LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Danny Salazar

Offline  Re: Danny Salazar

Posted: January 09, 2018, 5:46 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Boomer5 said:
You're right. Cleveland could definitely use Santana as their other OFers are either injury prone or meh. Santana is an upgrade.

The problem is their prospects are either too good at the top end or just so so after that. I'm not sure how to put a deal together that makes sense for either side.

This may be why a deal doesn't come together...or why a deal may just be a straight up Santana for Salazar, which I would not like.

Agreed. This is either a trade where we take a little less than Santana is worth or it tuns into a blockbuster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 6:10 PM Post
Salazar and Kipnis for Santana; the Brewers sign Jay Bruce to platoon with Brinson and Phillips.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 7:30 PM Post
bill hAll Star said:
Right-handed bats are a dime a dozen. If they’d deal for Aguilar it would be for peanuts. If not, they could cycle in a myriad of AAAA guys that one of which would eventually OPS .800+ against lefties.

Aguilar isn't a world beater, but I thought my Rogers comp was fairly reasonable. Aguilar is far more established as a solid hitter than Rogers was.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 7:43 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
Devinep said:
There was a good point about a roster logjam in the Walker thread and there may be some thought 25/40 man roster decisions soon, so maybe Cleveland would Tske Aguilar back as a 1B platoon with Alonzo.

Brewers get: Salazar Mejia

Indians get: Santana, Nottingham (young C to “replace” Mejia), Aguilar,+throw in

Aguilar is barely a throw in and with apologies to the Nottingham fans here, his is just a guy who is a barely adequate catcher who hit 209 at AA.

Mejia would require a top 50 guy added to a Santana package.

I’d put Santana as more valuable than Salazar. That means the Brewers would be giving up the extra value there, Nottingham, Aguilar, plus another player to equate Mejia. That last piece may have to be good, but it’s not that far off

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 8:12 PM Post
Mejia doesn't work in this trade at all. He's in the same class as Brinson so the only way the values match up would be to also include Brinson...but it doesn't make much sense for the Indians to add both Santana and Brinson.

I could see Merryweather being included in a trade. If Salazar is traded the rotation is likely Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Tomlin, Clevinger and I'd guess that Ryan Merritt is the 6th/insurance starter. Merritt made four starts for them last year so he's probably the next guy in line. Merryweather did not fare well at AAA last year (6.58 ERA, 1.67 WHIP) and isn't listed in the Indian's top 10 prospects by Baseball America. Really cannot see him as being an untouchable in trade talks.

The more I looked at the Indian's outfield situation, the more I think that it doesn't make sense for them to include Greg Allen as a third piece in a deal. Take him out an include RHP-Aaron Civale instead. So I'd expect it to be something along the lines of Santana and Bickford OR Medeiros for Salazar and Chang and Civale.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 8:21 PM Post
Why wouldn't Cleveland just sign Cain? His bat is not as good as santana but he plays CF with pretty good D. They would not lose any prospects as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 8:37 PM Post
Because the Indians' 2017 payroll was at a record high 124 million and they are projected to be at 133 million to start 2018. They are not in a big TV market (17th largest) and adding Cain would likely push their payroll to well over 150 million. They might not be able to go that high even with the recent success.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Danny Salazar

Posted: January 09, 2018, 9:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
Mejia doesn't work in this trade at all. He's in the same class as Brinson so the only way the values match up would be to also include Brinson...but it doesn't make much sense for the Indians to add both Santana and Brinson.

This is spot on. JosephC did a great job earlier in the thread dissecting the value involved in this possible trade involving Santana and Salazar. I agree Santana is more valuable than Salazar due to the extra year of control and having lower injury risk than Salazar, but it’s not enough to justify the Indians including a top 25 MLB prospect for 2-3 additional pieces that have very little trade value. Matching up these teams on a realistic trade that includes the Brewers acquiring both Salazar and Mejia is nearly impossible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 9:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
Cleveland gets:
OF - Domingo Santana (72 million surplus value...2.4 WAR player each of next four seasons)
role-player pitching prospect / maybe either Medeiros or Bickford (5.72 million surplus value)
Total = 77.72 million

Milwaukee gets:
RHP - Danny Salazar (45 million surplus value...2.3 WAR player each of next three seasons)
SS - Yu-Cheng Chang (top 10 organizational prospect...11.45 million surplus value)
OF - Greg Allen (top 10 organizational prospect...11.45 million surplus value)
Total = 67.9 million

I would prefer to swap out one of those additional pieces with RHP Shane Bieber in that scenario. Bieber appears to have impeccable command with some added velocity and improving secondary pitches. Seems like a guy that could develop into a solid mid-rotation starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 09, 2018, 10:13 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:
JosephC said:

This is spot on. JosephC did a great job earlier in the thread dissecting the value involved in this possible trade involving Santana and Salazar. I agree Santana is more valuable than Salazar due to the extra year of control and having lower injury risk than Salazar, but it’s not enough to justify the Indians including a top 25 MLB prospect for 2-3 additional pieces that have very little trade value. Matching up these teams on a realistic trade that includes the Brewers acquiring both Salazar and Mejia is nearly impossible.

I'm not advocating for this, but I think Santana + Ortiz for Salazar + Mejia would at least be close. Brewers might need to add more, but hopefully not a ton.

"The key is identifying the moment. The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't." -- Billy Beane

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2018, 8:58 AM Post
Please, stop the Mejia inclusion for trades. He is more valuable than Brinson. Can you try this and realistically see a GM parting with their #1 prospect ranked as highly as Brinson/Mejia are? Santans plus Aguilar for Salazar and Brinson. I mean if you're the other side and Stearns made this trade for Santan and Aguilar? Are you glad he used the team's #1 prospect for this? Mejia was in the midsts of his epic hitting streak when the Lucroy trade didnt happen. At that point Mejia's value jumped and with being a hitting Catcher he's an off limits prospect...aside the that Sale/Kershaw type of Ace acquisition.

I'd love to see Santana move to #3 in batting order and bat every bit like last year and be graced as a 4War value player vs the under 2 hes saddled at for now. Hes going to be just 25, his prime years ahead of him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2018, 9:45 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Please, stop the Mejia inclusion for trades. He is more valuable than Brinson.

Thanks, Lucroy...

Last edited by Brew4U on January 10, 2018, 9:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2018, 9:45 AM Post
Cleveland will not include Mejia in a Santana trade. He is either firmly in their future OR will be used in a much bigger move down the road (Jose Quintana type player or better).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 10, 2018, 10:04 AM Post
Agree. It would truly take a lot to pry Mejia.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply