LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Collin McHugh

Offline  Collin McHugh

Posted: February 08, 2018, 9:53 AM Post
McHugh, 30, posted strong results last year after a somewhat tepid 2016 effort, but only after missing a major chunk of the season due to injury. He ended up posting a 3.55 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 63 1/3 frames over a dozen starts.

Sounds like the Astro's might be interested in trading him per mlbtraderumors

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: February 08, 2018, 9:57 AM Post
Rotation depth is certainly nice, but the Brewers already have a ton of #3-4-type pitchers. I guess I'd consider it depending on the return, but I have a feeling the Astros are going to want more than what I would feel comfortable with.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: February 08, 2018, 10:04 AM Post
He's only under control for two more years and as Joey Meyer Bombs has already stated, probably is viewed as a #3/#4 by most of the league so the price tag wouldn't be ridiculous. Probably valued as a 2 WAR player and I'd guess the Astros would probably wouldn't realistically seek a top 100 prospect but would like to get two top ten organizational type prospects back. Maybe something like two players off the list of Mauricio Dubon, Trent Grisham, Freddy Peralta.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 10:05 AM Post
JosephC said:
He's only under control for two more years and as Joey Meyer Bombs has already stated, probably is viewed as a #3/#4 by most of the league so the price tag wouldn't be ridiculous. Probably valued as a 2 WAR player and I'd guess the Astros would probably wouldn't realistically seek a top 100 prospect but would like to get two top ten organizational type prospects back. Maybe something like two players off the list of Mauricio Dubon, Trent Grisham, Freddy Peralta.

For that price I'd be a VERY hard no!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 10:09 AM Post
I don't view McHugh as a #3/4 type. He's probably relatively on par with what we'll get out of Chacin, maybe slightly better. He's going to cost probably $11-12 million over 2 years while Chacin is getting $16. So not much surplus value to be had for starters. As has been noted, we need to be aiming higher than these #3-5 types if we're serious about competing.

If the right trade doesn't materialize, we save our chips and make moves at the deadline. Once these FA's sign, I suspect many of the big market teams that are contending will be extremely strapped for cash if they want to stay under the luxury tax. We will have a massive advantage over many teams on our ability to trade for high end starters at the deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 10:35 AM Post
This has potential. Maybe pieces like Perez, Wilkerson and a Grisham? This would be the trade to make if they have no luck signing one of the big 4 free agent pitchers. It still gives you four experienced starters at the beginning of the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 10:38 AM Post
I think I would rather target McHugh over Odorizzi.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 1:49 PM Post
I like McCugh a heck of a lot more than risking a long term deal for Lynn or Cobb. Stearns sure knows him. His numbers should improve in the NL too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 2:14 PM Post
I just looked up his numbers, and I must say that I was a bit surprised at how solid McHugh has been thus far in his career. Is he the TOR starter that I think this rotation still needs? No, he isn't. But, he's put up some pretty good numbers pitching in the AL and in that bandbox of a stadium in Houston over the past 4 season.

As someone else mentioned though - you'd only have him for this year and next before he hits FA. And again - while he'd be a nice addition to the staff, I'm not sure if he pushes the needle as a TOR type guy would. But, he also shouldn't cost us nearly as much as Archer would in prospects.

Certainly an interesting guy, and I agree that I might actually prefer him over someone like Odorizzi.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 2:56 PM Post
Would the Astros take Santana back?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 6:59 PM Post
McHugh is a great target for us. He's quietly been a 3-4 WAR pitcher, which is much better than a #4 in my opinion.

What does Houston want in return though?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 8:45 PM Post
DH is the only real glaring need for Houston. Santana is too much for just McHugh and I doubt Thames or Aguilar would do much for them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 9:34 PM Post
You would think Thames would be a good fit in Houston. Brings a left handed bat to 1B and to their DH position.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2018, 9:48 PM Post
AJ Reed is still a good LH 1B/DH prospect. Plus they have Marisnick and Derek fisher for LF with Martin Gonzalez and Gattis also. Kyle Rucker might be up in 2018 as well. No need for another hitter

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2018, 12:01 PM Post
Brew4U said:
You would think Thames would be a good fit in Houston. Brings a left handed bat to 1B and to their DH position.

In terms of OPS+ Thames would have been their 7th best hitter last year, narrowly beating out their current 1B Gurriel by 1 point. Take out Thames's monstrous first month and he's probably not an upgrade over any of their non-catcher hitters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2018, 12:13 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Brew4U said:

In terms of OPS+ Thames would have been their 7th best hitter last year, narrowly beating out their current 1B Gurriel by 1 point. Take out Thames's monstrous first month and he's probably not an upgrade over any of their non-catcher hitters.

Thames had an OPS+ of 147 last season vs RHP and an OPS against RHP of .933

The Stros had a team OPS of .827

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2018, 7:36 PM Post
The problem with sending Thames to Houston is that Gurriel and Marwin Gonzalez already have fairly pronounced splits favoring RHP. Jesus Aguilar would actually make more sense for them to plug in at 1B/DH. (I doubt that's enough for McHugh though)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:18 PM Post
We need to go snag this guy. He’s not going to be in their rotation and deserves to be. He could be a very underrated pitcher for the crew which may very well be the theme of their staff this season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:29 PM Post
WEll seems all agree that we still need pitching

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:35 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
WEll seems all agree that we still need pitching

...at the right price.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply