LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 131 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Marcus Stroman

Offline  Re: Marcus Stroman

Posted: February 12, 2018, 3:44 PM Post
Oh yeah, Stroman is a d&mn ace. I don't flinch at his Fip. You could tell a year like last year was only a matter of time and once that time came he'd be a star for years. At 27... I'd pay more for him than Archer and feel comfortable about it.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Marcus Stroman

Posted: February 12, 2018, 3:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
Did Stroman have Tommy John surgery a few years ago? If, not what caused him to miss most of 2015? I just can't remember.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 3:51 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Did Stroman have Tommy John surgery a few years ago? If, not what caused him to miss most of 2015? I just can't remember.

Tore his ACL March of 2015.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 3:51 PM Post
reillymcshane said:

ACL

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:10 PM Post
Given how teams pay extra at the deadline, would Stroman actually cost that much less at the deadline versus right now?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:20 PM Post
stalton said:
Given how teams pay extra at the deadline, would Stroman actually cost that much less at the deadline versus right now?

I don't buy the price difference. Archer is expensive as heck now. Q didn't get a monster offer. Right now plenty of teams would want Archer. Maybe at the deadline fulmer archer stroman are all available and only 8 teams are seriously buying.

Will never come cheap, but not sure that the deadline is actually more expensive as of late.

Last edited by TJseven7 on February 12, 2018, 4:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:21 PM Post
I would love to have Stroman on the Brewers.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
Every time I see his name I think of Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:36 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:

I feel the same. I've expressed my concern about the amount being supposedly asked for by TB for Archer, but I'd be much more open to the idea of a package like that for Stroman. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I feel - I have a lot more faith in Stroman and, to me, that's worth one less year of control.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:40 PM Post
homer said:

I'm suggesting you leave before I have to get snooty.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
homer said:

Snooty?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 4:55 PM Post
anglotiger said:
3and2Fastball said:

I feel the same. I've expressed my concern about the amount being supposedly asked for by TB for Archer, but I'd be much more open to the idea of a package like that for Stroman. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I feel - I have a lot more faith in Stroman and, to me, that's worth one less year of control.

That's along the lines of my thoughts on the potential trade(s) as well, though my thought process is heavily influenced by having seen Stroman pitch during the WBC last year. (I saw Archer pitch against the Brewers as well, but that was a much lower-pressure outing.)

I also think that - assuming he pitches to expectations - the Brewers would make the effort to sign Stroman to a contract extension extending through their window of opportunity.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 6:06 PM Post
homer said:
trwi7 said:
homer said:

Snooty?

Snotty.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2018, 8:24 PM Post
HighHeat19 said:
And to add some value to this thread. Stroman is not a priority for the Brewer's or the Blue Jay's to trade at this time. Some groundwork has been laid out for a mid-summer trade dependent upon both team's in their respective standings.

However, the Brewer's are still adamant about acquiring another starter before opening day and realize it may not happen till closer to opening day.

Reading between the lines, I would take it as the Brewers adding a SP closer to opening day via trade where the pitcher has been in a camp to be ready for the regular season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2018, 11:09 AM Post
Why pay prospect cost equivalent to Archer for 1 year less team control? Age. Stroman starts the season 26 turning 27 in May. Archer turns 30 at season's end. Stroman pitched 2 CGs last year (1 against us) 6 games pitched in to the 8th inning or later. Lower HR/9 rate. Throws 5 pitches that are avg or better value. Trending better at prime age vs. trending stale? approaching 30 age.

And the fact Santana would have more value to Toronto than Tampa so maybe you're getting less cost on what it takes to trade for.

But at same time, Toronto would need a big trade return to entice them to move Stroman, as they need him more than we do. Trading Stroman would be a sign of not competing to .500 this year or "Tanking" So yeah, a Trade Deadline deal makes most sense with him as if Toronto weren't looking good trading away Stroman on a "Lost" season would present to the fans more reasonable than doing so now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 12:50 PM Post
Marcus Stroman lost his arbitration hearing against the Blue Jays and will receive a $6.5 million salary in 2018.

Stroman broke the news on his personal Twitter account Thursday: "Lost arbitration. Is what it is. Looking forward to going out and dealing again. The negative things that were said against me, by my own team, will never leave my mind. I’m thick-skinned so it will only fuel the fire. Can’t wait for this year!" Stroman had requested a salary of $6.9 million from the Toronto front office. He is a Super Two player and won't hit free agency until after the 2020 campaign.

Source: Marcus Stroman on TwitterFeb 15 - 1:31 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 12:56 PM Post
I doubt this moves the needle to moving him but it does show how bad the arbitration process is in baseball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 1:00 PM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I doubt this moves the needle to moving him but it does show how bad the arbitration process is in baseball.

One of many issues baseball needs to fix.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 1:00 PM Post
That’s a huge problem I see with arbitration. You literally have a team telling a , in this case, star player that he’s not as good as he says he is while also telling him they see him as a big part of the teams future. I understand it’s business and they are all professionals but I can definitely see how there would be some hard feelings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2018, 1:02 PM Post
I know it is a business but why argue over 400k with your "ace" pitcher? Seems so minimal to go through this process and tick off your best pitcher.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 131 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply