LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 48  Next  [ 951 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

J.T. Realmuto

Online  Re: J.T. Realmuto
Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
Just catching up, but saw this Craig Mish Tweet from earlier today. Craig usually has credible inside information when it comes specifically to the Marlins:

Sources indicate the Braves have a strong offer on the table for Marlins All Star Catcher J.T. Realmuto. MIA may prefer him dealt outside of NL East, but at this point team is operating as though a trade is likely to happen.

Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
Posted: November 08, 2018, 11:09 AM Post
Eye Black said:
Just catching up, but saw this Craig Mish Tweet from earlier today. Craig usually has credible inside information when it comes specifically to the Marlins:

Sources indicate the Braves have a strong offer on the table for Marlins All Star Catcher J.T. Realmuto. MIA may prefer him dealt outside of NL East, but at this point team is operating as though a trade is likely to happen.

Yes at this point it just seems highly unlikely that we trade for him - since Braves can easily match/beat any of our offers. Which, since it appears that we would definitely be giving up Burnes or Hiura, is fine by me.

website

Posted: November 08, 2018, 11:28 AM Post
mattyo said:
Eye Black said:

Yes at this point it just seems highly unlikely that we trade for him - since Braves can easily match/beat any of our offers. Which, since it appears that we would definitely be giving up Burnes or Hiura, is fine by me.

Agreed, when I read the Braves would refuse to give up their top prospects I thought it was good for the Brewers until I looked at their second tier of prospects. Sure we would could compete with a Woodruff/Peralta and Ray type offer but the Braves could top that without having to give up too much of their prospect depth. And really all of the big 3 pitchers and Hiura are needed here so I would rather look at other ways to improve the offense. I think I am over the Realmuto hope for now.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 11:36 AM Post
OldHeidelberg said:
Agreed, when I read the Braves would refuse to give up their top prospects I thought it was good for the Brewers until I looked at their second tier of prospects. Sure we would could compete with a Woodruff/Peralta and Ray type offer but the Braves could top that without having to give up too much of their prospect depth. And really all of the big 3 pitchers and Hiura are needed here so I would rather look at other ways to improve the offense. I think I am over the Realmuto hope for now.

I wouldn't give up hope. It will depend on how the Marlins value these prospects, not how arbitrary 3rd party prospect rankers value them. Plus, we really have no idea how much value the Braves, or the Brewers, place on Realmuto. The Brewers definitely have the ammunition to get a deal done if they want to, and they determine that Realmuto is worth the cost. One thing the Brewers offer that the Braves do not is a set of upper-end prospects that are closer to Major League ready.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 12:55 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
OldHeidelberg said:

I wouldn't give up hope. It will depend on how the Marlins value these prospects, not how arbitrary 3rd party prospect rankers value them. Plus, we really have no idea how much value the Braves, or the Brewers, place on Realmuto. The Brewers definitely have the ammunition to get a deal done if they want to, and they determine that Realmuto is worth the cost. One thing the Brewers offer that the Braves do not is a set of upper-end prospects that are closer to Major League ready.

I've also accepted this as unlikely to happen. Just adding that along with upper tier prospects close to MLB we also have some actual MLB depth pieces if they had an interest in being "not embarrassingly bad" next year. So toss in a Davies type who can eat innings for them along with the real prospect package and maybe it helps. Of course I have no idea if they care at all about all the bad publicity of the last year or if they're fine just straight up tanking and being made fun of for another year.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on November 08, 2018, 1:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 1:01 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I've also accepted this as unlikely to happen. Just adding that along with upper tie prospects close to MLB we also have some actual MLB depth pieces if they had an interest in being "not embarrassingly bad" next year. So toss in a Davies type who can eat innings for them along with the real prospect package and maybe it helps. Of course I have no idea if they care at all about all the bad publicity of the last year or if they're fine just straight up tanking and being made fun of for another year.

I honestly think it would be wise for the Marlins to deal with us for MLB pieces, or another team that has pieces available. I don't believe in this theory that any good player you have while rebuilding should automatically be traded, and try to time it so 12 prospects all hit the majors at once and you go from bad to good overnight. It just doesn't work that way. You have to incrementally increase your talent level. At the lowest point of our rebuild, we traded for Shaw and signed Thames. At the lowest point of the Astros rebuild, they signed Altuve to a big extension. Rizzo was in Chicago for 4 years before the team was any good. Acquiring controllable young talent doesn't exclusively mean prospects. You can look for solid guys like Shaw in trades, that still have a lot of team control.

Specific to the Marlins, they seem to lack pitching. Targeting someone like Anderson or Davies from us would be incredibly smart. Even if it isn't in a Realmuto deal, adding a controllable young starter would be a prudent move. It appears obvious that some of our current core SP will be pushed out of our rotation by some means to clear space for a couple of the big 3 young SP and Nelson(knock on wood 1,000 times).

Posted: November 08, 2018, 1:05 PM Post
Davies and Anderson would also fit their ballpark very well.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 1:10 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Davies and Anderson would also fit their ballpark very well.

Honestly Davies feels like a glove like fit for them. Young, team control, limited upside but high floor, and there's probably some level of chance he could be extended for an extra year or two despite being a Boras client. And as you noted, flyball pitcher in a tough HR park. Anderson is similar, but more expensive and older. So a bit more risk with him.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 1:48 PM Post
JTR is going to be traded for an elite package of prospects. I am not saying the Brewers should or even could out bid that, but that is what he will go for.

Our bargain bin of Anderson, Jesus, Dubon, Nottingham, Broxton, etc etc isn’t getting a 4.8 WAR catcher.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 2:00 PM Post
Nobody has really said that. What we just talked about was putting one of those guys in addition to good prospects such as Peralta, Woodruff, Ray, etc or whoever they come up with as legit prospects they like. tossing on a MLB innings eater might be preferable to some low level flyerss like other teams will tack onto their package. For example, look at the Sale deal a few pages back. It was two top prospects, and two flyers who might never make the bigs. We're saying the Marlins might be better off taking Davies rather than those flyer types. Help them be a bit more respectable, if they do well,, trade them later too.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 2:20 PM Post
Right, I don't think anybody is trying to say Davies should headline a package for Realmuto. But would Davies have more value than Ponce as a 3rd or 4th piece? Without question. Davies probably could be a legit 2nd/3rd piece depending on the 1st piece. Look no further than us trading Thornburg for Shaw + Dubon + Pennington. Rebuilding, but took back a 25 year old at a position of need with upside. Davies also happens to be 25...

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:01 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
OldHeidelberg said:

I would agree. They also have some players who could fill holes for the Marlins as well.

The highest I'd so would be Anderson, Aguilar, Nottingham, and Dubon for Realmuto.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:02 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
OldHeidelberg said:

I would agree. They also have some players who could fill holes for the Marlins as well.

The highest I'd so would be Anderson, Aguilar, Nottingham, and Dubon for Realmuto.

I wouldn't be able to accept that offer fast enough! I don't think that would do it, another team would beat that offer for certain.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:03 PM Post
https://twitter.com/brewcrewball/status ... 35616?s=21

Fangraphs says Hiura, Lutz, Ray FWIW

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:05 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Right, I don't think anybody is trying to say Davies should headline a package for Realmuto. But would Davies have more value than Ponce as a 3rd or 4th piece? Without question. Davies probably could be a legit 2nd/3rd piece depending on the 1st piece. Look no further than us trading Thornburg for Shaw + Dubon + Pennington. Rebuilding, but took back a 25 year old at a position of need with upside. Davies also happens to be 25...

No one want to pay for Davies when they have no intention of contending despite his value being higher than say a Dubon or a Nottingham.

I’m actually a big Davies fan so I wouldn’t trade him at such a low point anyhow.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:15 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
https://twitter.com/brewcrewball/status/1060637175165935616?s=21

Not that they will all pan out, but I'd be surprised if the Marlins wanted four of our top OF prospects in back-to-back trades. I would think they would want a pitcher thrown in there. Never thought this would be a potential thing, but the Brewers would be really thin at the OF position in the minors.

Overall, that seems like a nice haul for the Marlins. I would try to swap Lutz out for a pitching prospect.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
Boomer5 said:

I think this is similar to a Hiura, Peralta/Burnes, another piece or two offer - as I feel Burnes or Peralta offer more than Lutz does at this time.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:41 PM Post
Boomer5 said:

Hiura isn't going anywhere, I also would think the Marlins would be more interested in pitching than 2 OF and a 2b.

Regardless, this package is a touch steep. Switch Hiura with Peralta/Woodruff and it makes a bit more sense.

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:46 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
KeithStone53151 said:

No one want to pay for Davies when they have no intention of contending despite his value being higher than say a Dubon or a Nottingham.

I’m actually a big Davies fan so I wouldn’t trade him at such a low point anyhow.

Again, you do need players on the 25 man roster. You aren't going to go from 60 wins to 90 wins in one season. You can't try to time 12 prospect callups all at once and go from trash to contender overnight, it doesn't work that way. Incremental build up. And Davies is young with team control, and can help stabilize their rotation a bit for a few years. Again, targeting Davies is literally no different than us targeting Shaw during a rebuild. I pretty clearly outlined why your comment didn't make sense before you even typed it out...

Posted: November 08, 2018, 3:48 PM Post
yeah, makes more sense for the Brewers lol

Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 48  Next  [ 951 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply