LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 42  Next  [ 832 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

J.T. Realmuto

Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto (Requests Trade - Post #85)
Posted: May 22, 2018, 7:42 PM Post
At the risk of being strung up I’d like to propose JT for Huira and Hader. And then try to expand that by adding Villar, Ray, Erceg, and Ponce for Castro and international monies. (I’m ducking right now)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2018, 7:47 PM Post
Agreed, thanks Joseph for the explanations. I do have to play devils' advocate here.

Would this not give Yelich $140M in surplus value? 5 years of control at 4 WAR per, at 9.16 per WAR is 183.2M, minus his contract is about $140M.

The chart seems a little too rigid to me. There obviously isn't $27M value difference between the 25th and 26th prospects. I'd prefer a mathematical formula where there's more staggering between each pick. The 1st and 10th best prospects obviously aren't worth the same either

For instance, Brinson was on the 11-25/26-50 border when we traded for him, so I'd split the difference and call him $57M. Harrison would have been firmly in the 50-75 tier at 23M, Isan a top 10 organizational at $11.5 and Yamamoto a fringe at $2M+.

That would only give the Marlins $93-$94M coming back in the Yelich deal compared to $140M for Yelich.

I guess my point is that while this is interesting I'm just looking for some sort of real life comparable trade of this magnitude where this appeared to actually be used as a guideline.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2018, 7:52 PM Post
Clemente’s Dream said:
At the risk of being strung up I’d like to propose JT for Huira and Hader. And then try to expand that by adding Villar, Ray, Erceg, and Ponce for Castro and international monies. (I’m ducking right now)

All sounds great as long as you are a Marlins fan and not a Brewer fan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2018, 9:42 PM Post
Why would the Brewers trade Hader? I dont see it happening.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2018, 10:00 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Clemente’s Dream said:

I just think that JT has much more long term value at a more important position. Relievers are often up and down year to year. Of course the Brewers would never to it because fans are rightfully enamored of Hader. I’m also not convinced that Huira has a long term future with Brewers. Until that arm is fixed he smells like a DH. Castro would offer genuine stability at second base and I don’t think Erceg or Ponce will ultimately make it. Losing Villar gets rid of the headache and upgrades us defensively. Anyways, it all just idle speculation but I do believe the Brewers would be better this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2018, 10:09 PM Post
Clemente’s Dream said:
adambr2 said:
Clemente’s Dream said:

I just think that JT has much more long term value at a more important position. Relievers are often up and down year to year. Of course the Brewers would never to it because fans are rightfully enamored of Hader. I’m also not convinced that Huira has a long term future with Brewers. Until that arm is fixed he smells like a DH. Castro would offer genuine stability at second base and I don’t think Erceg or Ponce will ultimately make it. Losing Villar gets rid of the headache and upgrades us defensively. Anyways, it all just idle speculation but I do believe the Brewers would be better this year.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I personally think your valuations are crazy off. Without even getting into JT vs. Hader the pieces you are proposing giving up for Castro would cause widespread rioting in Milwaukee.

Castro is barely if at all an upgrade from Villar and his 8 figure a year salary gives him absolutely no surplus value. I could see acquiring him but it would have to be a strict salary dump and nothing more like Walker last year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 6:53 AM Post
I don’t think the Brewers are concerned about Pina. He has rebounded off his miserable start. I doubt he hits like last year, enough offense that his defense is well worth it. I don’t know how hard it is to acquire a back-up catcher in July, but that seems a lot more likely.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 8:52 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Agreed, thanks Joseph for the explanations. I do have to play devils' advocate here.

Would this not give Yelich $140M in surplus value? 5 years of control at 4 WAR per, at 9.16 per WAR is 183.2M, minus his contract is about $140M.

The chart seems a little too rigid to me. There obviously isn't $27M value difference between the 25th and 26th prospects. I'd prefer a mathematical formula where there's more staggering between each pick. The 1st and 10th best prospects obviously aren't worth the same either

For instance, Brinson was on the 11-25/26-50 border when we traded for him, so I'd split the difference and call him $57M. Harrison would have been firmly in the 50-75 tier at 23M, Isan a top 10 organizational at $11.5 and Yamamoto a fringe at $2M+.

That would only give the Marlins $93-$94M coming back in the Yelich deal compared to $140M for Yelich.

I guess my point is that while this is interesting I'm just looking for some sort of real life comparable trade of this magnitude where this appeared to actually be used as a guideline.

Without going through all the numbers again, I had Yelich as having 150 million dollars in surplus value before the trade was made. Also felt that was unrealistic for the Marlins to get that based on the type of packages that would be required to reach that figure. I thought 120 million was achieveable and put that as the price the Marlins would likely seek. I had the package the Brewers surrendering at 110 million at the time. I suspect the difference between the 110 million and the 93-94 million that you estimated is due to Brinson as I probably slotted him in the the 11-25 group. I called the trade a slight bargain for the Brewers, that's what the numbers showed even though I didn't like the trade.

Your 140 million dollar surplus value on Yelich seems like it would be very accurate in terms of the raw numbers. Although like with the Marlins, if the Brewers put him on the market they would only likely be able to fetch a return in the 95-100 million dollar range.

The chart isn't meant to be rigid at all. We can all argue about where someone like Brandon Woodruff would be slotted. Someone could also legitimately argue that Burnes should be right at the top end of the 51-75 group and therefore should be assigned a number closer to the 26-50 group rather than the 51-75 group. Lots of "play" involved. What I think the chart is best for is identifying completely lop-sided/ridiculous sort of trade suggestions. For example, if someone suggested Realmuto for Erceg + Ponce + Nottingham, it's hard to look at the numbers and find a way that this trade would make any sense for the Marlins.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 8:56 AM Post
Clemente’s Dream said:

I would think that is close to accurate.

My guess is the Marlins asked that Hader be included and got hung up on, then asked for Burnes and got refused.

The Brewers would be better with JT, but they cannot afford to lose their pitching depth in MiLB in Burnes, Peralta, Ortiz etc. Those guys are a core part of 2019-2022.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 9:04 AM Post
Hader is not going to be even tossed around as part of any trade discussions this year. It just doesn't make any sense to put that big of a hole in your pen to patch another area.

The absolute only way I could see Hader traded is if we kind of disappointed this year, won 75-80 games, were convinced Hader isn't ever going to be a starter, and got an absolute monster offer in the offseason. Even then I'm not sure we would do it. It would need to be a clear overpay.

Burnes is a much more realistic discussion piece for Realmuto, Hader is not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 9:18 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Clemente’s Dream said:

I would think that is close to accurate.

My guess is the Marlins asked that Hader be included and got hung up on, then asked for Burnes and got refused.

The Brewers would be better with JT, but they cannot afford to lose their pitching depth in MiLB in Burnes, Peralta, Ortiz etc. Those guys are a core part of 2019-2022.

Not singling out you because a lot of posters have said similar things, but the whole notion that GMs "hang up" on each other if they feel the ask isn't fair is really dumb. GMs don't operate that way, regardless of how Billy Beane was portrayed in Moneyball or how Kevin Costner played the fictional Browns GM in Draft Day. I would think any GMs that do operate that way won't be GMs for long. These guys are professionals, and there is a strong modicum of mutual respect amongst them.

Heck I bet Doug Melvin wouldn't have even "hung up" on Sandy Alderson post Gomez trade debacle ... and if anyone had a reason to at the time, it was Melvin. And yes, I know the Plan B trade has kind of worked out for the Brewers [wink]

But on topic, I'm sure the Marlins are asking for a nice ransom for Realmuto, as they should be. The Brewers system is deep enough to absorb that ask and not be "gutted", although I'm sure there are many here who disagree with that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 9:21 AM Post
I would guess most people mean "hung up on" as a metaphorical term rather than a literal one. I do in any case.

These guys are probably texting each other anyway. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 5:37 PM Post
There is no way I trade Hader not for JT sorry not even any of our young arms.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2018, 7:58 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
There is no way I trade Hader not for JT sorry not even any of our young arms.

Wait, you wouldn't trade any young arms for Realmuto? Can't say I agree with that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 3:12 PM Post
Pina, Medieros, Hauser and Ray. Is that enough? I can't seeing doing much more.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 3:17 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
Pina, Medieros, Hauser and Ray. Is that enough? I can't seeing doing much more.

Nope. Not even close IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 3:22 PM Post
Then I pass.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 3:24 PM Post
If people really believe Pina was going to be a 2 WAR/season player over the next few years then maybe but most don't and if the Brewers think that they probably don't go after Realmuto.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 6:14 PM Post
Hader is not an option for a trade... Especially during the season

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2018, 6:33 PM Post
The wide ranges of trade proposals is kinda amusing. I can't see any way we get Realmuto without at least giving up one of Burnes/Peralta.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 42  Next  [ 832 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply