LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next  [ 211 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What should be DS targets

Offline  Re: What should be DS targets

Posted: May 29, 2018, 11:37 AM Post
Carlos Rodon.

Obvious injury concerns with him coming off of a shoulder surgery but he's one rehab start away from being back in the big leagues. Might also be too early in his years of control for the White Sox to consider dealing him.

Fits the profile of a guy the Brewers would make a move for with his wipe out slider. Change up was coming on very strong last August before the injury. Love to see what Derek Johnson could do with a guy like this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 11:58 AM Post
brooks_quichenick said:
I wonder what it would take to get Bumgarner. He does have limited no-trade protections to a handful of clubs, which the Brewers could be on.

But he also has a very reasonable $12 million club option for next season.

Way more than we'd be willing to pay, if Bumgarner became available he would be the #1 target on the block and there would be a massive bidding war for him. No indication that the Giants are looking to sell in the mediocre NL West anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 12:58 PM Post
It's unlikely the Giants trade Bumgarner because the NL West is bad so they're relatively close and they've stayed relatively close without Bumgarner all year and Cueto most of it while also having a difficult schedule.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 1:56 PM Post
adambr2 said:
brooks_quichenick said:
I wonder what it would take to get Bumgarner. He does have limited no-trade protections to a handful of clubs, which the Brewers could be on.

But he also has a very reasonable $12 million club option for next season.

Way more than we'd be willing to pay, if Bumgarner became available he would be the #1 target on the block and there would be a massive bidding war for him. No indication that the Giants are looking to sell in the mediocre NL West anyway.

I think there would be an absolute riot in San Francisco if the Giants traded Bumgarner.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 6:37 PM Post
I think DS will pull a name no one is thinking about.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 6:46 PM Post
Hiura, Peralta/Burnes, and someone else pretty highly touted I’d guess for MadBum.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 9:04 PM Post
Whatever happens, it's getting pretty obvious that Zach Davies doesn't belong as anything more than a #5 starter. We need to acquire depth if we aren't buying an ace.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 9:08 PM Post
Those are the hot take types of thought I really hope Stearns stays away from. It will ruin this process being made.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 9:41 PM Post
I'm as annoyed with Davies as anyone, but here are his career splits:

1st half: .793 OPS against, 1.36 WHIP, 4.56 ERA
2nd half: .676 OPS against, 1.23 WHIP, 3.37 ERA

Its frustrating right now, but if history holds true, we are going to want and need that 2nd half Davies down the stretch. He just isn't good for several months out of the gates for whatever reason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 10:00 PM Post
I’m not a big fan of calling Davies a “slow starter” and giving him a free pass. First off small sample size warning for the whole slow starter thing. He struggled greatly to start last year in April/May...in 2016 he struggled in April (3 starts), but rebounded by May.

Zach Davies needs to be replaced if he is still a garbage pitcher come July. No need to panic because he is just coming back from an injury. We have a whole month plus some to decide if he is acceptable or not. However Zach Davies relies so heavily on his control. If that shoulder injury throws him off even slightly he is quickly subpar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2018, 10:06 PM Post
I'm not giving him a free pass. He needs to perform to stay in the rotation. However he's been successful enough the last few years to at least be given until Nelson returns to start showing some rebound signs. If they're not there by then, go ahead and let him figure it out in AAA.

But the fact does remain that he's been a very good second half pitcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 30, 2018, 6:18 AM Post
If he is still ailing and seems to be rushing his comeback, just DL him for 10 days and go with Woodruff or Peralta for a couple of starts. If he just needs to work out his control, just let him work it out with Johnson. I believe the management will make the right call.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2018, 1:20 PM Post
As others' have mentioned, I like:

JA Happ and Lowrie

Put me down for Brad Hand again this year.

This is a pretty well rounded team. The starting pitching I think still leaves a bit to be desired if you're talking about a WS contender but every where else they're really good (right now)

This team has a bit of a feel like the Royals did a couple years back. You're not really sure if they belong but they can beat you in a lot of ways. The starting pitching isn't elite but the bullpen is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 02, 2018, 11:09 PM Post
What about Shields?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 02, 2018, 11:13 PM Post
superfly said:
What about Shields?

If you think he can keep his HR/FB rate lower than it's ever been, sure. I wouldn't count on that though.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 6:19 AM Post
I have a hard time giving up on Davies who's been a cool customer for the Brewers. But this may just not his year. Time will tell. I'll throw another name into the mix: Dan Straily. He'd come with 2 more years of control.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 10:07 AM Post
I really think Wilson Ramos should be a target. He is a rental, but I wouldn't think he would cost much -- especially compared to Realmuto. He was great in 2016, injured most of last year, and has been solid so far in 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 1:12 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Surhoff5 said:
I really think Wilson Ramos should be a target. He is a rental, but I wouldn't think he would cost much -- especially compared to Realmuto. He was great in 2016, injured most of last year, and has been solid so far in 2018.

Good target, Surhoff5. Tampa may want to wait until the deadline to see if they can close the gap on the AL's second WC spot. For now it's looking like the WC's will go to two of BOS/NYY/SEA/HOU. Hopefully those clubs make Tampa's decision easy & sooner.

Via MLBTradeRumors, I found an article from one of the Rays' beat writers from April 14th, with this note buried way at the end:
If the suddenly catcher-depleted Mets had enough interest in Wilson Ramos to take even most of his team-high $10.5 million salary, the Rays would love to talk.
Sounds like they might listen to offers even now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 5:18 PM Post
I'm not a fan of Ramos as a target, because his price is going to be jacked up the league-wide need for catching help (the Nationals and Astros in particular come to mind). Pina works well with the pitching staff and he has a bit of offensive upside if his BABIP normalizes.

I would rather target a rental position player where we can get better value, such as 2B/SS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 07, 2018, 7:36 AM Post
As the season progresses, it looks more and more like the starting pitching is what will need an upgrade. Brewers sit at 8th in the NL in runs/game, 9th in starting pitching ERA and 1st in relief pitching ERA. So more bats or starting pitching? What is really a concern is that the xFIP for Brewer starters is 4.58, and that's the second worst mark in the NL (just barely behind the Marlins - 4.62). Now maybe Stearns will think Miley and Peralta will fix that down the road, but it's hard for me to think any analytics guy would look at the current number and not be concerned about it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next  [ 211 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply