LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Base

Author Message
Offline  First Base
#1

Posted: August 20, 2017, 1:56 PM Post
Posts: 8
Trade Thames or Aguilar? Why?

What could they bring back?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#2

Posted: August 20, 2017, 9:24 PM Post
Posts: 9986
Neither would likely clear waivers right now.

In the offseason, I'm not sure. Aguilar probably still not much. Maybe an Adam Lind return for a couple lottery tickets.

Thames is a tough one to gauge. He's had a productive season but so much of that production was in April that it's hard to tell how the league values him right now.

I expect both back here next year. We have a pretty good situation at 1st, both are worth more to us than what we could get back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#3

Posted: August 21, 2017, 1:04 AM Post
Posts: 259
adambr2 said:
Neither would likely clear waivers right now.

In the offseason, I'm not sure. Aguilar probably still not much. Maybe an Adam Lind return for a couple lottery tickets.

Thames is a tough one to gauge. He's had a productive season but so much of that production was in April that it's hard to tell how the league values him right now.

I expect both back here next year. We have a pretty good situation at 1st, both are worth more to us than what we could get back.



Not sure what the payout will end up being on the Lind deal, but it looks like it could be pretty good so far.

Anyway, I really like how easy Aguilar looks up there, he's got good discipline, he seldom looks like he's trying to do too much. I've made this comp about a half dozen times, but he reminds me of Jose Abreu. But there's really no reason to do much of anything right now.

I still like Thames...though I wonder a bit if he's a little bothered by some type of core injury because he just doesn't look as explosive as he did and his bat looks so much slower than it did early in the year. He's still really disciplined as a hitter and he draws a lot of walks.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#4

Posted: August 21, 2017, 5:10 AM Post
Posts: 10647
I would have preferred trading one of the two and giving Cooper a shot, but alas Stearns gifted Cooper to the Yankees so I'd keep both Thames and Aguilar for 2018.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#5

Posted: August 21, 2017, 8:48 AM Post
Posts: 1636
Location: Madison, WI
Yea seems like a no-brainer cheap platoon situation. Combined their stats together and you should have darn good 1B production.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#6

Posted: August 21, 2017, 10:03 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6292
tmwiese55 said:
Yea seems like a no-brainer cheap platoon situation. Combined their stats together and you should have darn good 1B production.


Thames OPS vs RHP: .932
Aguilar OPS vs LHP: .948

That's a decent platoon.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#7

Posted: August 21, 2017, 11:14 AM Post
Posts: 351
Location: New Berlin, WI
Perez and his incredible flexibility will allow us to keep both if we choose. I could see us dangling one(probably aguilar) in the offseason. I would think Aguilar probably could net us a better haul than Jason Rogers did in 2015. I'm aware that the deal was a pretty significant overpay from a value standpoint for Pittsburgh at the time, but Aguilar also has way more value than rogers did at that point. I'm not sure if that would be worth it. A big part of the reason the offense has been as good as it has this season is depth. Any one or two guys can sit out on a given day and we still have a very potent lineup. Pick 3 of Perez, Pina, Vogt, Broxton, Arcia, Sogard...and those 3 would measure up well against the 6-7-8 of most teams in the league.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#8

Posted: August 21, 2017, 11:53 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5660
KeithStone53151 said:
Perez and his incredible flexibility will allow us to keep both if we choose.


Image


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#9

Posted: September 03, 2017, 6:44 AM Post
Posts: 10647
Deal one Eric this winter and sign a better one?

Eric Hosmer will be a premier FA bat out there. With the Brewer rotation looking like a contending one, they could use a premier bat. Time to step up and make a big splash.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: First Base
#10

Posted: September 03, 2017, 8:10 AM Post
Posts: 6267
Location: Kenosha, WI
JohnBriggs12 said:
Deal one Eric this winter and sign a better one?

Eric Hosmer will be a premier FA bat out there. With the Brewer rotation looking like a contending one, they could use a premier bat. Time to step up and make a big splash.


Hasn't been very consistent throughout his career. I don't hate on the big splash idea(and his age is very attractive), but I think the cost will make it a very risky venture.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#11

Posted: September 03, 2017, 8:20 AM Post
Posts: 183
Hopefully they can unload Thames contract. It is not a good one.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#12

Posted: September 03, 2017, 1:56 PM Post
Posts: 8
How is Thames different from Chris Carter?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#13

Posted: September 03, 2017, 2:54 PM Post
Posts: 3034
KeithStone53151 said:
Perez and his incredible flexibility will allow us to keep both if we choose. I could see us dangling one(probably aguilar) in the offseason. I would think Aguilar probably could net us a better haul than Jason Rogers did in 2015. I'm aware that the deal was a pretty significant overpay from a value standpoint for Pittsburgh at the time, but Aguilar also has way more value than rogers did at that point. I'm not sure if that would be worth it. A big part of the reason the offense has been as good as it has this season is depth. Any one or two guys can sit out on a given day and we still have a very potent lineup. Pick 3 of Perez, Pina, Vogt, Broxton, Arcia, Sogard...and those 3 would measure up well against the 6-7-8 of most teams in the league.


This.

I think the top trade assets on the 25-man roster are:
Aguilar
Broxton
Davies
Thames

Ideally, I'd see all four dealt, either for more prospects for the system, an elite TOR starter, or an elite bat.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#14

Posted: September 03, 2017, 5:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6292
JohnBriggs12 said:
Deal one Eric this winter and sign a better one?

Eric Hosmer will be a premier FA bat out there. With the Brewer rotation looking like a contending one, they could use a premier bat. Time to step up and make a big splash.


Never understood the love Hosmer got. Probably mostly the product of being a part of the Royals runs a couple years ago. Outside of this year, his offense is pretty average for a 1B.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#15

Posted: September 03, 2017, 9:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5660
I would really love to see the Brewers work out Braun and Santana at first base. Start this winter and see if there is a future there with either of those two. It just makes too much sense to not try it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#16

Posted: September 04, 2017, 5:45 AM Post
Posts: 10647
jerichoholicninja said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Deal one Eric this winter and sign a better one?

Eric Hosmer will be a premier FA bat out there. With the Brewer rotation looking like a contending one, they could use a premier bat. Time to step up and make a big splash.


Never understood the love Hosmer got. Probably mostly the product of being a part of the Royals runs a couple years ago. Outside of this year, his offense is pretty average for a 1B.


He's an actual run producer as opposed to Thames who's driven in a paltry 26 of his teammates on base this season? Even "pretty average for a 1B" is an improvement over Thames.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#17

Posted: September 04, 2017, 6:10 AM Post
Posts: 165
Brew4U said:
I would really love to see the Brewers work out Braun and Santana at first base. Start this winter and see if there is a future there with either of those two. It just makes too much sense to not try it.


Agree. Too many young OF coming up. Brauns gonna slow down and Santana's tall and a brutal OF


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#18

Posted: September 04, 2017, 6:14 AM Post
Posts: 165
JohnBriggs12 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Deal one Eric this winter and sign a better one?

Eric Hosmer will be a premier FA bat out there. With the Brewer rotation looking like a contending one, they could use a premier bat. Time to step up and make a big splash.


Never understood the love Hosmer got. Probably mostly the product of being a part of the Royals runs a couple years ago. Outside of this year, his offense is pretty average for a 1B.


He's an actual run producer as opposed to Thames who's driven in a paltry 26 of his teammates on base this season? Even "pretty average for a 1B" is an improvement over Thames.


good idea. Base how good a hitter is off of RBI.

You can take Pujols he's top 10 in AL RBI. Yeah Thames has been bad with runners in but he also stupidly is put 1 or 2 in the lineup


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#19

Posted: September 04, 2017, 6:45 AM Post
Posts: 1226
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:
Hopefully they can unload Thames contract. It is not a good one.


Thames had his year paid for by the end of April, so I'm not sure how the deal is a bad one at this point. Unloading a $5m/yr deal on a 30HR guy who can take a walk seems silly to me.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: First Base
#20

Posted: September 04, 2017, 6:53 AM Post
Posts: 148
+1

It's funny how the perceptions of people literally change on the drop of a dime. Especially on a forum.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test