% where does he go on the numbers? He's the perfect candidate to see traded away for near top 100 prospect and become elite after doing so. He's someone with a small bump in stats can be 30/40 as a hitter who's in his prime years under control for all of them.

I just don't believe Brinson or Phillips has any higher ceiling than Broxton. What may be a higher BA/OB comes with a lower Slg. The Defense between the 3 I'd give Phillips the better ranking, but Broxton/Brinson are awash with Broxton being more likely overall better. Problem is Phillips bat profile, isn't looking any different than Keon's.

Just a little tweak/improvement away from being a 5WAR type CF. The Mets would certainly have a use for him in CF. The Dodgers could use Broxton at CF, so in no way do I see him as just a 2nd tier team's type.

A lot of teams thought the same thing about Drew Stubbs. I think most learned their lesson. Broxton isn't young and he struggles making contact. His trade value isn't non-existent but it's pretty minimal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 8:17 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
clancyphile said:
Broxton alone has some value, even with his streakiness.

Broxton-Garza as a centerpiece of a trade could get a slightly better return.

Broxton-Davies as a combo in a trade could really net a huge return.

Umm, isn't the whole goal of a rebuild to get young, controllable assets? Davies is 24, and has arguably been the team's best pitcher this year. Trading him for prospects would be taking a HUGE step backward. You have a #2-3-type starter locked in for the next four seasons. Why in the world would you give that up, even for a "huge" return? In my opinion, Davies IS the huge return. Davies and Broxton? You better be getting a young MLB All-Star caliber player back, plus a MLB Top 10 prospect.

The Brewers have a lot of SP depth options. Woodruff, Suter, and Jungmann, for starters, with Angel Ventura and Hader as outside shots. Wilkerson, Burnes, and Ortiz all look to be ready at some point in 2018.

For the right price, Davies should be available. Now, the team that gets him pays through the nose, but I'm not above dealing from depth to get a huge return.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply