LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 114 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF

Author Message
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#61

Posted: December 11, 2017, 9:58 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8514
DS is in the driver seat here and should wait till he get blown away with an offer


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#62

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:08 AM Post
Posts: 136
I would take Panik in a trade. The crew has broken the strikeout record two years in a row, Panik would be a big step in the right direction towards lowering team strikeout numbers. DS has to be cognizant of this going into the offseason. Panik's power numbers have nowhere to go but up getting out of AT&T Park.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#63

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:24 AM Post
Posts: 1642
Location: New Berlin, WI
shanedog19 said:
I would take Panik in a trade. The crew has broken the strikeout record two years in a row, Panik would be a big step in the right direction towards lowering team strikeout numbers. DS has to be cognizant of this going into the offseason. Panik's power numbers have nowhere to go but up getting out of AT&T Park.


i don't think anybody is saying they don't want Panik. It's a matter of being the right deal and how we want to build the team, and if we want to give up on the upside of someone like Villar. Trading for Panik would basically be giving up on Villar.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#64

Posted: December 11, 2017, 7:16 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2625
From the Haudricourt article today, Brewers receiving interest in Domingo Santana on trade market but would ask for big return...

The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's are among the teams reported to have shown more than passing interest in Santana.
..........
Stearns quote: "We work very hard to acquire young talent and develop it, so there is an inclination to see that young talent progress and succeed in your organization. We also understand this game is about winning games at the major-league level and winning games at Miller Park. To the extent we think that’s best served by trading some of these younger players for others perhaps more ready to contribute at major-league level, we’re at the point where I’m at least willing to consider that."
..........
To have any chance of acquiring Santana, or any outfielder, you better be prepared to trade starting pitching to the Brewers. That is their primary need, particularly with right-hander Jimmy Nelson still recovering from shoulder surgery that is expected to sideline him for a good portion of the first half of the 2018 season.

So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#65

Posted: December 11, 2017, 8:20 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2267
Eye Black at Night said:
From the Haudricourt article today, [b]So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?


Seems like a perfect trade in terms of value, though I wonder if Oakland has a deep enough stable of pitching that they would consider trading a young SP. Billy Beane generally waits to trade those guys until they start to cost money.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#66

Posted: December 11, 2017, 9:40 PM Post
Posts: 2199
Interesting sell high talent but it would take a massive return to even consider it. This team had almost no offense at all down the stretch besides him. We have a lot of outfielders but not any that are very good at this point in their careers (yet in the case of Brinson, Phillips, and to a degree Broxton, downside in the case of Braun) at the MLB level besides Santana


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#67

Posted: December 11, 2017, 9:59 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5854
SF Giant Executive vice president of baseball operations Brian Sabean indicated that the Giants aren’t going to sign any players who rejected qualifying offers earlier this offseason. Said Sabean, “If you’re asking me personally, my vote would be a no, being that we wouldn’t want to get involved with somebody like that."

If that is true, it might seriously deter them from going after center fielder Lorenzo Cain. That could make Broxton a trade target.

The Giants want to retool - not rebuild. But they also want to avoid going into the luxury penalty zone. A cheap player like Broxton would be quite attractive. He would fit in nicely in SF - a fast, rangy OF in that park would do them wonders.

Any money the club saves could then be spent on other needs.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#68

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:55 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 839
Broxton to SF seems too obvious so it probably won't happen. I could see the A's all over Santana too


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#69

Posted: December 12, 2017, 8:49 AM Post
Posts: 1642
Location: New Berlin, WI
reillymcshane said:
SF Giant Executive vice president of baseball operations Brian Sabean indicated that the Giants aren’t going to sign any players who rejected qualifying offers earlier this offseason. Said Sabean, “If you’re asking me personally, my vote would be a no, being that we wouldn’t want to get involved with somebody like that."

If that is true, it might seriously deter them from going after center fielder Lorenzo Cain. That could make Broxton a trade target.

The Giants want to retool - not rebuild. But they also want to avoid going into the luxury penalty zone. A cheap player like Broxton would be quite attractive. He would fit in nicely in SF - a fast, rangy OF in that park would do them wonders.

Any money the club saves could then be spent on other needs.


I completely agree. I anticipate them trading for someone as I get the impression they want to bring in 2 OF. So someone like Bruce(no QO attached) could make sense if they want a lower cost/lower caliber option in RF...I assume to platoon to some degree with Pence. They also could look at McCutchen in CF if they want a more proven, higher caliber player in CF. So the Giants do have options available other than our guys, but I would be very surprised if they didn't bring in at least one of the two outfielders they want via trade.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#70

Posted: December 12, 2017, 8:52 AM Post
Posts: 1642
Location: New Berlin, WI
Eye Black at Night said:
From the Haudricourt article today, Brewers receiving interest in Domingo Santana on trade market but would ask for big return...

The San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's are among the teams reported to have shown more than passing interest in Santana.
..........
Stearns quote: "We work very hard to acquire young talent and develop it, so there is an inclination to see that young talent progress and succeed in your organization. We also understand this game is about winning games at the major-league level and winning games at Miller Park. To the extent we think that’s best served by trading some of these younger players for others perhaps more ready to contribute at major-league level, we’re at the point where I’m at least willing to consider that."
..........
To have any chance of acquiring Santana, or any outfielder, you better be prepared to trade starting pitching to the Brewers. That is their primary need, particularly with right-hander Jimmy Nelson still recovering from shoulder surgery that is expected to sideline him for a good portion of the first half of the 2018 season.

So how about Domingo Santana for A’s LHP Sean Manaea?


That framework does make sense for both teams, but I would prefer to target Manaea with other players if we were going to go that route. For me, Santana has more value than Manaea. I'd prefer to keep Santana and try packaging up players with Broxton to get Manaea if we are interested in him. I think a trade for Manaea would make sense for both teams. We have a lot to offer the Athletics, and they should have a good feel for our system from our deadline push for Gray.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#71

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:09 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6863
The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#72

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:11 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7899
turborickey said:
The issue I have with moving Santana for anything other than a TOR pitcher is the fact that without him, our offense will be less than average. Our offense in the 2nd half last season was horrible, Santana was our lone consistent bright spot. Remove him from that line up and replace him with a question mark, and regardless of our pitching, we will be in trouble. We have pitching options in house. Though it will be almost impossible, I'd move Braun since we can't count on him, and I'd move Broxton if we can find someone to bite. Exhaust all possibilities to move those two before considering trading any of the others. Trading our best offensive threat will do more negative damage than most are aware of.


Not if we sign JD Martinez to replace him.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#73

Posted: December 12, 2017, 4:37 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5854
This is from yesterday:

Brewers listening on Santana: Milwaukee is dangling Domingo Santana in its search for an affordable impact starting pitcher but not getting much traction in trade talks, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. The 25-year-old outfielder hit 30 home runs and made just $542,000 last season, so finding a team willing to give up as much as it would take to make a deal worth it for the Brewers won't be easy.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2173 ... uzz-rumors


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#74

Posted: December 12, 2017, 5:12 PM Post
Posts: 4559
Brewers seem to be spinnng on Santana......

https://twitter.com/haudricourt/status/ ... 8113392640


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#75

Posted: December 12, 2017, 5:42 PM Post
Posts: 747
Location: Madison, WI
It's not really shocking that Stearns would be shopping Santana because it may simply be a sell high move. Santana is not a great defensive player and that really limits his ceiling as a true superstar type player. His strikeout rate is high and if the ridiculous BABIP (.363) comes back down to earth then he's solid corner outfield bat but not a standout.

When I posted my trade suggestion earlier I hadn't realized that Baseball America had elevated Heliot Ramos to the Giants #1 prospect. Not so surprising considering he was a first round pick and really tore it up in rookie league ball. I'm more convinced that a Santana for Panik, Strickland, Beede, Ramos would be a great trade for Milwaukee. Hopefully the Giants would see Santana continuing to be a solid 3.5 WAR player and would offer up a package like that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#76

Posted: December 12, 2017, 6:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 726
Location: La Crosse
Santana for Machado. Make it happen Stearns!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#77

Posted: December 12, 2017, 6:07 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7899
OnaBadger58 said:
Santana for Machado. Make it happen Stearns!


Move Shaw to 1B and flip Thames for Archer.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#78

Posted: December 12, 2017, 7:33 PM Post
Posts: 11176
Well with Marlins shopping Ozuna and quite possibly Yelich and with J D Martinez out there as a FA, it's no wonder teams aren't valuing Santana all that high. Speaking of Martinez, why not make a big splash and sign him to take him off the market and take the best offer you can get for Santana? Then you could still deal Brinson or Phillips for a quality pitcher.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#79

Posted: December 12, 2017, 7:39 PM Post
Posts: 389
Would be interesting if we trade Santana to A's considering we just traded a power hitting OF to them two years ago.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Significant interest in Santana, other Brewers OF
#80

Posted: December 13, 2017, 12:41 AM Post
Posts: 1464
If TH is picking up on the sense that mke is spinning out santana at a sell high point most gms probably will as well.

I get the gripes about his defense but he's also a plus arm LF in reality. Brauns cemented there or he'd be there this year. His bat plays there though. Id assume stearns is trying to get ahead of the arby price spike because I dont see santana declining. He ks heavy but he's walked at every level and the obp isn't a mirage. Nor the power.

Would be a huge set back to the offense if we did trade him and the thought that we are trying to makes me think stearns doesn't see 2017 as an opening window but more the fact that he's collecting talent well. More signs towards a low $$$ investment short term filled scratch and dent offseason. Im ok with that as long as it means we give shots to the mlb or AAAA 2b and arms we need to figure out.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 114 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baldkin, Jopal78!, MillerParkSouth, MrAllen and 12 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test