LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next  [ 727 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jake Arrieta

Offline  Jake Arrieta

Posted: November 20, 2017, 10:45 AM Post
Brewers Reportedly Showing Interest In Jake Arrieta

With Jimmy Nelson set to miss a portion of the 2018 season following shoulder surgery, the Brewers are eyeing top-end rotation upgrades and showing some early interest in Jake Arrieta, tweets MLB.com’s Jon Morosi.

If we get the Arrieta of 2nd half 2017 YES PLEASE!!

Arrieta
Anderson
Davies
Suter
Woodruff

With Jimmy coming back at some point, my guess is AS break.

Offline  Re: Jake Arrieta

Posted: November 20, 2017, 10:48 AM Post
Please no, I can't think of a single offseason move I would dislike more than this one. I'm not overly concerned by us showing interest, ideally it's simply an effort to drive up price.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
If the Brewers are going to get Arrieta, then they need to get some other help to make him worth it. He alone is not enough to make a huge difference.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 10:59 AM Post
High $ amount, shorter(er) # of years and I'm OK with it. 3 years is a pipe dream, 4 maybe max.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:02 AM Post
I just hate that this is even being discussed. I don't like him personally and I think he is a fall off candidate. We'll be stuck exactly where Brewers free agent signings always are. Underperforming their contract.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:18 AM Post
While I am certainly not in on a 4-5 year $20-$25m per contract for Arrieta, I am more for this than dealing the prospects necessary for Archer. Small market teams like the Brewers should be able to deal with a bloated contract much easier than a depleted farm system. If they sign Arrieta and deal a prospect or two like Trent Grisham (Clark) for Jake Odorizzi, I would be happy with a rotation of Arrieta, Anderson, Davies, Odorizzi and Woodruff.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:23 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
While I am certainly not in on a 4-5 year $20-$25m per contract for Arrieta, I am more for this than dealing the prospects necessary for Archer. Small market teams like the Brewers should be able to deal with a bloated contract much easier than a depleted farm system. If they sign Arrieta and deal a prospect or two like Trent Grisham (Clark) for Jake Odorizzi, I would be happy with a rotation of Arrieta, Anderson, Davies, Odorizzi and Woodruff.

This.

Spending cash right now since we have a lot to spend is smarter than depleting the minors.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:24 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I just hate that this is even being discussed. I don't like him personally and I think he is a fall off candidate. We'll be stuck exactly where Brewers free agent signings always are. Underperforming their contract.

This is the case with basically every free agent, ever. Yes, Arrieta presents slightly more risk as a pitcher and as one with declining velocity...but who are we saving the money for? If not Arrieta this year, we'll be thinking about signing some other 3.75 FIP/ERA guy for $100 million next year, pushing the contract burden a year further down the road.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:33 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Brew4U said:

This is the case with basically every free agent, ever. Yes, Arrieta presents slightly more risk as a pitcher and as one with declining velocity...but who are we saving the money for? If not Arrieta this year, we'll be thinking about signing some other 3.75 FIP/ERA guy for $100 million next year, pushing the contract burden a year further down the road.

I've said it in other posts but I am good with going with our youth and trying to find cheap guys on 1-year deals to fill out the rotation. The only way I want the Brewers to be spending money on a starting pitcher if it is that true ace type of pitcher. Arrieta doesn't seem to be that guy anymore and I really wonder how much of that great year that he had wasn't because of some things he was taking. I don't want the Brewers to be in the market for overpriced pitching. Just don't see a need for it. Plenty of other ways to build a roster.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:40 AM Post
Doesn't seem like the right time to me. I mean, I guess if he was still the same pitcher he was a couple years back the Brewers wouldn't be in the running. Paying TOR money for a now averagish starter doesn't seem like a great idea in a scenario where he's not really a finishing piece on a complete roster.

I know they have money; maybe it's not realistic but if they're going to spend I'd much rather completely over pay for Darvish.

I would agree that I'd rather sign pitching than trade prospects for it though.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:50 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Brew4U said:

Except that by next year, in theory we'll have Anderson, Davies, Nelson, Hader, Woodruff, and Burnes as established guys in the rotation with Ortiz and Peralta waiting in the wings. None of those guys will be expensive, and they can all be every bit as successful as Arrieta will be going forward. If everything breaks right, we'll have to figure out which guy or guys to trade to clear space. If one or two guys fail, well I have eight names listed and five rotation spots. And every one of the guys I listed has had significant success in the upper levels of the minors, and therefore they aren't as likely to fail. We really shouldn't be targeting anyone on more than a 2 year deal with the pitching we have on the way.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:50 AM Post
Something about signing a guy who sucked 4/6 of the months of the year to be a TOR guy seems like a pretty solid disaster waiting to happen. You are gambling he looks more like July/August than the rest of the year. If there was a gun to my head and someone said Chase Anderson or Jake Arrieta I think I take Anderson. So I think that sums up what I think of this possibility.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 11:57 AM Post
I worry about Arrieta because he churned out a TON of innings for the Cubs in 2015 and 2016, especially compared to innings pitched in earlier seasons of his career. 2017 was probably the correction year where those innings started catching up to him.

I'd be very cautious about giving him a contract if the Cubs are willing to let him walk - especially considering their need for quality starting pitching.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:21 PM Post
How about we go for this, sign Arrietta and trade for Archer, Suter moves back to swing, 6th starter. Please read this Stearns.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:24 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
I worry about Arrieta because he churned out a TON of innings for the Cubs in 2015 and 2016, especially compared to innings pitched in earlier seasons of his career. 2017 was probably the correction year where those innings started catching up to him.

I'd be very cautious about giving him a contract if the Cubs are willing to let him walk - especially considering their need for quality starting pitching.

A very good point being raised here (in bold). It also goes to the mindset of the player - is he being driven solely by the money (wanting the mega payday)? Why is Arrieta so focused on getting away from the Cubs??

Compare this to Tanaka with the Yankees. Most people (myself included) believed he would opt out the contract this off season. Instead he opted to stay in his deal. The idea of already getting a large chunk of money & playing for contender outweighed going somewhere else for even more money and might not be in position to contend.

With many competitors, getting the title/ ring is the main driving force. But once they get 1, they break into 2 types: 1) I got mine & no one can take it away from me or 2) I got a ring, nice. Now I need to get back to work because I want another and another.

I'm getting the sense that Jake falls into category 1. Players like Jeter, Posey, Papi Ortiz are in the 2nd category...

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:36 PM Post
Letting Jake walk? Wasn't he a FA anyway?

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:36 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
How about we go for this, sign Arrietta and trade for Archer, Suter moves back to swing, 6th starter. Please read this Stearns.

Hard pass. These 2 moves would basically open up a 2-3 year window of contention, followed by a nasty rebuild. It also significantly limits what we can do to bolster the pen this offseason and probably isn't enough to make us a favorite to win the NL central in 2018.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:38 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Letting Jake walk? Wasn't he a FA anyway?

If the Cubs wanted to keep Jake, they absolutely could have. Word is they aren't seriously pursuing him in FA either.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:41 PM Post
Got it.

Guess we'll find out what happens.

Jake would be nice but I'm shifting my thoughts towards Lynn or Cobb & Chatwood.

Anderson
Lynn or Cobb
Chatwood
Davies
Woodruff

That would be money spent more wisely.

Posted: November 20, 2017, 12:44 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
KCBrewerfan34 said:

Hard pass. These 2 moves would basically open up a 2-3 year window of contention, followed by a nasty rebuild. It also significantly limits what we can do to bolster the pen this offseason and probably isn't enough to make us a favorite to win the NL central in 2018.

Or a 4 year run of playoffs and possible WS, Hard YES!!!!! and we would still have room to add payroll.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next  [ 727 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply