LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Alex Cobb

Offline  Re: Alex Cobb

Posted: January 05, 2018, 11:25 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/01/05/report-cubs-original-offer-to-alex-cobb-was-three-years-and-42-million/

According to this, the Cubs offer for Cobb was 3 years $42 million. If this is what it would take now, while not loving it, I think I would be comfortable with the Brewers offering this. I wouldn't be happy or sad either way if he accepted or rejected it.

If this is accurate, I could see getting involved at that price/years arena. That's roughly a similar offer to what they made to Chatwood though, and I think it's safe to say from a production/talent standpoint that Cobb > Chatwood. I have to believe Cobb is getting 4 year offers of at least $12-15 million per at his age/talent level though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 1:02 PM Post
i'd offer 3/49.9

No pick

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2018, 10:37 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
i'd offer 3/49.9

No pick

I'd do that an offer a vesting option based on inngs pitched. Something like 18 Million if he meets 400 inngs. If not reached becomes team option with buyout.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 8:06 AM Post
Heyman is saying Cobb wants 4 years and a guaranteed $70 million. That's still an overpay but not far off from what it will take. I think Brewers should jump on 4 years $60 million myself. They could pay $14 million per year for 4 seasons with an option for a 5th or a $4 million buyout without stretching payroll so much that they couldn't still add a Walker or even Cain if they wanted to be bold and deal for another starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 9:23 AM Post
Cobb is halfway to getting signed now that he's down from 5 years to 4. Now he just has to drop that annual value down from 17.5 million to 14.5 million and teams will be ready to move.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 9:53 AM Post
2018 $16.0 million
2019 $14.5 million
2020 $13.0 million
2021 $13.0 million with $2.5 million team buyout option

4 year $56.5 million or 3 year $46.0 million

Anymore and I think I would pass.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Alex Cobb

Posted: January 06, 2018, 11:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Signing Alex Cobb would give the Brewers a 4th starting pitcher that finished in the top 20 in ground ball percentage among qualified starting pitchers (162+ IP) last season.

#9 Jimmy Nelson (50.3 GB%)
#10 Zach Davies (50.2 GB%)
#14 Jhoulys Chacin (49.1 GB%)
#19 Alex Cobb (47.8 GB%)

In Cobb’s 2014 season he tied with Felix Hernandez for the third highest ground ball rate among qualified starting pitchers at 56.2%.

With added emphasis on launch angle and hitters focused on elevating the ball, as well as speculation of the ball composition effecting it’s travel distance, it seems possible the Brewers are focused on finding ground ball inducing starting pitchers.

We also know they were in mid-season trade discussions surrounding Sonny Gray, a pitcher that has finished well north of a 50% ground ball rate every year of his major league career, and finished 5th overall last season with a 52.8 GB%.

BTW, last year’s leader in GB% among qualified starting pitchers was Marcus Stroman (62.1 GB%) whom I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Brewers target via trade at some point if the stars align.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 11:29 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:
Signing Alex Cobb would give the Brewers a 4th starting pitcher that finished in the top 20 in ground ball percentage among qualified starting pitchers (162+ IP) last season.

#19 Alex Cobb (47.8 GB%)

In Cobb’s 2014 season he tied with Felix Hernandez for the third highest ground ball rate among qualified starting pitchers at 56.2%.

With added emphasis on launch angle and hitters focused on elevating the ball, as well as speculation of the ball composition effecting it’s travel distance, it seems possible the Brewers are focused on finding ground ball inducing starting pitchers.

We also know they were in mid-season trade discussions surrounding Sonny Gray, a pitcher that has finished well north of a 50% ground ball rate every year of his major league career, and finished 5th overall last season with a 52.8 GB%.

BTW, last year’s leader in GB% among qualified starting pitchers was Marcus Stroman (62.1 GB%) whom I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Brewers target via trade at some point if the stars align.

Good catch, Eye Black. I hadn't noticed this.

"The key is identifying the moment. The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't." -- Billy Beane

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 11:35 AM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Eye Black at Night said:

#19 Alex Cobb (47.8 GB%)

Good catch, Eye Black. I hadn't noticed this.

Add to your point, Jeffress and Logan are heavy groundball pitchers as well on the relief side that were either brought in or extended. I still don't like the move for Cobb unless it gets close to the $40-50 million range, but there's definitely a ton of value in finding pitchers that keep hitters from elevating the ball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 12:01 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
2018 $16.0 million
2019 $14.5 million
2020 $13.0 million
2021 $13.0 million with $2.5 million team buyout option

4 year $56.5 million or 3 year $46.0 million

Anymore and I think I would pass.

I would love to add Cobb at that price.

Anderson
Cobb
Davies
Chacin
Woodruff

Then add someone like Oh or Hernandez as another set up.

Knebel
Hader
Oh/Hernandez
Logan
Barnes
Jeffress
Gallardo

I would love this staff!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2018, 4:19 PM Post
Subtract Gallardo or Jeffers and add Taylor Williams.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply