LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Fixing 2B/C

Online  Re: Fixing 2B/C

Posted: May 10, 2018, 9:36 PM Post
LouisEly said:
adambr2 said:
Jed Lowrie has to be the most obvious “go get him” candidate out there right now. He doesn’t play for a team that expects to contend, he is a switch hitter and versatile in a pinch, he’s a rental who shouldn’t be overly expensive, and is a good defender. He pretty much checks every box.

This, this, and this. Who would the Brewers have to include with Villar to get him? Ponce? Stokes plus Derby?

Villar and Ponce was exactly one of the deals I was throwing around in my mind today. I just have no idea if it's close either way, I have a hard time pegging Lowrie's value as a rental.

Ponce makes sense to me as a trade chip this year because he's a guy who would need to be protected before next season. Unfortunately he's off to a disastrous start.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 8:04 AM Post
Does Villar have any trade value? If we prefer to give Nick Franklin starts over him, what does that say about him?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Fixing 2B/C

Posted: May 11, 2018, 8:21 AM Post
Villar probably has less trade value now than when the Brewers acquired him for Cy Sneed because he is actually making decent money now and is in the process of having two consecutive bad years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 9:16 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Does Villar have any trade value? If we prefer to give Nick Franklin starts over him, what does that say about him?

He doesn’t. He’s the throw-in to Oakland, the “well you need someone to play 2nd and maybe you get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle like we had hoped to” guy in the Villar/Ponce deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 9:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
adambr2 said:
Jed Lowrie has to be the most obvious “go get him” candidate out there right now. He doesn’t play for a team that expects to contend, he is a switch hitter and versatile in a pinch, he’s a rental who shouldn’t be overly expensive, and is a good defender. He pretty much checks every box.

This, this, and this. Who would the Brewers have to include with Villar to get him? Ponce? Stokes plus Derby?

Yeah, Lowrie would be ideal. We just have to wait until Oakland gets to the point where they are out of the race and willing to deal him. If that happens - and Milwaukee is still in it - a Lowrie/Lucroy package would be interesting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 9:27 AM Post
I'd like to see the Brewers trade for Danny Jansen, AAA catcher in the Blue Jays system. He's a Wisconsin kid, too (grew up in Appleton).

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2018/ALL

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 11:01 AM Post
What about Raffy Lopez from San Diego at catcher? I don't know a ton about him but he is a former Cubs 16th round draft pick. He is 30 years old and won't be a free agent until 2024. In 8 minor league seasons (over 2,000PA) he carried a .275/.358/.416/.774 slash line. He is a left-handed bat that could replace Vogt from that side of the plate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
Just looked at Lucroy's stat line. We could've used that here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 2:46 PM Post
Brew4U said:

How do you know he wanted to come back?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2018, 2:48 PM Post
wallus said:
Brew4U said:

How do you know he wanted to come back?

Where did I say that he did? Just stated that we could’ve used that production so far.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2018, 1:58 PM Post
Watching the Reds-Dodgers game highlights, their 2b is a really good player! [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2018, 4:56 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Watching the Reds-Dodgers game highlights, their 2b is a really good player! [smile]

I would have zero objections to bringing him back. Final arby next offseason, FA in 2020... wonder what it would take. Brett Phillips straight up?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2018, 5:41 PM Post
Scooter haters have been quiet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2018, 5:58 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
It'll be interesting to see what Cincy can get for him. They should absolutely be looking to deal him this year, when he's not just a rental.

Last year & so far this season, his road OPS has been .810-.815, & home about .940-.950. I'd still happily take an .800+ OPS from 2B, but he might go for a cheaper price than you'd expect at first glance of his stat line.

Would also be nice to add another lefty bat to the lineup. Not sure I'd give up Phillips for him, but not sure I wouldn't, either. Cincy is probably not happy with just Phillips.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 12, 2018, 6:03 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Lucroy's also off to a good start with Oakland. Definitely a small sample, but his slash line looks a lot like the Lucroy we had in Milwaukee.

If he can keep hitting, I wonder what his price tag would be (as a rental)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2018, 8:28 PM Post
If you're not sure if you'd give up said player(s) in a deal and also think the other team may want more, then it's likely a fair trade.

If the Brewers are serious in contending this year, they make a package offer for both Lowrie and Lucroy. Ponce, Stokes, one of Derby/Perrin (with Villar thrown in)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2018, 7:35 AM Post
Cano broke his hand yesterday and Mariners don't have an obvious replacement unless they take Gordon out of CF and move him back to 2B. Either way, Stearns should be on the phone discussing Villar or Broxton or both to the Ms. Not that the return would be great, but just to clear the logjam. Combined they could bring back more than each individually.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2018, 7:49 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Cano broke his hand yesterday and Mariners don't have an obvious replacement unless they take Gordon out of CF and move him back to 2B. Either way, Stearns should be on the phone discussing Villar or Broxton or both to the Ms. Not that the return would be great, but just to clear the logjam. Combined they could bring back more than each individually.

Agreed with this. If we are not going to use Villar and obviously Broxton is blocked, we should be looking to move them. Now, obviously it takes two to tango but these two players make a lot of sense for Seattle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2018, 8:03 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
The way Broxton is hitting in AAA, I doubt he has much of any trade value at all at this point. Interested teams may just wait for him to be DFA'd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2018, 9:33 AM Post
Maybe if they sell the Mariners on Sogard's bad luck BABIP so far this year they can trade him for three more rookie ball arms and we can complain Stearns didn't get enough in return for an established MLB vet...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 98 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply