LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 114 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF

Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
Posted: January 04, 2018, 9:47 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Mejia/McKenzie for Santana/Ponce? I would want McKenzie involved in any deal for Santana.

I'm afraid that the Stearns would be hung up on immediately if he offered that up to the Indians. Mejia and McKenzie are two of the best prospects in baseball. Maybe they'd give up those two guys to the Marlins for both Realmuto/Yelich, but no way they are giving them up for Santana and Ponce.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 9:50 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Mejia/McKenzie for Santana/Ponce? I would want McKenzie involved in any deal for Santana.

That trade proposal is awful for Cleveland, no way would they accept.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 9:59 AM Post
I would take Mejia OR McKenzie with a low level prospect for Domingo Santana. OF's are a dime a dozen. OF's that can't run or play defense are a nickel a dozen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 10:34 AM Post
wallus said:
FVBrewerFan said:

That trade proposal is awful for Cleveland, no way would they accept.

100% agree - Santana isn't fetching two top 20 prospects.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 10:36 AM Post
madtownhawk said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I'm afraid that the Stearns would be hung up on immediately if he offered that up to the Indians. Mejia and McKenzie are two of the best prospects in baseball. Maybe they'd give up those two guys to the Marlins for both Realmuto/Yelich, but no way they are giving them up for Santana and Ponce.

Now that I read what I just wrote, I agree, and stand corrected. I would still focus on McKenzie, would that deal work straight-up Santana for McKenzie?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 11:36 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
madtownhawk said:
FVBrewerFan said:

Now that I read what I just wrote, I agree, and stand corrected. I would still focus on McKenzie, would that deal work straight-up Santana for McKenzie?

McKenzie is probably the one guy in the system that they might deem untouchable. If he was a Brewer, I don't know that I'd want to include him in a deal for Trout or Kershaw much less Santana. He's on track to hit the big leagues at age 22 and has done nothing but shine in his minor league career so far...and he still projects to add more heat to the low 90s he's been throwing at age 19. His off speed and command are surprisingly good for such a young pitcher, and he threw 143 innings last year which is a strong foundation to build on.

I'm completely on board with targeting/asking for McKenzie, I'd make that trade 1 for 1 personally. I just don't think he's a realistic target. The more likely target would be Mejia or a pitcher on their mlb roster. I could see a deal for Salazar+.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 6:13 PM Post
https://www.letsgotribe.com/2018/1/4/16849326/indians-still-willing-to-trade-danny-salazar

This would be the kind of post-hype guy I think the Brewers may be targeting. Acquiring Salazar, who is under team control until after the 2020 season, would be a great acquisition for the Brewers. However:

1. I wouldn't trade Lewis Brinson for him
2. I am not sure I would be willing to part with Domingo Santana for him
3. I doubt the Indians would be willing to deal him for Brett Phillips or Keon Broxton.

So where does that leave us? I think a Santana-Salazar straight up deal would probably be fair but if I were the Indians, why not just re-sign Jay Bruce and keep Salazar?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 6:36 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
https://www.letsgotribe.com/2018/1/4/16849326/indians-still-willing-to-trade-danny-salazar

This would be the kind of post-hype guy I think the Brewers may be targeting. Acquiring Salazar, who is under team control until after the 2020 season, would be a great acquisition for the Brewers. However:

3. I doubt the Indians would be willing to deal him for Brett Phillips or Keon Broxton.

So where does that leave us? I think a Santana-Salazar straight up deal would probably be fair but if I were the Indians, why not just re-sign Jay Bruce and keep Salazar?

Salazar has had a lot of elbow issues. With Celeveger emerging I can see why they want to deal him. I think Santana is worth more than h just based on his recent injury history

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 04, 2018, 6:48 PM Post
NOMAAM said:
Warning Track Power said:

Salazar has had a lot of elbow issues. With Celeveger emerging I can see why they want to deal him. I think Santana is worth more than h just based on his recent injury history

Santana is much better than Bruce as is, and has upside, and is much cheaper. You guys are spot on though that brinson shouldn't be involved in a Salazar deal and Santana has more value than Salazar straight up. They could tack on prospects to the deal, or work a Santana+ for Salazar and Mejia.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2018, 4:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
Marcell Ozuna’s comments with reporters in St. Louis today: “When I heard they were trying to trade me to the Oakland A’s I said, “God please leave me over here”. And then I heard they traded me to the Cardinals and I said “OK, thanks”.”

First that is some ruthless candidness that I am sure the self appointed “best fans in baseball” are eating up. Second, it reminded me (once again) that Oakland is a potential trade partner in need of outfield help.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 15, 2018, 5:53 PM Post
Well looks like we'll be keeping Broxton.

Cutch traded to San Fran.

Lets sign Arrieta and roll with the OFs we have... Phillips and Broxton platoon in CF, Brinson back to Colorado Springs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 15, 2018, 6:07 PM Post
I’d be shocked if Cleveland ever traded McKenzie. That’s a cautionary tale on how you have to find your own McKenzie in the draft or international signing. And once you’ve got him, forget about moving him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 23, 2018, 2:47 PM Post
I've been on board with exploring the market for Santana for a while now, but I'm starting to wonder if other teams just don't see his value to the point that would make DS feel comfortable trading him.

I have to think Santana would need to return a viable, #2, high-#3 type starting pitcher with some team control OR a strong offensive 2B to really be worth moving just given the roster right now. I guess it just seems less and less likely that teams are going to want to pony up for a very good hitting (though occasionally contact-challenged) OF, even one with four years of team control remaining, when pitching and offensive-minded middle infielders are such rare commodities.

I'm starting to get a little worried that this team isn't going to be able to capitalize on its OF depth to fill a position of need. I don't want to lose Brinson or Phillips, but are they more marketable? If so, maybe a move is worth it if it brings back the pitching part...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 23, 2018, 5:03 PM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:

I'm starting to get a little worried that this team isn't going to be able to capitalize on its OF depth to fill a position of need. I don't want to lose Brinson or Phillips, but are they more marketable? If so, maybe a move is worth it if it brings back the pitching part...

To be honest, sitting on Santana, Brinson and Phillips until the trade deadline or next season doesn't bother me one bit.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 114 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply