LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

J.T. Realmuto

Author Message
Offline  J.T. Realmuto
#1

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:25 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3054
Catcher J.T. Realmuto has requested a trade from the Marlins (Link). Three years of team control for one of the best catchers in baseball. I hope the Brewers strongly consider making the Marlins an offer for him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#2

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:26 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8162
I could get on board with that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#3

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:30 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1892
If we're sitting this year out as it appears we are, I don't see making this trade. You could basically call it 2 years of control. Probably will go for a little bit more than I'd be willing to offer.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#4

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:39 AM Post
Posts: 11375
bill hAll Star said:
If we're sitting this year out as it appears we are, I don't see making this trade. You could basically call it 2 years of control. Probably will go for a little bit more than I'd be willing to offer.



Where is this notion that "we are sitting out this year" coming from? It's December. I get that they passed on the higher price relievers but they are involved in negotiations with lots of teams about starting pitching and all the top FA are still out there. Is it the talk about dealing Santana? My take on that is they have a plan to add a FA bat and get major league talent in return for Santana. How is that construed as "taking a year off"?

Certainly if they were to add Realmuto, that's not "taking a year off" even if Santana was the trade chip. The FA crop has quality bats in it. How about dealing for Realmuto and signing JD Martinez?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#5

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:42 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1892
JohnBriggs12 said:
bill hAll Star said:
If we're sitting this year out as it appears we are, I don't see making this trade. You could basically call it 2 years of control. Probably will go for a little bit more than I'd be willing to offer.



Where is this notion that "we are sitting out this year" coming from? It's December. I get that they passed on the higher price relievers but they are involved in negotiations with lots of teams about starting pitching and all the top FA are still out there. Is it the talk about dealing Santana? My take on that is they have a plan to add a FA bat and get major league talent in return for Santana. How is that construed as "taking a year off"?

Certainly if they were to add Realmuto, that's not "taking a year off" even if Santana was the trade chip. The FA crop has quality bats in it. How about dealing for Realmuto and signing JD Martinez?


I'm not suggesting we are completely out of the running, but I don't see many ways that I'd call us odds-on likely to win the division at this point of the offseason save for something that tears apart our future. This would actually be part of that plan.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#6

Posted: December 18, 2017, 10:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8953
I would love it if the Brewers went after this guy. They probably won't but he would be a great get for them.

Go get Realmuto and Kyle Barraclough. Both would be great additions to this team.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#7

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:14 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4707
aren't there better places to use our resources than catcher? I can't see atleast one of our top guys having to be used to make this trade.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#8

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:24 PM Post
Posts: 264
Realmuto may be one of the names that brings Brinson to the trading block. If not, he should be.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#9

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:30 PM Post
Posts: 967
How is he a huge upgrade? What am I missing here? I would rather use our trade chips on a bigger upgrade.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#10

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:45 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8635
maybe the Yankees can add him for a bag of ball going back to jeter


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#11

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:49 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3054
I think catcher is a position that gets vastly underrated in terms of its importance, and Realmuto is the player who is probably the most underrated player at the catcher position. Adding Realmuto would instantly give the Brewers an advantage over 90% of the league at the catcher position. In terms of roster construction, having an elite catcher is a significant upgrade because the supply of them is so scarce. The flip side is that the risk of injury and "wear and tear" for a catcher is probably the highest among any position players.

In the case of Realmuto he is good both defensively and offensively, and according to Statcast is one of the fastest players in baseball (and the fastest catcher by a long shot). He would a very nice addition for the next three years if the cost in prospects was reasonable.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#12

Posted: December 18, 2017, 12:59 PM Post
Posts: 2020
Location: New Berlin, WI
Eye Black at Night said:
I think catcher is a position that gets vastly underrated in terms of its importance, and Realmuto is the player who is probably the most underrated player at the catcher position. Adding Realmuto would instantly give the Brewers an advantage over 90% of the league at the catcher position. In terms of roster construction, having an elite catcher is a significant upgrade because the supply of them is so scarce. The flip side is that the risk of injury and "wear and tear" for a catcher is probably the highest among any position players.

In the case of Realmuto he is good both defensively and offensively, and according to stat cast is one of the fastest players in baseball (and the fastest catcher by a long shot). He would a very nice addition for the next three years if the cost in prospects was reasonable.


This is spot on, I've never understood why good catchers don't get bigger contracts. The upgrade from Pina to Realmuto is significant, and Realmuto still has upside. And I couldn't agree more that he's one of the most underrated at his position.

This deal would only make sense for us if Miami valued Pina as he is. They could look at Pina as a downgrade but still very serviceable/cheap catcher that could be traded later for prospects. Pina/Ray/Ponce for Realmuto. Or for those in the trade for Yelich camp, Realmuto/Yelich for Pina/Broxton/Harrison/Peralta/Diaz plus a flier or two. That could push us towards a Santana+ for Archer trade, and successfully trade some of our minor league depth for young, controllable talent.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#13

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:00 PM Post
Posts: 343
OK - so, I'll play along here. How about:

Brewers get: Realmuto and Starlin Castro (to take back some salary relief)

Dbacks get: Villar, Ortiz and either Dubon or Isan Diaz

Does that deal get it done, or is it likely the Fish will get a better offer out there?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#14

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1892
I guess here is the debate I am having in reference to my post earlier in the thread and really for any player with under 4 years of control (and I'd even argue I don't want someone with 4 years).

Let's first grant an optimistic projection of a team with no Nelson for most of the year of 85 wins. The Cubs are projected 90-93ish, the Cards high 80s, the Pirates I think will bounce back and be at low 80s, the Reds in the low 70s.

Say you deal Ortiz, Supak, and 2 higher upside A-level guys for Barraclough and Realmuto. Now you're maybe at an 89 win projection. Are you confident that you'll take down the Cubs yet? If not, now you have to unload 3-4 more prospects to get Archer. Or you have to go out and sign a free agent like Lynn (I'd actually be OK with this part).

You start pushing more and more chips on the table when you realize that this team still cannot safely be projected above the Cubs and maybe Cards even with Realmuto and another major piece or two that we've dealt for in 2018.

If you don't win it all this year with those players added, you're now looking at Realmuto joining the giant group of players (Nelson, Davies, Shaw, Thames, Braun, Knebel, Santana, other acquired 2-3 year control guy, Villar (if he rebounds), and some support players), most of which are already on the back end of their prime that are free agents after 2020 or a few of them after 2021 and you've already cut into your farm system.

So given that above paragraph going into 2019...are you going to sit on another ~90 win team (if most things go right) or are you going to push the rest of the chips from your farm system on to the table to try to beat the Cubs who may have just added Bryce Harper?

So I say no to Realmuto. I'd make a call to see if Jeter or their GM is drunk and gives him up for a song, but I'm taking the long view. If we do anything, it should be in free agency.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#15

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1366
bill hAll Star said:
I guess here is the debate I am having in reference to my post earlier in the thread and really for any player with under 4 years of control (and I'd even argue I don't want someone with 4 years).

Let's first grant an optimistic projection of a team with no Nelson for most of the year of 85 wins. The Cubs are projected 90-93ish, the Cards high 80s, the Pirates I think will bounce back and be at low 80s, the Reds in the low 70s.

Say you deal Ortiz, Supak, and 2 higher upside A-level guys for Barraclough and Realmuto. Now you're maybe at an 89 win projection. Are you confident that you'll take down the Cubs yet? If not, now you have to unload 3-4 more prospects to get Archer. Or you have to go out and sign a free agent like Lynn (I'd actually be OK with this part).

You start pushing more and more chips on the table when you realize that this team still cannot safely be projected above the Cubs and maybe Cards even with Realmuto and another major piece or two that we've dealt for in 2018.

If you don't win it all this year with those players added, you're now looking at Realmuto joining the giant group of players (Nelson, Davies, Shaw, Thames, Braun, Knebel, Santana, other acquired 2-3 year control guy, Villar (if he rebounds), and some support players), most of which are already on the back end of their prime that are free agents after 2020 or a few of them after 2021 and you've already cut into your farm system.

So given that above paragraph going into 2019...are you going to sit on another ~90 win team (if most things go right) or are you going to push the rest of the chips from your farm system on to the table to try to beat the Cubs who may have just added Bryce Harper?

So I say no to Realmuto. I'd make a call to see if Jeter or their GM is drunk and gives him up for a song, but I'm taking the long view. If we do anything, it should be in free agency.


Well, shoot. If you have this season already figured out and we are destined for mediocrity should we even suit up and play it?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#16

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:21 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2880
Location: California
I like Realmuto a ton but I would much rather sign Lucroy than deal the necessary prospects for Realmuto.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#17

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:27 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6088
Realmuto would be a really nice addition - but I think he will cost a ton.

The guy has a ton of positives. He's a good hitter and defensive player, he doesn't really have big splits, and he's in his prime (27 next march). Also, something that could really be interesting is that he's played half of his games in Miami - which has hurt his offensive production. For his career, in Miamii he has a .645 OPS. On the road it's .845 - a 200 point difference.

As I said, a really good player - and will cost a lot.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#18

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:28 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1892
liveforoctober said:
bill hAll Star said:
I guess here is the debate I am having in reference to my post earlier in the thread and really for any player with under 4 years of control (and I'd even argue I don't want someone with 4 years).

Let's first grant an optimistic projection of a team with no Nelson for most of the year of 85 wins. The Cubs are projected 90-93ish, the Cards high 80s, the Pirates I think will bounce back and be at low 80s, the Reds in the low 70s.

Say you deal Ortiz, Supak, and 2 higher upside A-level guys for Barraclough and Realmuto. Now you're maybe at an 89 win projection. Are you confident that you'll take down the Cubs yet? If not, now you have to unload 3-4 more prospects to get Archer. Or you have to go out and sign a free agent like Lynn (I'd actually be OK with this part).

You start pushing more and more chips on the table when you realize that this team still cannot safely be projected above the Cubs and maybe Cards even with Realmuto and another major piece or two that we've dealt for in 2018.

If you don't win it all this year with those players added, you're now looking at Realmuto joining the giant group of players (Nelson, Davies, Shaw, Thames, Braun, Knebel, Santana, other acquired 2-3 year control guy, Villar (if he rebounds), and some support players), most of which are already on the back end of their prime that are free agents after 2020 or a few of them after 2021 and you've already cut into your farm system.

So given that above paragraph going into 2019...are you going to sit on another ~90 win team (if most things go right) or are you going to push the rest of the chips from your farm system on to the table to try to beat the Cubs who may have just added Bryce Harper?

So I say no to Realmuto. I'd make a call to see if Jeter or their GM is drunk and gives him up for a song, but I'm taking the long view. If we do anything, it should be in free agency.


Well, shoot. If you have this season already figured out and we are destined for mediocrity should we even suit up and play it?


Understanding and being realistic about stuff like this is literally what makes a good GM and organization.

The Astros didn't trade their farm system for 2 or 3 years of players in 2013. They still suited up and it meant something.

To answer the question, they should suit up because it is still entirely possible to win the division and it is also more important to evaluate which players are best to keep around and develop for the years that I would hope they can win the division.

If the Brewers are 6 games up on the Cubs at the trade deadline but have a giant hole at catcher, sign me up for this trade.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#19

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 389
Warning Track Power said:
I like Realmuto a ton but I would much rather sign Lucroy than deal the necessary prospects for Realmuto.


I like that idea as well, but then we would need to deal a couple catchers to someone and I'm not sure how much we can get back if everyone knows we have to trade them or keep 5 or 6 catchers on the 40 man. I think either Bandy or Susac are out of options, so I wouldn't mind trading that one and the Ray's, Gatewoods, Ponces or Stokes of the system for him. Like you said though, I would not want to give up any future pieces, but quantity over quality for a nice upgrade up the middle would be great.

Something like Ray, Susac/Bandy, Ponce, Wren.

(I was going to look up the list of players coming up for 40 man protection next year, but can't find it.)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
#20

Posted: December 18, 2017, 1:40 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8953
Sign him, buy out his last two years of Arby and tack on another year or two worth some real money to the guy. We could get him under contract until he's 30 years old and then he can go out and get another big payday as he leads us to our first World Series trophy.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeithStone53151, leitermab07, nate82 and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test