LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent SP

Offline  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: December 28, 2017, 8:12 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
wallus said:
I just can't believe some of these higher name starters haven't signed with anyone yet.

MLBTR had a piece today with an interesting note about this.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/ ... agent.html

Here on December 28th, the top four starting pitchers remain unsigned: Darvish (Wasserman), Arrieta (Boras), Cobb (Beverly Hills Sports Council), and Lance Lynn (Excel Sports Management). As the process drags into January, it will be interesting to see if any of the four have to settle for a bargain deal. The current free agency game of chicken between teams and agents has no recent precedent.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2017, 9:23 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
wallus said:
I just can't believe some of these higher name starters haven't signed with anyone yet.

Here on December 28th, the top four starting pitchers remain unsigned: Darvish (Wasserman), Arrieta (Boras), Cobb (Beverly Hills Sports Council), and Lance Lynn (Excel Sports Management). As the process drags into January, it will be interesting to see if any of the four have to settle for a bargain deal. The current free agency game of chicken between teams and agents has no recent precedent.

A "bargain deal"? The asking prices I've seen are far beyond reasonable and approach comical. If any of these guys "settle" for 75% of what they are asking that should be considered a good deal for the player. I know you are quoting trade rumors, I just find the word choice amusing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2017, 9:29 PM Post
wallus said:

They've all set unbelievably high prices that no team is willing to bite on. Cobb and Lynn are mid tier FA. Neither should sniff anything over $15 million per year. But they're out there thinking some team will come through with $18-20 million per year. Arrieta and Darvish too are unrealistic in their demands. Both want 5 or 6 year deals at around $25 million per. That isn't going to happen. They will both be lucky to crack $88 million over four years. Forget 5 or 6 years. That's not happening.

Brewers are waiting. I'm not sure Stearns has the fortitude to pay the asking price in a trade for the likes of Archer. But if one of those 4 drops his price to a level that he's comfortable with, it wouldn't shock me in the least if he pulls the trigger. Payroll is still under $70 million for next year. Even if it goes up to close to $80 million by signing Walker, figure he still has $15-18 million per year to spend. I think that's part of the reason he didn't splurge on the bullpen. He wanted to save it for a starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2017, 9:32 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
KeithStone53151 said:
A "bargain deal"? The asking prices I've seen are far beyond reasonable and approach comical. If any of these guys "settle" for 75% of what they are asking that should be considered a good deal for the player. I know you are quoting trade rumors, I just find the word choice amusing.

Yeah, with the current state of MLB salaries, "bargain" can only be used in a relative sense.

And your point on these FAs' contract demands are probably precisely why they're locked into a game of chicken.

I know his resume has its warts, but Chacin is looking like a steal at this point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2017, 10:09 PM Post
They are also stuck in a free agent market where many of the high payroll teams that gobble veteran starters up are intentionally slashing their payrolls to get under luxury tax penalties and set themselves up to throw huge dollars around next offseason.

If there ever was an offseason where the brewers landed a big name starter at a reasonable price, this would be it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2017, 11:30 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Yeah, with the current state of MLB salaries, "bargain" can only be used in a relative sense.

And your point on these FAs' contract demands are probably precisely why they're locked into a game of chicken.

I know his resume has its warts, but Chacin is looking like a steal at this point.

Agreed, I'm very happy with that chacin deal right now. And it will be very interesting to see how this game of chicken ends. Gm's are generally getting smarter and can look at a history of a large percentage of these ridiculous free agent contracts turning out poorly for the team. Guys get old, and honestly I think many start coasting once they sign the big contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 12:14 AM Post
I think the big key this year is all of the teams trying to get under the luxury tax threshold. Taking out a lot of key bidders.

I think GMs have always known these guys are overpaid but for once they have a bit of a motive not to spend. I think most know that when the pitcher heavily regresses in year 3 of the contract that they may be rebuilding anyways.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 7:42 AM Post
Yep, it wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see us make a move for one of these starters still out there if their demands lower. Heck same for the top relievers out there like Davis, Holland, or Reed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 8:52 AM Post
wallus said:

I remember from the winter meetings, can't remember if it was an owner or a GM, someone said, "five year contracts for pitchers don't end well". I think other teams are doing the analysis - looking at prior longer-term deals for pitchers - on the contracts (performance, age regression, subtracting DL time, etc.) and finding out what the real cost of those longer term deals are.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if you look at the peripherals and somewhat advanced stats Cobb's comp is a 30-year-old Matt Garza. Looking back, Garza wasn't worth 4/$52M, so Cobb can't expect to get even that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 9:28 AM Post
LouisEly said:
wallus said:

I remember from the winter meetings, can't remember if it was an owner or a GM, someone said, "five year contracts for pitchers don't end well". I think other teams are doing the analysis - looking at prior longer-term deals for pitchers - on the contracts (performance, age regression, subtracting DL time, etc.) and finding out what the real cost of those longer term deals are.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if you look at the peripherals and somewhat advanced stats Cobb's comp is a 30-year-old Matt Garza. Looking back, Garza wasn't worth 4/$52M, so Cobb can't expect to get even that.

What someone like Cobb is counting on is one dumb GM(example: Dombrowski) to make a "bold" move and meet their asking price. For Cobb specifically, I've heard $20 million per from one spot. Then another reporter said that asking price was false and he's seeking Mike Leake money 5/80. It doesn't take a genius to compare performance to value on similar past contracts. Even Leake, in the first 2 years of his deal(which are supposed to be the "good years"), post a 4.7 and 3.9 ERA his first 2 seasons. That's not TERRIBLE considering he took the ball 30 times each of those 2 years, but is it worth $32 million combined? Absolutely not. At age 30 he might have another season or two left performing at this level before he drops off, but he's not worth the contract.

Looking at the Leake contract makes the Chacin contract look that much better. A very reasonable expectation for Chacin would be to take the ball 30 times and post high 3s or low 4s ERA, that would be better than what Leake did the last 2 years at half the cost.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 9:46 AM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
wallus said:

I think the "bargain deal" aspect for the top starting pitchers is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/ ... tions.html

Let's look at deals that have happened so far.

Carlos Santana / prediction = 3/45 / actual contract = 3/60
Zach Cozart / prediction = 3/42 / actual contract = 3/38
Tyler Chatwood / prediction = 3/20 / actual contract = 3/38
Mike Minor / prediction = 4/28 / actual contract = 3/28
Jake McGee / prediction = 3/18 / actual contract = 3/27
Bryan Shaw / prediction = 3/21 / actual contract = 3/27
Brandon Morrow / prediction = 3/24 / actual contract = 2/21
Tommy Hunter / prediction = 2/12 / actual contract = 2/18
Juan Nicasio / prediction = 3/21 / actual contract = 2/17
Pat Neshek / prediction = 2/12 / actual contract = 2/16.25
Yonder Alonso / prediction = 2/22 / actual contract = 2/16
Mike Mikolas / prediction = 2/10 / actual contract = 2/15.5
Jhoulys Chacin / prediction = 2/14 / actual contract = 2/15.5
Wellington Castillo / prediction = 2/14 / actual contract = 2/15.5
Anthony Swarzak / prediction = 2/14 / actual contract = 2/14
Steve Cishek / prediction = 2/14 / actual contract = 2/13
C.C. Sabathia / prediction = 2/24 / actual contract = 1/10
Michael Pineda / prediction = 2/6 / actual contract = 2/10
Brandon Kintzler / prediction = 2/14 / actual contract = 2/10

So of the 19 contracts signed so far off the list of their top 50 free agents, 12 of the 19 received the same or more money than was predicted. Of the remaining 7, 2 of those had a higher average annual value than the prediction but signed for 1 year less. It certainly is open for debate in regards to those five other contracts of how far short they were of the prediction. I'd argue that the Cozart and Cishek deals were pretty much right on the money and of the 19 deals so far, only the Alonso, Sabathia and Kintzler deals were on the low side (and I don't think the size of the Sabathia deal surprised anybody).

Grand totals from above. Predicted = 47 years, 375 million dollars, average annual value = 7.98 million. Actual = 43 years, 409.75 million, average annual value = 9.53 million.

No question that at this point, the free agent market has not produced many bargains. Even though the numbers look like the free agents have been favored and there have been some overpays...I'd argue that MLBTradeRumor missed badly on a prediction (pretty much everyone on this board initially commented that the Chatwood prediction seemed whacked) and the Santana contract skewed the results just a bit. My generally impression is that so far the free agent market has generally been pretty balanced and has gone as expected so far. If anything, I'd say relievers tended to be paid about 15% more than what was expected.

So now back to possible bargain deals for the top starters.

Yu Darvish / prediction = 6/160 / contract demand = ??
Jake Arrieta / prediction = 4/100 / contract demand = anywhere from 6/160 to 8/200
Lance Lynn / prediction = 4/56 then upgraded to 4/60 / contract demand = 5/95
Alex Cobb / prediction = 4/48 / contract demand = anywhere from 5/80 to 5/100

The reason none of these players have signed yet is simple...contract demands too high and fairly unrealistic IMO. Once they come down to more realistic figures they will have no problem finding a lucrative, long-term deal. No idea how the media has come up with the idea that if a player isn't paid every penny of what he wants that he is somehow getting screwed? I'll say with great confidence that when all is said and done, Arrieta, Lynn and Cobb will all have contracts that pay them more than what MLBTradeRumors and most baseball writers/experts had predicted back in November. If Darvish missed the 160 million figure, it will only be because he didn't get a 6th year. Even so, I'd guess the average annual value of a shorter deal will exceed the 26.67 average annual value that was predicted. If people are looking for bargains, the top free agent pitchers is not the group to look at.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 9:48 AM Post
Many of the big names this season carry some additional levels of risk with declining performance or injury history. I think GMs are just getting sick of paying ridiculous money for less than elite/declining talent.

Also, I think some of the would be bigger bidders are holding out for next years Harper/Machado/potential Kershaw derby.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 9:51 AM Post
JosephC said:
The reason none of these players have signed yet is simple...contract demands too high and fairly unrealistic IMO. Once they come down to more realistic figures they will have no problem finding a lucrative, long-term deal. No idea how the media has come up with the idea that if a player isn't paid every penny of what he wants that he is somehow getting screwed? I'll say with great confidence that when all is said and done, Arrieta, Lynn and Cobb will all have contracts that pay them more than what MLBTradeRumors and most baseball writers/experts had predicted back in November. If Darvish missed the 160 million figure, it will only be because he didn't get a 6th year. Even so, I'd guess the average annual value of a shorter deal will exceed the 26.67 average annual value that was predicted. If people are looking for bargains, the top free agent pitchers is not the group to look at.

Well said, I find this aggravating too. It's probably just part of their war against the greedy rich owners that are providing us with baseball and are at least partially responsible for the jobs these writers have...but how dare they!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 10:05 AM Post
Would Cobb or Lynn cost the Brewers a draft pick?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 10:08 AM Post
mlloyd10 said:
Would Cobb or Lynn cost the Brewers a draft pick?

I believe both would.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 10:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
KeithStone53151 said:
JosephC said:

Well said, I find this aggravating too. It's probably just part of their war against the greedy rich owners that are providing us with baseball and are at least partially responsible for the jobs these writers have...but how dare they!

What 'media' people are saying that baseball players are getting screwed for asking for a lot of money (and not getting that much)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 10:50 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
KeithStone53151 said:
JosephC said:

What 'media' people are saying that baseball players are getting screwed for asking for a lot of money (and not getting that much)?

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/9 ... 0536870912 - This is a bit indirect but I definitely get the vibe he has a pro-player anti-owner stance.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2017/12/26 ... he-players - Article about owners being evil.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/18/mar ... concerned/ - Mets owners are cheap and terrible. One writer says it and another justifies it.

These are 3 examples I found in about 5 minutes. The common theme is pro-players getting paid and anti-rich greedy owners. It's not exactly as specific as you are stating, but the premise is there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 3:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
KeithStone53151 said:
reillymcshane said:
KeithStone53151 said:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/9 ... 0536870912 - This is a bit indirect but I definitely get the vibe he has a pro-player anti-owner stance.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2017/12/26 ... he-players - Article about owners being evil.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/18/mar ... concerned/ - Mets owners are cheap and terrible. One writer says it and another justifies it.

These are 3 examples I found in about 5 minutes. The common theme is pro-players getting paid and anti-rich greedy owners. It's not exactly as specific as you are stating, but the premise is there.

I guess I go back to the original line - No idea how the media has come up with the idea that if a player isn't paid every penny of what he wants that he is somehow getting screwed? - I guess I don't see this as a pro owner vs pro player statement. It's saying that the media is writing articles stating that players are getting screwed when they don't get what they ask for.

The quoted articles aren't necessarily written by journalists saying that players are getting screwed because they aren't getting what they are asking. One is an anti-salary cap story, another is simply about the Mets owners being bad, and the other is comparing spending in the past with this year (and finding it is down thus far).

Perhaps I simply misinterpreted the original statement. Not a big deal. Didn't mean to take the thread off topic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 5:00 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
wallus said:

They've all set unbelievably high prices that no team is willing to bite on. Cobb and Lynn are mid tier FA. Neither should sniff anything over $15 million per year. But they're out there thinking some team will come through with $18-20 million per year. Arrieta and Darvish too are unrealistic in their demands. Both want 5 or 6 year deals at around $25 million per. That isn't going to happen. They will both be lucky to crack $88 million over four years.

I'd much rather give Arrieta 100 million than Wade Davis 50 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 6:47 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
wallus said:

They've all set unbelievably high prices that no team is willing to bite on. Cobb and Lynn are mid tier FA. Neither should sniff anything over $15 million per year. But they're out there thinking some team will come through with $18-20 million per year. Arrieta and Darvish too are unrealistic in their demands. Both want 5 or 6 year deals at around $25 million per. That isn't going to happen. They will both be lucky to crack $88 million over four years.

I'd much rather give Arrieta 100 million than Wade Davis 50 million.

I would completely agree with that statement, but I hope we avoid both contracts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply