LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent SP

Offline  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: December 29, 2017, 11:00 PM Post
I think DS will make a bold move with someone like Lynn at some point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 29, 2017, 11:06 PM Post
In some ways it's like 2011. We need to cash in some of our chips for pitching. Our OF depth is beyond nuts and something has to give soon, along with the high number of players that will need to be protected a year from now. We need another plus arm or two in the rotation and a big upgrade at 2B to have playoff expectations, not just hopes.
In other ways, regardless of what we do from here on out, the Cubs will be the favorite in the division for the next few years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2017, 10:06 AM Post
mlloyd10 said:
Would Cobb or Lynn cost the Brewers a draft pick?

KeithStone53151 said:
mlloyd10 said:
Would Cobb or Lynn cost the Brewers a draft pick?

I believe both would.

Yes both would, the 3rd highest selection and 4th if both were signed. On this season it's be worth it as Milwaukee has their Competitive Balance pick in Round 2b. If it were the other way around it would be the 2nd round selection. Difference of #73 instead of that 60. Roughly, I think the Comp picks might adjust up or down some we will see.

BRef history of the 60 pick is a 37% Major Leaguer chance and avg 6.5WAR in their career. Travis Wood though in 2005 is last positive WAR pick at that selection.

For #73 it is also 37% but only a 2.4WAR contribution in career. Bryan Shaw in 2008 was last positive WAR at this selection.

So by the numbers to sign guys like Lynn or Cobb, aside from money cost, you are getting far more production than what this pick historically produces. And of course should Lynn/Cobb produce to what they've historically produced.

I'm still high on Lynn and now looking at Cobb's numbers he's in the same line of production, just not as much Games Started but career ERA/Fip in line with Lynn's.

I'd guess that with Wade Davis' signing setting the market on the elite RPs, it also probably set the price range on Cobb/Lynn to probably approach 70-84mil over 4years and not 50-60mil.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2017, 2:41 PM Post
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/947556565950885888

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2017, 3:19 PM Post
I would assume Matt Arnold will have a major say in if he throw big money at Cobb. (Rays connection)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 31, 2017, 6:23 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
I think DS will make a bold move with someone like Lynn at some point.

You could be right... Have been talking to Cobb.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2018, 1:10 PM Post
#Orioles have made another enquiry recently with RHSP Lance Lynn’s agent. Expected to put an offer on the table soon.#Rangers, #Brewers, and #Cubs are other teams continuing to express an interest.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: January 04, 2018, 2:09 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
#Orioles have made another enquiry recently with RHSP Lance Lynn’s agent. Expected to put an offer on the table soon.#Rangers, #Brewers, and #Cubs are other teams continuing to express an interest.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Brewers have multiple low-ball offers sitting out there, and are waiting to hear back from players and/or their representatives. That is likely what happened with Chacin and Gallardo, and probably what is currently happening with Boone Logan. It just happens that the Logan info leaked somehow, while the other offers are being kept close to the vest. That is a stark difference from the way the Cardinals and Cubs seem to do business. Both teams have been linked to nearly every free agent or big-name potential trade acquisition out there. I have no doubt that info is being leaked deliberately in order to keep those fan bases interested and engaged.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2018, 2:55 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Brewers have multiple low-ball offers sitting out there, and are waiting to hear back from players and/or their representatives. That is likely what happened with Chacin and Gallardo, and probably what is currently happening with Boone Logan. It just happens that the Logan info leaked somehow, while the other offers are being kept close to the vest. That is a stark difference from the way the Cardinals and Cubs seem to do business. Both teams have been linked to nearly every free agent or big-name potential trade acquisition out there. I have no doubt that info is being leaked deliberately in order to keep those fan bases interested and engaged.

If the players can't do better from another team, is it really a low ball offer?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2018, 2:59 PM Post
wallus said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

If the players can't do better from another team, is it really a low ball offer?

Good point. I'll further add, is it really a low ball offer when free agents are asking for almost double what previous comparable contracts dictate they deserve?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: January 04, 2018, 3:19 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
wallus said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Good point. I'll further add, is it really a low ball offer when free agents are asking for almost double what previous comparable contracts dictate they deserve?

Ha! Perhaps "low-ball" should be changed to "market-appropriate"?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2018, 7:24 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I'm starting to get the feeling that the Brewers have multiple low-ball offers sitting out there, and are waiting to hear back from players and/or their representatives.

It's also possible the Brewers are just being used a a smokescreen for leverage. Everyone knows they're looking for another SP, & that they'd be able to spend. Though I do hope you're right about how the Gallardo & Chacin deals played out. I'd love for that to be Stearns's strategy. Just wait out the games of chicken, & sign the guys who settle for lesser deals.

Overall, I'm just reminded day in & day out of Stearns's quote from December 9th:

Regarding the team’s rotation needs, Stearns says that the organization’s “market and history” under his stewardship are “a better indicator of the types of moves we’re seeking than some of the external speculation.” That seemingly hints that the organization won’t be chasing high-end free agents, though perhaps some of the top pitchers could still be considered in the right circumstances

7 days after that, he signed Gallardo, & 12 days after the quote he signed Chacin.

I get that his quote could've just been posturing & trying to stay off the radar in terms of bigger-ticket players as well. I just think we're not seriously in on any of the high dollar value FAs. I think the big impact move will be a trade.

"The key is identifying the moment. The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't." -- Billy Beane

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 10:41 AM Post
Bradford Doolittle from ESPN:

Which teams do you think will be most active in free agency over the next month?

Answer: Twins, Brewers and Rangers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 10:58 AM Post
wallus said:

Which teams do you think will be most active in free agency over the next month?

Wow, a guy from ESPN knows Milwaukee and Minnesota have baseball teams? Maybe they are turning a corner...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 3:53 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
wallus said:

Wow, a guy from ESPN knows Milwaukee and Minnesota have baseball teams? Maybe they are turning a corner...

Just threw darts at a map for teams to make up a story to fill space.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2018, 9:10 PM Post
Darvish has trimmed his teams and also mentioned a mystery team.

Stearns has said to kicking the tires on all SPs this offseason but I highly doubt we're the mystery team.

Darvish
Anderson
Davies
Chacin
Woodruff

Would be fricken nice!!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 5:18 AM Post
Darvish for 5/80-90??!?

Essentially that article is making two points. One is that the comparatively small return for Cole, which the Yankees, who were very much in the running for Cole, could easily have matched, would suggest they have someone else in mind, who makes sense financially. Which I agree with; and that could very well be Darvish. But then goes on to claim they seem to think he's available for 5 years and 80-90 million, which I really can't see happening. Surely at that point several other teams would come in with 5/95 or w/e, there's room to outbid that. I'm very much against the big FA deals for players 30+, but at that price even I would't mind. Admittedly that would be as much due to how much I like to watch Darvish pitch as it would due to it being the best move, but still.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 8:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
If Darvish’s market fell anywhere near those numbers (which I can’t see happening), then I would be surprised if the Brewers weren’t involved. While Stearns downplayed going after a large contract starting pitcher, he also said: “We’re always looking to get better. We remain interested if the right opportunities are presented to us." Getting Darvish for below $20 million AAV for less than 5 years would seem to be a steal.

Darvish is the one starting pitcher I would be ecstatic to see the Brewers break the bank for. I am weary of both Arrieta and Lynn, especially on 4-5 year deals. Darvish on the other hand seems like best bet to perform at a high level for the next several years. While I don’t think those numbers cited are going to come to fruition, even if the market came down towards something like 5 years at $120 million I would hope the Brewers joined the mix of potential suitors.

Another thing to consider I suppose, it seems the Brewers are currently planning with the long view in mind rather than viewing themselves at the doorstep of a short competitive window. Because of the volatility involved with projecting pitchers as they age, maybe elite starting pitching should be the last thing the Brewers look to add? If they pass on adding a SP on this year’s FA or trade market it may increase their chances of adding the best possible fit when the position players are more solidified and nearing their peak. I know that isn’t necessarily what we all want to consider coming off an 86 win season, but this upcoming year’s collection of position players is not likely to be as strong offensively as what we hope for by the early 2020’s. Also, while the number of competitive teams in the NL is low this year, the top NL teams still project to be very good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 8:32 AM Post
wallus said:
I would assume Matt Arnold will have a major say in if he throw big money at Cobb. (Rays connection)

Hickey (the new Cub pitching coack) came from the Rays and so did Maddon of course, so they have connection as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 8:35 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
KeithStone53151 said:
wallus said:

Just threw darts at a map for teams to make up a story to fill space.

All the big market teams want to avoid luxury tax and save space for next year's FA crop. Twins and Brewers have salary room and could contend. The rest are still rebuilding. Teams like Cards and Phillies could still do something too.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply