LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Collin McHugh

Author Message
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#41

Posted: March 27, 2018, 6:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5206
I wouldn't give up more than fodder for McHugh considering his salary. A soft tosser who has difficulty going deep into games. I wouldn't even consider Santana or Phillips. I have to think the Brewers have guys in house who could perform just as well if given the opportunity for a much lower cost


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#42

Posted: March 27, 2018, 9:25 PM Post
Posts: 1662
I want this rotation upgraded, but does this dude really do it? He seems like another run of the mill "meh" type of guy. I'd rather we pay a premium for Archer/DeGrom controllable types and eat the farm hit rather than scab things together with guys like McHugh.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#43

Posted: March 27, 2018, 10:01 PM Post
Posts: 25
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
superfly said:
I want this rotation upgraded, but does this dude really do it? He seems like another run of the mill "meh" type of guy. I'd rather we pay a premium for Archer/DeGrom controllable types and eat the farm hit rather than scab things together with guys like McHugh.



Everyone seems so down on McHugh. Sure, he's not the ace that everyone really wants but lets be realistic at this point...we're not getting Archer and we probably shouldn't want him. If we make another big trade for a guy like Archer our Farm system would be completely depleated. McHugh would raise the floor on our rotation and he certainly has a higher ceiling than Chacin/Suter/Woodruff. He doesn't walk a lot of batters, he throws strikes, He has a good shot at having a better year than Davies even. If Houston calls and asks for Aguilar and a Top 15-20 prospect, I make that deal in a second if I'm Stearns.

With the offense we have along with the continued success of our bullpen, a rotation of...

Nelson
Anderson
McHugh
Davies
Chacin/Woodruff/Suter

...certainly is playoff-caliber and can make a run at the pennant! You don't NEED an ace to get to the WS. You need about a 3.5-3.8 rotation ERA and that rotation certainly has the ability to hit that mark.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#44

Posted: June 03, 2018, 10:20 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2374
McHugh is having an excellent season out of the bullpen, and he has always been solid as a starter including last year. Meanwhile, the Astros have the best rotation 1-5 in baseball, and their weakest position is 1B/DH. Gonzalez and Gurriel have been awful.

Would you trade 1B/DH Eric Thames for two years of SP Collin McHugh?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#45

Posted: June 03, 2018, 10:48 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4955
Location: Phoenix, AZ
SRB said:
McHugh is having an excellent season out of the bullpen, and he has always been solid as a starter including last year. Meanwhile, the Astros have the best rotation 1-5 in baseball, and their weakest position is 1B/DH. Gonzalez and Gurriel have been awful.

Would you trade 1B/DH Eric Thames for two years of SP Collin McHugh?


Sure but I don't think the Astros would do that trade.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#46

Posted: June 03, 2018, 11:11 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8931
You’d probably have to add to Thames to get it done but I’d be all for it. Even though it does leave us a bit short on left handed power bats.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#47

Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:27 AM Post
Posts: 558
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#48

Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:51 AM Post
Posts: 7554
Location: Kenosha, WI
Bnowell4evr said:
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.


Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#49

Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:54 AM Post
Posts: 12574
Who is worth more in a trade, Thames or Aguilar?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#50

Posted: June 04, 2018, 8:26 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8931
adambr2 said:
Who is worth more in a trade, Thames or Aguilar?

You’d think Aguilar based on him being so cheap, controlled for like 5-6 years and only being 27.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#51

Posted: June 04, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4685
CanOfCorn said:
superfly said:
I want this rotation upgraded, but does this dude really do it? He seems like another run of the mill "meh" type of guy. I'd rather we pay a premium for Archer/DeGrom controllable types and eat the farm hit rather than scab things together with guys like McHugh.



Everyone seems so down on McHugh. Sure, he's not the ace that everyone really wants but lets be realistic at this point...we're not getting Archer and we probably shouldn't want him. If we make another big trade for a guy like Archer our Farm system would be completely depleated. McHugh would raise the floor on our rotation and he certainly has a higher ceiling than Chacin/Suter/Woodruff. He doesn't walk a lot of batters, he throws strikes, He has a good shot at having a better year than Davies even. If Houston calls and asks for Aguilar and a Top 15-20 prospect, I make that deal in a second if I'm Stearns.

With the offense we have along with the continued success of our bullpen, a rotation of...

Nelson
Anderson
McHugh
Davies
Chacin/Woodruff/Suter

...certainly is playoff-caliber and can make a run at the pennant! You don't NEED an ace to get to the WS. You need about a 3.5-3.8 rotation ERA and that rotation certainly has the ability to hit that mark.



I want this to be true, but this includes an enormous assumption. Jimmy Nelson had his pitching shoulder repaired in multiple spots, and we think he'll just show up and roll like he was never gone?

I sure hope so, but I think he's just as likely to miss this entire season as he is to come back and be what he was last year - the safe bet is somewhere in between.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#52

Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:19 PM Post
Posts: 536
MrTPlush said:
Bnowell4evr said:
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.


Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.


I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#53

Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:38 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2374
I'm baffled by the persistent undervaluing of Thames on here. Since returning from Korea he basically has a full season at the point (160 G) and he's hit .248/.358/.531 with 38 HR. And he's signed to a team-friendly contract for 2-3 more years (cheaper than McHugh).

Even with mediocre defense and even if you platoon him, that's an extremely valuable player. Big upgrade for Houston at 1B/DH


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#54

Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:05 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2066
wildcat2237 said:
MrTPlush said:
Bnowell4evr said:
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.


Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.


I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.


McHugh is making $5 million this year in his 2nd year of arbitration, and will be making even more in this 3rd arbitration go-round in 2019. Thames is making $5 million this year, $6 million in 2019, and has a $7.5 million option for 2020 with a $1 million buyout. Money looks pretty similar to me.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#55

Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:40 PM Post
Posts: 967
Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#56

Posted: June 05, 2018, 12:01 AM Post
Posts: 1198
wallus said:
Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.


Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#57

Posted: June 05, 2018, 5:48 AM Post
Posts: 12574
rickh150 said:
wallus said:
Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.


Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.


Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh
#58

Posted: June 05, 2018, 9:47 AM Post
Posts: 1198
adambr2 said:
rickh150 said:
wallus said:
Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.


Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.


Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.


Work him in? Sure. Playing him equal or MORE than Aguilar? That's another thing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#59

Posted: June 05, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8931
Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh
#60

Posted: June 05, 2018, 11:31 AM Post
Posts: 12574
Brew4U said:
Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.


I think the difference right now is that Aguilar is perceived much differently than he was before the season. Many considered him totally expendable. Even the ones that preferred to keep him were resigned to the idea that it would be as a bench bat.

Now only is he not considered expendable but many want to see him in the lineup every day. Given his and Thames relative lack of versatility, there may not be an easy answer.

I'm not saying it won't work itself out too, just that I have no idea how at this point.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BallandGlove, MrAllen, paul253, wildcat2237 and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test