LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent SP

Offline  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: January 14, 2018, 9:58 AM Post
My oh my why does everyone have to be so negative? I understand some posts are a week old or so, but why must any connection we have be nothing? Why are our offers low ball offers? Why? Any reasoning behind that?

Maybe Stearns actually wants to improve our rotation and with a huge amount of payroll will put in an aggressive offer. Especially if someone can be had for less years than they wanted(3 years for example).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 10:07 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
My oh my why does everyone have to be so negative? I understand some posts are a week old or so, but why must any connection we have be nothing? Why are our offers low ball offers? Why? Any reasoning behind that?

Maybe Stearns actually wants to improve our rotation and with a huge amount of payroll will put in an aggressive offer. Especially if someone can be had for less years than they wanted(3 years for example).

Lowball offers aren't necessarily a negative thing. For various reasons sometimes just making sure your rivals have to make competitive offers, it's important to at least maintain perception of being involved.

And an aggressive offer isn't necessarily a positive thing, especially if it's a 4 or 5 year offer to someone like Arrieta who is a virtual guarantee to be an albatross contract at the end.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 10:25 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

I’m not sure how to put videos in blue lol just having some fun with your rant.

Last edited by Brew4U on January 14, 2018, 10:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 10:26 AM Post
Reports have it that Yu Darvish could be had at “reasonable” price of 5 yr 80-90 mil. He will be 31. Short term memory only reminds me of his World Series performance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 11:43 AM Post
I called into MLB Network Radio this morning and spoke to Jim Duquette and Jim Bowden...summarizing what they said:

-Archer trade has zero momentum. TB wants to keep him.
-Brewers are in on Darvish and Arrieta despite denials from their FO. Bowden said his sources are saying they are definitely in there. Both believe they have a strong shot at getting one of Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb or Lynn.
-Brewers will have to add SP via FA and not via trade. Sounds like Brewers want to keep their prospects.
-Brewers still in on Neil Walker although they are competing with the Mets.

Nothing groundbreaking but both believe that a SP and 2B will be added. Darvish/Arrieta and Walker would be fun late offseason adds for the Brewers especially if they keep the farm intact.

(Side note...the Mets trying to bring the band back together with Bruce and Walker. Why? I don't get their moves.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 11:51 AM Post
It would be fun to have a Darvish/Arrieta...if of course they give us some TOR production for a few years. I think the prices are in the Brewers grasps(at least on Darvish). Think I would skip Arrieta at 5 years though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 11:51 AM Post
Bruce, Walker and Gonzo. Sounds like the Yankees strategy a few years back.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 1:55 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I called into MLB Network Radio this morning and spoke to Jim Duquette and Jim Bowden...summarizing what they said:

-Archer trade has zero momentum. TB wants to keep him.
-Brewers are in on Darvish and Arrieta despite denials from their FO. Bowden said his sources are saying they are definitely in there. Both believe they have a strong shot at getting one of Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb or Lynn.
-Brewers will have to add SP via FA and not via trade. Sounds like Brewers want to keep their prospects.
-Brewers still in on Neil Walker although they are competing with the Mets.

Nothing groundbreaking but both believe that a SP and 2B will be added. Darvish/Arrieta and Walker would be fun late offseason adds for the Brewers especially if they keep the farm intact.

(Side note...the Mets trying to bring the band back together with Bruce and Walker. Why? I don't get their moves.)

Good, I hope we add Darvish or Arrieta.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 6:43 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Sign somebody - WE SPENT TOO MUCH or THIS GUY STINKS

Don't sign somebody - WHY ISN'T STEARNS DOING ANYTHING

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 8:59 PM Post
Lance Lynn of the big 4 pitchers is the guy I'd be concerned with signing to a multi-year deal even if it is just 3 yrs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2018, 12:18 AM Post
Darvish and hard pass on everyone else.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: January 15, 2018, 7:41 AM Post
Darvish - Sure, if he'd come to Milwaukee. Seems like he has his heart set on a big market, though.

Cobb - Eh, he's OK, but I don't see what he's going to give you that Chacin isn't going to give you at a much, much lower salary.

Lynn - Hard NO! I am jaded because every former Cardinal pitcher the Brewers pick up Seems to turn to crap. Thanks Suppan, Lohse and Looper!

Arrieta - His signing would make me nervous due to the money involved, but he doesn't seem like the type that would go in the tank after signing a big deal. Very competitive dude. Keeps himself in top physical shape. Has been very durable. If they are intent on signing someone, and Darvish doesn't want to go to Milwaukee, I wouldn't mind Arrieta.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2018, 7:50 AM Post
Kyle Lohse gave us two pretty stellar seasons on a 3 year deal. From a production standpoint that deal worked out lovely for us.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Free Agent SP

Posted: January 15, 2018, 8:16 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Kyle Lohse gave us two pretty stellar seasons on a 3 year deal. From a production standpoint that deal worked out lovely for us.

After two decent to good seasons in 2013 and 2014, Lohse fell off a cliff in 2015, seemingly out of nowhere. Suppan was decent to poor in 2007 and 2008 before falling off a cliff in 2009. Somehow Looper magically won 14 games for that same 2009 club, but did it with some of the best run support in the league.

I guess what I'm getting at is if they sign Lynn, try to get him to sign a 2-year deal LOL. Or don't expect much out of him in the 2020 season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 17, 2018, 8:26 PM Post
My prediction is that noon on January 28th at OnDeck, they will announce their FA SP signing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2018, 9:27 AM Post
Offer Darvish and Arrieta both 3/60

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2018, 10:02 AM Post
adambr2 said:
MrTPlush said:

Lowball offers aren't necessarily a negative thing. For various reasons sometimes just making sure your rivals have to make competitive offers, it's important to at least maintain perception of being involved.

And an aggressive offer isn't necessarily a positive thing, especially if it's a 4 or 5 year offer to someone like Arrieta who is a virtual guarantee to be an albatross contract at the end.

Really, you think David Stearns has the wherewithal to make Theo Epstein overpay for a FA? It's the exact opposite. As soon as a story came out about the Brewers interest in Lorenzo Cain, all of a sudden the Cubs were interested. Stearns probably knows that if he makes a serious (by Brewer standards) effort for Cobb or Arrieta, the Cubs will swoop in and grab them and likely be praised for it being an economical move. The Cubs can overpay for talent. The Brewers can't. That's an unequal playing field. Epstein knows it. Stearns knows it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2018, 10:09 AM Post
billymac said:
My prediction is that noon on January 28th at OnDeck, they will announce their FA SP signing.

So that's when Jaime Garcia will sign

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2018, 10:18 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Really, you think David Stearns has the wherewithal to make Theo Epstein overpay for a FA? It's the exact opposite. As soon as a story came out about the Brewers interest in Lorenzo Cain, all of a sudden the Cubs were interested. Stearns probably knows that if he makes a serious (by Brewer standards) effort for Cobb or Arrieta, the Cubs will swoop in and grab them and likely be praised for it being an economical move. The Cubs can overpay for talent. The Brewers can't. That's an unequal playing field. Epstein knows it. Stearns knows it.

Absolutely I do. I not only think he does, I know he does. He just recently got Epstein to overpay for Quintana, trading pretty much the last of their farm system. Epstein is basically Dombrowski 2.0. He has a very talented 25 man roster, but it also has it's warts and he has no ammo left to plug holes as he overpaid in prospects to plug holes with short term fixes. He also has significant payroll issues coming up with guys like Bryant/Baez/Schwarber/Russell all hitting arbitration, so I doubt we see a spending spree anytime soon. The more dumb moves Stearns can help Epstein make, the more their window shrinks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2018, 10:26 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

Absolutely I do. I not only think he does, I know he does. He just recently got Epstein to overpay for Quintana, trading pretty much the last of their farm system. Epstein is basically Dombrowski 2.0. He has a very talented 25 man roster, but it also has it's warts and he has no ammo left to plug holes as he overpaid in prospects to plug holes with short term fixes. He also has significant payroll issues coming up with guys like Bryant/Baez/Schwarber/Russell all hitting arbitration, so I doubt we see a spending spree anytime soon. The more dumb moves Stearns can help Epstein make, the more their window shrinks.

Sure, Epstein is shrinking the window a little bit, but unless this is coming across wrong on a message board, you have a very strange negative tone towards a guy that has built 2 franchises that have won 3 World Series titles and have plenty of time to win at least 1 more with the Cubs.

I don't think many moves that Epstein has made are that dumb given the constraints of baseball and their payroll. This post nearly got me to post the "wut" or question mark gif.

They're all in to win a World Series in the next four seasons and have plenty of time to replenish the farm system, and if it isn't replenished, they were probably going to be rebuilding anyways...or they can try to buy their way out of it one more time.

I find it kind of strange that having a 10 year window (even for a large market) is considered stupid GM moves. Even if Eloy and Gleyber are absolute studs, I don't know if they'll reach the value of what the Cubs traded for. They correctly dumped Soler, even if Davis didn't win them the WS. Chapman got them a World Series, which I'm not sure they'd have gotten without trading Gleyber.

Maybe they'll overpay for Alex Cobb, but in 2021 or 2022 when the Cubs have a good sense of whether they'll hit the reset button or know that they have a way to keep the thing going I don't know if they will say, "ugh, man...we have 1 year, $16 million left on this Alex Cobb contract. We're screwed."

Last edited by bill hAll Star on January 18, 2018, 10:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply