LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47  Next  [ 933 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

J.T. Realmuto

Offline  Re: J.T. Realmuto
Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:13 PM Post
Chirinos signing in Houston. Would seem to take yet another team out of the catcher market.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:17 PM Post
It's going to be fun when Realmuto isn't traded and opens the year with a 720ish OPS over the first few months...and offers significantly decrease at the deadline. Foolish asking prices like the one reportedly on Realmuto generally bother me, so I'll enjoy it coming back to bite the Marlins.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 3:30 PM Post
wallus said:
Brew4U said:
[

All depends on what the other offers are. In two years he is gone. They’d be wise to get what they can for him now.

I would be shocked if he isn't on the Astros by spring training. They have a strong system and an obvious need.

Looks like the Astros are signing Robinson Chirinos https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 7955480576

Chirinos is actually a solid backstop, and should be an upgrade to McCann. I imagine they still have interest in Realmuto, though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2018, 7:37 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Chirinos is actually a solid backstop, and should be an upgrade to McCann. I imagine they still have interest in Realmuto, though.

Oh, I'm sure that they had interest - very few teams with ambition wouldn't - but I'm equally sure that they kicked the tires, talked to the salesman, heard the price and laughed heartily as they walked across the street from the BMW dealer to the Honda dealer and picked up something decent at a reasonable price. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: J.T. Realmuto
Posted: December 05, 2018, 2:56 PM Post
The Mets fans are unbelievably dumb. Offering a bunch of failed, formerly mid level prospects for the guy every GM is calling on. Really? If that’s true we could just do woodruff straight up.

Valar Morghulis

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:08 PM Post
phnxcrew said:
The Mets fans are unbelievably dumb. Offering a bunch of failed, formerly mid level prospects for the guy every GM is calling on. Really? If that’s true we could just do woodruff straight up.

Some of the "insider" tweets are making it sound like Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario are coveted by the Marlins and the Mets aren't inclined to give them up. Really? Two extremely average outfielders and a good defense no stick (albeit young) middle infielder? Does that mean all we need to do to get Realmuto is offer up Arcia? Makes me wish we would have hung onto Brett Phillips.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:32 PM Post
Conforto and Nimmo are highly valuable pieces. I understand both why the Marlins covet them and why the Mets would say no

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:42 PM Post
amt2138 said:
Conforto and Nimmo are highly valuable pieces. I understand both why the Marlins covet them and why the Mets would say no

I don't know. They are cheap I guess. Otherwise I don't see how they are so valuable. Nimmo is a ok defense high strikeout bat, while Conforto had a poor year. They are young, but I don't see how either would be off the table for a guy who is arguably the best catcher in the game. Both seem pretty average to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:46 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
while Conforto had a poor year.

His 124 OPS+ would've been 3rd on the Brewers.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:50 PM Post
How different in value are Santana/Conforto or Arcia/Rosario?

Conforto has had more consistent time the last 2 years, but Santana’s full season in 2017 was comparable to Confortos production.

Arcia and Rosario are both All D light bat SS. Almost identical hitting numbers with Rosario having 1 more year of control.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:51 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
phnxcrew said:

Some of the "insider" tweets are making it sound like Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario are coveted by the Marlins and the Mets aren't inclined to give them up. Really? Two extremely average outfielders and a good defense no stick (albeit young) middle infielder? Does that mean all we need to do to get Realmuto is offer up Arcia? Makes me wish we would have hung onto Brett Phillips.

In fairness, Nimmo and Conforto are both pretty good hitters and young with upside. Nimmo in particular had a very good season...over 400 OBP. That said, both are corner outfielders and Nimmo is a poor defender even in the corner. I fail to see how any of those hitters is an elite position player that they are rumored to be targeting. I also fail to see how either of them is more valuable than Peralta or Woodruff.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:54 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
amt2138 said:

I don't know. They are cheap I guess. Otherwise I don't see how they are so valuable. Nimmo is a ok defense high strikeout bat, while Conforto had a poor year. They are young, but I don't see how either would be off the table for a guy who is arguably the best catcher in the game. Both seem pretty average to me.

On a minimum contract, Nimmo giving you 4.5 WAR with an OBP over .400 and 50+ extra base hits is the part you are missing when describing his offense. OK defense is dead on though

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 7:39 AM Post
Andy Martino of SNY.tv reports that the Mets' trade talks involving J.T. Realmuto, Noah Syndergaard and Corey Kluber "have lost a degree of momentum."

Martino says that the Mets are "highly motivated" to acquire J.T. Realmuto, but the Marlins' big asking price -- which may include Amed Rosario and Brandon Nimmo -- has the Mets feeling "less optimistic" something will get done. He adds that the Mets feel they need to get a "slam-dunk return" in order to consider trading Syndergaard and they "have been unable to get close to a match with Cleveland on Kluber." This could all just be posturing, of course, and Martino notes that it's possible the lost momentum is "temporary." We will surely hear plenty of rumors involving the Mets at this week's Winter Meetings.

Source: SNY.tvDec 9 - 2:33 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Padres have "genuine interest" in acquiring J.T. Realmuto from the Marlins.

The Padres are in the market for an upgrade behind the plate and Realmuto definitely qualifies there. He'd add another big bat to the middle of the lineup as well as terrific defense behind the dish. The Mets are the team that has been mentioned most often as the team looking to snag the All-Star catcher from the Marlins, but perhaps they'd prefer to deal him out of the division instead, which could give the Padres a leg up.

Source: Jon Morosi on TwitterDec 9 - 10:24 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:16 AM Post
Well it seems the Marlins are open and possibly wanting MLB ready players. We discussed this in this thread on whether they'd value guys like Anderson, Davies, Thames, Santana, etc or if they'd prefer to just be massively awful. It seems they would, so it could reduce the actual prospects we give up. To me, Anderson and/or Davies would make a lot sense for them

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:33 AM Post
turborickey said:

Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Padres have "genuine interest" in acquiring J.T. Realmuto from the Marlins.

The Padres are in the market for an upgrade behind the plate and Realmuto definitely qualifies there. He'd add another big bat to the middle of the lineup as well as terrific defense behind the dish. The Mets are the team that has been mentioned most often as the team looking to snag the All-Star catcher from the Marlins, but perhaps they'd prefer to deal him out of the division instead, which could give the Padres a leg up.

Source: Jon Morosi on TwitterDec 9 - 10:24 PM

The Padres' interest in Realmuto tells me everything I need to know about Francisco Mejia - that he is quite possibly one of the most overhyped prospects in recent memory. If you have arguably the #1 catching prospect in the majors, who is supposedly ML ready, in my mind you don't trade for another front-line catcher. I imagine that if the Padres traded for Realmuto, Mejia would be one of the pieces going back.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 8:57 AM Post
It's possible they could be considering moving Mejia off catcher. He was always a bat first guy, maybe his defense simply isn't good enough in their eyes. Might be looking at 3b or corner OF if that's the case...probably 3b.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:01 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
It's possible they could be considering moving Mejia off catcher. He was always a bat first guy, maybe his defense simply isn't good enough in their eyes. Might be looking at 3b or corner OF if that's the case...probably 3b.

His bat makes him an elite catching prospect. But his lack of power very much diminishes his value as a 3B or corner OF. I always thought that, judging by scouting reports, he was solid at catcher defensively. It appears that the Indians sold him at the right time.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: J.T. Realmuto
Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
amt2138 said:

Nimmo still managed to put up 4.5 WAR with ok defense & a high strikeout rate because he also had the 4th highest OBP in the league (.404) & 6th highest wRC+ (149).

Conforto posted a 120 wRC+ & 3 WAR last year, hard to characterize that as poor unless maybe you're comparing it to to the 147 wRC+ & 4.4 WAR he put together in fewer games the season before.

If I were the Marlins I'd prefer prospects with more team control, but the Mets don't really have anyone that fits the bill & would compare to other potential Realmuto headliners.

Since their isn't a prospect match I think the Mets end up getting their catcher through FA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:12 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:

His bat makes him an elite catching prospect. But his lack of power very much diminishes his value as a 3B or corner OF. I always thought that, judging by scouting reports, he was solid at catcher defensively. It appears that the Indians sold him at the right time.

It does I agree. There's still value at 3b if he can hit for a very high average...but yes I tend to agree it's a bit surprising that the Padres are looking at a catcher. They could also be packaging Mejia for a trade for Thor. Hard to know how many pieces are moving behind the scenes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:19 AM Post
Not sure of a better spot to put this article. Seems relevant here a bit. I guess it somewhat supports my general more willingness than most to give up prospects. To me, I'm not a hoarder unless their starting pitching and at the MLB ready point like Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta types. Any prospects multiple years/levels away can have so many things go wrong for them before even getting to that point.

I think I even had a line in the last few weeks something like "if you go back and look at top prospects lists the last 15 years or so the majority of them will have never done anything at the MLB level"

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/12/1 ... p-50-busts

Last edited by tmwiese55 on December 10, 2018, 9:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47  Next  [ 933 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply