LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next  [ 258 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

J.T. Realmuto

Online  Re: J.T. Realmuto (Requests Trade - Post #85)
Posted: April 19, 2018, 10:44 AM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Burnes going nowhere, especially not for a catcher. Imho

I agree. That's why Realmuto won't be a Brewer. The need just doesn't justify the cost.

If/when Burnes is dealt, it will be for a controllable top-of-rotation guy.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto (Requests Trade - Post #85)
Posted: April 19, 2018, 7:16 PM Post
Oxy said:
Okay, so what would it take to get Realmuto + Prado? Woodruff, Perez, and Bethancourt/Nottingham/Pina? Is that too much cash to put on the payroll next year?

I don't think the Brewers have the money to eat Prado's salary for this year and next. But say they did, as the mock Marlin's representative I'd want something like this:

Brewers get: C-J.T. Realmuto, IF-Martin Prado
Marlins get: RHP-Luis Ortiz, OF-Corey Ray, RHP-Trey Supak, RHP-Zack Brown

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2018, 8:09 PM Post
JosephC said:
Oxy said:
Okay, so what would it take to get Realmuto + Prado? Woodruff, Perez, and Bethancourt/Nottingham/Pina? Is that too much cash to put on the payroll next year?

I don't think the Brewers have the money to eat Prado's salary for this year and next. But say they did, as the mock Marlin's representative I'd want something like this:

Where do I sign?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2018, 8:26 PM Post
JosephC said:
Oxy said:

I can understand the willingness to part with Ortiz and trying to cash in while Ray appears to have some life/ value again.
That said, I can't see the Marlins settling for a pitcher like Ortiz (that has never pitched 100 IP in a single season) and letting the Brewers keep all of Burnes/ Woodruff/ Peralta. Getting a top arm for them is key, one that can be in the majors/ rotation by the end of 2019 (if not sooner)...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 19, 2018, 8:48 PM Post
The Brewers would be eating over 27 million in salary over the rest of 2018 and 2019 for taking on Martin Prado's contract. Even if the Marlin's really made this offer, I'd wager that the Brewers would turn it down due to the financial impact of Prado's 2019 salary (15 million).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2018, 10:51 PM Post
Going to use the accepted Lucroy trade as a comp and work up from there, (Mejia, Chang, Armstrong, Allen), the one to the Indians, not the one to the Rangers because that also included Jeffress.

Nottingham seems like a natural inclusion to this deal, but he doesn't carry the value that Mejia did so you'll have to top that elsewhere. So Burnes is the headliner, probably as good or better than Mejia was at the time.

So you've got Burnes and Nottingham so far. I think you need to top the Lucroy deal as Realmuto is younger and more controlled than Lucroy was at the time.

So you need a strong 3rd piece, and here I'd say with his resurgence, Corey Ray fits the bill. My preference would be to include Phillips or Grisham instead, my gut tells me the Marlins would prefer Ray.

My final piece is Jean Carmona -- an attractive enough inclusion to interest the Marlins as a strong lottery ticket, while also being far enough away to make the Brewers comfortable including him.

So the deal looks like Burnes, Ray, Nottingham, and Carmona for Realmuto. Thoughts, too little, too much?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2018, 10:56 PM Post
It feels like too much but probably isn’t.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 1:10 AM Post
Brew4U said:
It feels like too much but probably isn’t.

Yeah, its definitely going to hurt just like we knew getting Yelich would. No way of getting around that without just avoiding doing it, unfortunately. However, some good things about it IMO:

1) We hang onto our top prospect and 2B of the future who the Marlins will surely be demanding.

2) We cash in high on 2 guys in Ray and Nottingham who both frankly had pretty deflated value before the season.

3) Most importantly, we are totally set at catcher through 2020, fill a major weakness and add another stud to the top of our lineup which gets even deeper. Getting Yelich was great but you could argue that OF was already a strength. Catcher isn't, but it would be now.

You could argue that the farm can sustain the losses here. Burnes hurts, but we've still got Peralta, Ortiz, Medeiros, Ponce, Supak, etc. OF is getting thin, but with what we've got at the MLB level it's not a huge concern and there are still some nice OF prospects in the system.

1) Cain
2) Yelich
3) Realmuto
4) Shaw
5) Santana/Braun
6) Thames/Aguilar
7) Villar
8) Arcia

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 6:12 AM Post
I'm just not seeing catcher as such a major weakness. Pina got off to a slow start but over the last few weeks, he's swung the bat really well and his defense is stellar. They need a better backup than Bandy, but they have that guy in Bethancourt. I'm confounded that he hasn't yet replaced Bandy.

Could they use one more big bat? Certainly. That guy's out there. He's a rental and won't cost as much as Realmuto, but he'd make the lineup one of the best in the game. That's Machado.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 6:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
So the deal looks like Burnes, Ray, Nottingham, and Carmona for Realmuto. Thoughts, too little, too much?

To me this seems close to what it should cost. I could see them requesting someone like Erceg in place of Ray, which may be a dealbreaker for me. It would be a painful hit to the system (as to be expected), but I think I would make the deal you outlined above for Realmuto.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 6:50 AM Post
Dealing for Realmuto pushes Pina in a backup role where he probably belongs on a really good team. I’d let Realmuto catch 105-110 and then play first about 15 game a season. This would open up 50+ games for Pina to not get banged up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 7:48 AM Post
I would do a Realmuto and Prado (pay half of his 2019 salary) for Burnes, Nottingham, Sogard, and Ponce. Then you DFA Prado.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 7:58 AM Post
adambr2 said:

1) Cain
2) Yelich
3) Realmuto
4) Shaw
5) Santana/Braun
6) Thames/Aguilar
7) Villar
8) Arcia

Flip Santana/Braun with Thames/Aguilar and I could get on board with that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Dealing for Realmuto pushes Pina in a backup role where he probably belongs on a really good team. I’d let Realmuto catch 105-110 and then play first about 15 game a season. This would open up 50+ games for Pina to not get banged up.

I do not know how Realmuto stacks up defensively, so I assume ignorance on that.

I don't like the trade because it is at catcher. Best case we are talking about starting 125 games out of season. Add in the fact that catchers get more beat up more than any other position, I would hate to sink too many assets and then a ball hits him wrong and he is out six weeks. That is why I didn't mind the Yelich trade, he is going to start (or should start) 155 games. That is 25% more games from Realmuto to Yelich.

We will be shoehorning starts at 1B soon enough again when Braun and Thames are back, so I wouldn't count on that at all.

But, if he batted lefty or if we were able to replace Burnes with a couple of different pieces I may not be able to stop myself from offering that deal.

Edit: I also want to state that I don't want to diminish Pina's role in the performance that our pitchers have put up the last two years. Realmuto could come in and hit 100 more points OPS, but Pina may save a .25+ of a run a game more with his handling of the pitchers, framing, blocking and his arm. Once again, don't know enough about Realmuto.

Last edited by Roderick on May 21, 2018, 1:02 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 11:10 AM Post
1) Cain
2) Yelich
3) Realmuto
4) Machado
5) Shaw
6) Aguilar/Thames
7) Santana/Braun
8) Villar
9) 2018 World Series Champions

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 11:16 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
1) Cain
2) Yelich
3) Realmuto
4) Machado
5) Shaw
6) Aguilar/Thames
7) Santana/Braun
8) Villar
9) 2018 World Series Champions

That lineup is ridiculous. You could probably pull off both, but you'd have to gut your farm system like its 2010.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 11:45 AM Post
I believe you can hit the point of diminishing returns when you make too many win-now moves. That basically means you're not getting enough of a bump in your chances of winning a title to justify the long-term costs. Even a clearly superior team can lose in the playoffs because they're so short compared to the regular season. I prefer to try to maximize the number of playoff appearances, as opposed to putting all your eggs in one basket.

Just don't see the price on Realmuto being low enough to balance that loss against the improvement in the team. I wouldn't complain much if they did pull a deal and I would sit back and try to enjoy it, but I'm leaning against it in a big way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 1:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
coolhandluke121 said:
I believe you can hit the point of diminishing returns when you make too many win-now moves. That basically means you're not getting enough of a bump in your chances of winning a title to justify the long-term costs. Even a clearly superior team can lose in the playoffs because they're so short compared to the regular season. I prefer to try to maximize the number of playoff appearances, as opposed to putting all your eggs in one basket.

Just don't see the price on Realmuto being low enough to balance that loss against the improvement in the team. I wouldn't complain much if they did pull a deal and I would sit back and try to enjoy it, but I'm leaning against it in a big way.

In support, I would also argue that if we are going to be a really good team, we are going to need to keep producing cheap, young talent - in particular pitching. That means Ortiz, Peralta, Woodruff, Burnes, etc. need to come up and fill rotation slots. With luck, one or two blossom into something more than just back of the rotation types (not that there's anything wrong with a back of the rotation guy. It's just that we need guys to rise above that at some point.

But if we trade away too many of our decent looking arms, we are saddled with chasing marginal (or even bad) free agents to fill out the rotation. Depleting the farm system has some serious consequences.

I'm not saying we don't try and trade for Machado or Realmuto or whomever - only that we have to be careful we don't sap us of too much young talent - which we will need going forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 2:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
coolhandluke121 said:
Even a clearly superior team can lose in the playoffs because they're so short compared to the regular season. I prefer to try to maximize the number of playoff appearances, as opposed to putting all your eggs in one basket.

I agree with you as I also favor moves that increase the likelihood that the Brewers field a good team for several years, but I would add that even with maximizing the number of playoff appearances there are obviously still no guarantees.

I think the Washington Nationals of the past 6-7 seasons illustrate just how difficult it can be for a well assembled team to win a championship even given a longer window to be competitive. The Nationals have won 95 or more games in four of the past six seasons, but yet they have never even reached the NLCS. Imagine how frustrating it would be to have that amount of talent for a stretch of several years and continually fail to advance beyond of the Divisional Series. I am not saying the Nationals necessarily did anything wrong (well maybe aside from shutting down Strasburg in 2012), but I would guess that, barring a World Series appearance this season, many of their fans will consider the 2010's to have been somewhat of a disappointment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2018, 3:08 PM Post
JosephC said:
Oxy said:

Take out Supak and replace him with someone more proven like Peralta or Burnes, and add in Nottingham and I think you have something that the Marlins would at least have to ponder. Realmuto will not be cheap. Hell they might hang up if they don't hear Hiura involved.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next  [ 258 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply