LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Collin McHugh

Offline  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: March 27, 2018, 6:46 PM Post
I wouldn't give up more than fodder for McHugh considering his salary. A soft tosser who has difficulty going deep into games. I wouldn't even consider Santana or Phillips. I have to think the Brewers have guys in house who could perform just as well if given the opportunity for a much lower cost

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2018, 9:25 PM Post
I want this rotation upgraded, but does this dude really do it? He seems like another run of the mill "meh" type of guy. I'd rather we pay a premium for Archer/DeGrom controllable types and eat the farm hit rather than scab things together with guys like McHugh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2018, 10:01 PM Post
superfly said:
I want this rotation upgraded, but does this dude really do it? He seems like another run of the mill "meh" type of guy. I'd rather we pay a premium for Archer/DeGrom controllable types and eat the farm hit rather than scab things together with guys like McHugh.

Everyone seems so down on McHugh. Sure, he's not the ace that everyone really wants but lets be realistic at this point...we're not getting Archer and we probably shouldn't want him. If we make another big trade for a guy like Archer our Farm system would be completely depleated. McHugh would raise the floor on our rotation and he certainly has a higher ceiling than Chacin/Suter/Woodruff. He doesn't walk a lot of batters, he throws strikes, He has a good shot at having a better year than Davies even. If Houston calls and asks for Aguilar and a Top 15-20 prospect, I make that deal in a second if I'm Stearns.

With the offense we have along with the continued success of our bullpen, a rotation of...

Nelson
Anderson
McHugh
Davies
Chacin/Woodruff/Suter

...certainly is playoff-caliber and can make a run at the pennant! You don't NEED an ace to get to the WS. You need about a 3.5-3.8 rotation ERA and that rotation certainly has the ability to hit that mark.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 10:20 AM Post
McHugh is having an excellent season out of the bullpen, and he has always been solid as a starter including last year. Meanwhile, the Astros have the best rotation 1-5 in baseball, and their weakest position is 1B/DH. Gonzalez and Gurriel have been awful.

Would you trade 1B/DH Eric Thames for two years of SP Collin McHugh?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 10:48 AM Post
SRB said:
McHugh is having an excellent season out of the bullpen, and he has always been solid as a starter including last year. Meanwhile, the Astros have the best rotation 1-5 in baseball, and their weakest position is 1B/DH. Gonzalez and Gurriel have been awful.

Would you trade 1B/DH Eric Thames for two years of SP Collin McHugh?

Sure but I don't think the Astros would do that trade.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: June 03, 2018, 11:11 AM Post
You’d probably have to add to Thames to get it done but I’d be all for it. Even though it does leave us a bit short on left handed power bats.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 5:27 AM Post
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:51 AM Post
Bnowell4evr said:
The Astros would have to add more to McHugh, not the other way around. The Astros tanked his value by moving him to the pen.

Starter, reliever, custodian....his value is higher than Eric Thames.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:54 AM Post
Who is worth more in a trade, Thames or Aguilar?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 8:26 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Who is worth more in a trade, Thames or Aguilar?

You’d think Aguilar based on him being so cheap, controlled for like 5-6 years and only being 27.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
CanOfCorn said:
superfly said:

Everyone seems so down on McHugh. Sure, he's not the ace that everyone really wants but lets be realistic at this point...we're not getting Archer and we probably shouldn't want him. If we make another big trade for a guy like Archer our Farm system would be completely depleated. McHugh would raise the floor on our rotation and he certainly has a higher ceiling than Chacin/Suter/Woodruff. He doesn't walk a lot of batters, he throws strikes, He has a good shot at having a better year than Davies even. If Houston calls and asks for Aguilar and a Top 15-20 prospect, I make that deal in a second if I'm Stearns.

With the offense we have along with the continued success of our bullpen, a rotation of...

Nelson
Anderson
McHugh
Davies
Chacin/Woodruff/Suter

...certainly is playoff-caliber and can make a run at the pennant! You don't NEED an ace to get to the WS. You need about a 3.5-3.8 rotation ERA and that rotation certainly has the ability to hit that mark.

I want this to be true, but this includes an enormous assumption. Jimmy Nelson had his pitching shoulder repaired in multiple spots, and we think he'll just show up and roll like he was never gone?

I sure hope so, but I think he's just as likely to miss this entire season as he is to come back and be what he was last year - the safe bet is somewhere in between.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:19 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Bnowell4evr said:

I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 1:38 PM Post
I'm baffled by the persistent undervaluing of Thames on here. Since returning from Korea he basically has a full season at the point (160 G) and he's hit .248/.358/.531 with 38 HR. And he's signed to a team-friendly contract for 2-3 more years (cheaper than McHugh).

Even with mediocre defense and even if you platoon him, that's an extremely valuable player. Big upgrade for Houston at 1B/DH

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:05 PM Post
wildcat2237 said:
MrTPlush said:
Bnowell4evr said:

I would put Thames and McHugh at about the same value before factoring in money.

When you consider that Thames is owed millions, McHugh becomes the more valuable piece.

McHugh is making $5 million this year in his 2nd year of arbitration, and will be making even more in this 3rd arbitration go-round in 2019. Thames is making $5 million this year, $6 million in 2019, and has a $7.5 million option for 2020 with a $1 million buyout. Money looks pretty similar to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 2:40 PM Post
Our offense will need Thames' bat once he comes back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2018, 12:01 AM Post
wallus said:

Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2018, 5:48 AM Post
rickh150 said:
wallus said:

Really? Gotta get Aguilar back to his role of best PH in baseball? Can we just say that the bench will be deeper or that Thames would solidify the roster. Aguilar has to keep playing.

Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2018, 9:47 AM Post
adambr2 said:
rickh150 said:
wallus said:

Thames had a .918 OPS vs. RHP in 2017 and was at 1.004 so far this year. Like it or not they are going to work him in against righties somehow.

Work him in? Sure. Playing him equal or MORE than Aguilar? That's another thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 05, 2018, 11:31 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Just like we hammered the glut of OF/1B thing to death before the season (a lot of people saw Aguilar being cut), Thames coming back will work itself out as well.

I think the difference right now is that Aguilar is perceived much differently than he was before the season. Many considered him totally expendable. Even the ones that preferred to keep him were resigned to the idea that it would be as a bench bat.

Now only is he not considered expendable but many want to see him in the lineup every day. Given his and Thames relative lack of versatility, there may not be an easy answer.

I'm not saying it won't work itself out too, just that I have no idea how at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply