Davies
Chacin
Woodruff/Miley

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
We need to go snag this guy. He’s not going to be in their rotation and deserves to be. He could be a very underrated pitcher for the crew which may very well be the theme of their staff this season.

For those that either use to listen to the Up and In podcast, Kevin Goldstein appeared on this podcast last month and I found it quite good: Infinite Inning #038: Kevin Goldstein, Astros Troubleshooter

The reason I bring it up in this context is that Goldstein mentioned the Astros never view their starting pitching needs as just guys one through five in a rotation. He said they assume they are going to need a minimum of 9-10 major league starters each season. I think McHugh might be a good example of someone they assume will start for them again at some point during season.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Collin McHugh

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:48 PM Post
Eye Black, or anyone else, any idea on his options remaining status? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. I mean if he’s out, he could always be in the pen as he’s pitched too good just to be cut.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Eye Black, or anyone else, any idea on his options remaining status? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. I mean if he’s out, he could always be in the pen as he’s pitched too good just to be cut.

Good question, I typically use Roster Resource for options remaining and they have him listed as having one option remaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 8:55 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Brew4U said:

Good question, I typically use Roster Resource for options remaining and they have him listed as having one option remaining.

Thanks. That’s a bummer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2018, 6:24 AM Post
Why target Collin McHugh when you can target the other guy houston don't have room for. Brad Peacock?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 20, 2018, 7:00 PM Post
Calling Houston?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 20, 2018, 7:04 PM Post
It was reported that he will go to the pen. The same article mentioned that he might be available for trade but it sounded like they were connecting dots rather than reporting something out of their front office.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 8:30 AM Post
According to heyman, McHugh is available for trade.

How about Thames and Broxton and maybe ponce for mchugh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 8:43 AM Post
I would really love for us to add Collin before OD.

I mean we do go to Houston on Monday and Tuesday, so perfect time to work out a deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 8:55 AM Post
Has Houston been stretching McHugh out this spring as a projected starter, or has he just been getting time out of the pen this spring? What are the Astros needs right now? Do they need a 1B/DH type, or are we just grasping at straws here? I know as the defending champs, they probably don't have a ton of needs right now. Would they have any interest in Domingo? I'd want more than just McHugh for Domingo though.

Maybe McHugh, Corbin Martin and someone like Jairo Solis?

Is that too much for Domingo? Personally, I'd probably want more for Domingo than that package - but I get the sense that other teams don't value him nearly as much as we do right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 9:21 AM Post
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports writes that Collin McHugh could be available in a trade.

The Astros are loaded with starting pitcher depth, so it's not a huge surprise to hear that McHugh could be had in the right deal. As Heyman notes, he's due $5 million in 2018, and he's under team control through 2019 with one more arbitration-eligible season. Heyman also mentions the Twins and Orioles were interested in the right-hander earlier this season, and the Reds, Mariners, Brewers and Rangers as clubs still looking for starting pitching.

Source: FanRag SportsMar 23 - 9:50 AM

I'm already used to the idea of going into the season with our pitching as is, however, if we don't have to drain the farm, I'd be interested in this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 10:14 AM Post
Been beating this drum for a bit. Between this guy and Swihart. I would love to get either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 23, 2018, 10:53 PM Post
I wouldn't mind getting McHugh, but one of the 'connect the dots' proposals I saw from a writer involved Santana going back to Houston. I wouldn't be interested at that price unless there were notable pieces coming back with McHugh.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2018, 3:29 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I wouldn't mind getting McHugh, but one of the 'connect the dots' proposals I saw from a writer involved Santana going back to Houston. I wouldn't be interested at that price unless there were notable pieces coming back with McHugh.

Santana doesn't really seem like their type of player. The reasons they traded him are probably the same reasons they wouldn't be that interested in getting him back. Same with Phillips.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2018, 3:40 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
adambr2 said:

Santana doesn't really seem like their type of player. The reasons they traded him are probably the same reasons they wouldn't be that interested in getting him back. Same with Phillips.

Think it had a lot more to do with them just really liking Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers at the time and having to put together a good package to land them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2018, 7:36 PM Post
adambr2 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
adambr2 said:

Think it had a lot more to do with them just really liking Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers at the time and having to put together a good package to land them.

I'm sure it's some of both but Santana and Phillips are both big K guys and Houston has gone in the other direction. As for now, I don't know where Santana would even play in Houston. He'd probably be in a RF/DH rotation like he is here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 24, 2018, 9:57 PM Post
I wonder what they are going to be asking for Mcguh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2018, 9:56 AM Post
Regarding "not their type" with Santana (and Phillips), it seems as though the Astros went through a philosophical and coaching change.

-Springer struck out 25% of the time before last year and dropped it to 18%
-Gattis went from ~22% prior to 2017 to 15% in 2017.
-McCann didn't change a ton, but did drop his to close to his career low.

There were a handful of other guys that pushed it toward their career low. The Astros used to have strikeout problems, so you're right, going away from Luis Valbuena, Pena/Singleton, Castro, etc., they did seem to do some roster changes to take their strikeout problem to basically the best in the league but it seems like there was a philosophy change as well. I wonder if they'd work some magic on Santana as well. Maybe he cannot be worked with at this point, who knows.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2018, 6:46 PM Post
I wouldn't give up more than fodder for McHugh considering his salary. A soft tosser who has difficulty going deep into games. I wouldn't even consider Santana or Phillips. I have to think the Brewers have guys in house who could perform just as well if given the opportunity for a much lower cost

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply