LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  [ 122 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Lorenzo Cain

Online  Re: Lorenzo Cain
Posted: January 13, 2018, 9:46 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
reillymcshane said:
Regarding Brinson - I would keep him over Phillips. Yes, Brinson has had injury issues. But the guy has the tools and talent to be an all star level player in the majors. None of our bats has that capability in the upper minors of our system.

Milwaukee has a lot of solid players right now - but we need to add exceptional players to take us to the next level. Brinson has that potential.

I'm not saying that Phillips won't be a good player - but his hit tool is a concern. He looked good in his short time he was in Milwaukee, but he's not going to sustain a .400+ BABIP going forward like he did last year.

Brinson is no perfect player - and I think he will have his own growing pains in the majors - but his reward can be massive if things come together.

Personally, I'd love to see Phillips and Brinson in our outfield next year. Lo Cain is a good player - but I'd rather roll the dice with our young guys.

Nobody questions the tools and talent for Brinson. But tools and talent don't always equal production (see Jason Heyward). He seemed overmatched in his first taste against major league pitching and this is a guy who fanned 191 times in low A ball. Since 2015, he's spent most of his time in very hitter friendly environments. To his credit, he's produced like he should there and the strikeout rate has come down considerably but there has to be some concerns.

So he looked overmatched in his first 20 mlb games? That doesn't concern me at all. He also looked significantly better in his second stint than the first one if you want to put value on a handful of games. Injury issues concern me more than a 20 game stint, but neither are overly concerning. I'm expecting him to start a bit slow and ramp up to being very productive by mid season.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Lorenzo Cain
Posted: January 13, 2018, 12:21 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
reillymcshane said:
Regarding Brinson - I would keep him over Phillips. Yes, Brinson has had injury issues. But the guy has the tools and talent to be an all star level player in the majors. None of our bats has that capability in the upper minors of our system.

Milwaukee has a lot of solid players right now - but we need to add exceptional players to take us to the next level. Brinson has that potential.

I'm not saying that Phillips won't be a good player - but his hit tool is a concern. He looked good in his short time he was in Milwaukee, but he's not going to sustain a .400+ BABIP going forward like he did last year.

Brinson is no perfect player - and I think he will have his own growing pains in the majors - but his reward can be massive if things come together.

Personally, I'd love to see Phillips and Brinson in our outfield next year. Lo Cain is a good player - but I'd rather roll the dice with our young guys.

Nobody questions the tools and talent for Brinson. But tools and talent don't always equal production (see Jason Heyward). He seemed overmatched in his first taste against major league pitching and this is a guy who fanned 191 times in low A ball. Since 2015, he's spent most of his time in very hitter friendly environments. To his credit, he's produced like he should there and the strikeout rate has come down considerably but there has to be some concerns.

55 plate appearances. He had a BABIP of .107. This for a guy who had the 17th highest average exit velocity in MLB and who is a very good runner. Or in other words, it's likely a matter of a small sample size and bad luck. There are adjustments to make, something his strikeout rate in the minors has shown that he can, but even if he does exactly the same thing he has done in his 55 PAs so far over his next 600, the results will be significantly better.

Injuries are the only concern for me, but nowhere near enough to make me want to trade him. It's a player with a very high upside, this close to the majors who will be under team control for the years we expect to be competitive. You roll with that and give him every chance to make it in Milwaukee. He's one of the last outfielders in the entire system we should be looking to trade at this point IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  [ 122 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply