LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Relief Pitching Targets

Online  Relief Pitching Targets

Posted: December 11, 2017, 3:17 PM Post
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/940329126497542144

Looks like Neshek will be plucked fairly quickly. I wonder if we are in on Neshek or not. Thoughts on whether 2/16 is too steep for him?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Relief Pitching Targets

Posted: December 11, 2017, 3:33 PM Post
Jon Heyman‏
@JonHeyman

Neshek headed to the phillies. 16-17M range @ToddZolecki mentioned
3:30 PM - 11 Dec 2017

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Relief Pitching Targets

Posted: December 11, 2017, 3:43 PM Post
Just so they can trade him to the highest bidder again in July? Ugh!

Personally, I'd rather have Swarzak at that price.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 3:55 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Just so they can trade him to the highest bidder again in July? Ugh!

Personally, I'd rather have Swarzak at that price.

I'm anticipating Swarzak being more expensive, but I agree I would like to bring him back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 4:20 PM Post
Would prefer cishek at that price. More consistent track record... not as old. Phi buying trade chips, annoying.

I'd also love Jake Mcgee. He's been knocked down a peg by coors and his numbers outside there are awesome.

Knebel cishek hader mcgee jeffress suter
With 1 spot for barnes getting 1st crack, williams 2nd, houser 3rd, then giving it to Fperalta if they all stumble before august. It's about all you can ask for in a pen. Post season knebel cishek hader mcgee fperalta could be deadly.

Last edited by TJseven7 on December 11, 2017, 4:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 4:20 PM Post
I'm really hoping we go hard after Addison Reed.

And Tony Watson from the left side.

How good would this bullpen be?!

Knebel
Reed
Hader
Watson
Barnes
Jeffress
Suter (LR)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 4:33 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
Would prefer cishek at that price. More consistent track record... not as old. Phi buying trade chips, annoying.

I'm not sure. They probably will never catch the Nats, but this is the beginning of the Phillies window. I'm not sure they're buying trade chips anymore. I guess this might be the last year if it doesn't get off to a great start that they'd be selling, but the wins should keep going in the up direction and they should be competing for a playoff spot by 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 4:46 PM Post
I hear you on the phi rebuild but that was us last year and we didn't buy pen pieces. Oh wait feliz if you want to count that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 4:49 PM Post
Sign Swarzak and try to get Rendon for a 2 year deal. I'm in the keep Hader in the bullpen camp (although with Nelson's injury, that became pretty tough).

Knebel
Swarzak
Hader
Rendon
T. Williams
Jeffress
Barnes
Houser/Suter

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:04 PM Post
Isn't that Rondon? I thought Rendon was the Nats' 3B.

I'd really like to see Swarzak back and I like the look of that bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:10 PM Post
MNBrew said:
Isn't that Rondon? I thought Rendon was the Nats' 3B.

I'd really like to see Swarzak back and I like the look of that bullpen.

Yes Rendon plays for Nats.

Rondon is the FA reliever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2017, 10:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Due to Swarzak's lack of track record, I think he'll get less than Neshak. Maybe more years, but not as much per year. Maybe $6-7M annually for 2-3 years.

Just my guess.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 12:26 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
Due to Swarzak's lack of track record, I think he'll get less than Neshak. Maybe more years, but not as much per year. Maybe $6-7M annually for 2-3 years.

Just my guess.

Btw... am I the only one who looks at swazak and goes, yeah had a great year but uh he's been very bad prior to that. I would have him on the wish list of adds but quite a ways lower than I hope to go.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 8:45 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
reillymcshane said:

Just my guess.

Btw... am I the only one who looks at swazak and goes, yeah had a great year but uh he's been very bad prior to that. I would have him on the wish list of adds but quite a ways lower than I hope to go.

Swarzak has made measurable changes to his pitch selection, and his stuff has generally improved in the bullpen. Maybe the league will adjust to his adjustments, maybe not. But right now he's a quality reliever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:04 AM Post
Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not? He was better with the Royals, and was really good in 2016. He'll be a lot cheaper now too!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:07 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Hey Feliz is out there. Seriously, those of you wanting to give Villar another chance, the same logic applies to Feliz does in not? He was better with the Royals, and was really good in 2016. He'll be a lot cheaper now too!

And here is why people get upset with you. You've done a great job proving everyone's point.

But with your point, if they could get him for ultra cheap or an invite to camp... sign me up. Ya just never know with relievers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:46 AM Post
Brew4U said:
JohnBriggs12 said:

And here is why people get upset with you. You've done a great job proving everyone's point.

But with your point, if they could get him for ultra cheap or an invite to camp... sign me up. Ya just never know with relievers.

Yep, perhaps Feliz could be a decent middle-innings reliever. If you strike out with Swarsak or some of the other high-priced relievers out there, why not? It would have to be a minor league deal with Spring Training invite. Same with KRod. Never know when you're going to catch lightning in a bottle ... especially with relievers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 9:59 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

I would absolutely offer Feliz a minor league deal for <$1M with an invite to camp. If he's great, he makes the team. If he's ok, maybe he makes the end of the bullpen. If he bombs, he goes to AAA or is released.

This is the same deal for Villar. His salary is <$1M ~$3M (more than I thought but still inexpensive). He will be at camp to earn a place on the team. If he's great, he will be the starting 2B. If he's ok, maybe he makes the bench while Sogard/Perez/FA signing starts. If he bombs, he's traded, released or DFA.

Last edited by mrn1ceguy on December 12, 2017, 10:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 10:13 AM Post
Villar is arbitration eligible and the estimate on him is that he will earn 3 million in 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
My preferred targets were Anthony Swarzak and Tommy Hunter but so far the free agent guesses for relievers seem to have been about 20%-25% low (based on Neshek and Morrow). If relief pitchers keep going at these types of rates, Swarzak is probably in line for a 2 year, 17 million dollar deal and Hunter would be at something like 2 years, 14.5 million. I'd probably still go with Hunter at that rate but I don't know if Swarzak has the track record to justify that type of deal when talking about a small-market team.

I'm starting to think my primary targets now would be Tommy Hunter and Kelvin Herrera (trade). I also really like the Hector Rondon suggestion but would prefer to only be at one year on him.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply