LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 211 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What should be DS targets

Online  Re: What should be DS targets
Posted: June 15, 2018, 10:28 AM Post
Barring injury ... I just don't see many spots Stearns is going to feel the need to dish any prospects of note to upgrade the club. I'm sure he will make a minor deal or two to maybe get a middle infielder and maybe another bullpen arm for depth?

The biggest acquisition we will be getting at the deadline is Jimmy Nelson. Let's cross our fingers Anderson is starting to round into form ... but with a rotation of Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Davies, Guerra .... who are we replacing with a trade? Guerra has earned his spot. Chacin might be our best starter. The answer is Davies but he won 17 games last year ... the Brewers are going to give him every chance to figure things out once he's back.

The only spot I could see Stearns dishing real prospects for an upgrade is a catcher that has future control.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What should be DS targets
Posted: June 15, 2018, 10:58 AM Post
liveforoctober said:

The biggest acquisition we will be getting at the deadline is Jimmy Nelson.

Nelson is far far far far from a sure thing to even be back at the all star break - it's only a little over a month away and he's only playing long toss. At this point it seems like late August at the earliest, and even then it's a long long long long longshot that he's immediately effective as he was last year. It took him how many years to figure it out the first time, there's a lot of doubt that he can just drop right in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 11:43 AM Post
I'm not expecting much from Nelson and will be pleased if we get more than that.

That said, the point about our pitching remains: Barring more injuries to the bullpen or various starters, we're gonna make it to September pitching with new-age baseball tendencies. This makes Jhoulys Chacin or Brent Suter backed up by Josh Hader basically as effective as 7 innings of Cole Hamels.

And by "make it to September," I mean that once we get to September 1, we'll have even more available arms to finish the season playing the bullpen game and there are enough off days in the playoffs to do what we've already done.

Point being from all of this: I think the only true upgrade would be having deGrom or Thor throw 6-7 innings and still have Hader, etc. in the bullpen. I don't think I want to trade for them given the cost to do so. So I think the most likely course of action is to pick up a Swarzak-type cheap acquisition to bolster the bullpen depth if guys like Albers remain out. Beyond that, I think we may just be throwing prospects away to get the same value that we already have in our rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 11:46 AM Post
Yellin4Yelich said:
How about Brad Hand (or another premium RP)?

Double down on our competitive edge - it would be an insane bullpen. We could just bullpen the crap out of every playoff game.

He's relatively affordable and controllable, but probably will have a high price tag at the deadline

I'd be down for Hand depending on price. I think some of the other relievers from the Padres like Stammen probably make more sense for the Brewers if the Padres decide to sell some of them of.

Even though we've seen the Brewers value relievers we haven't seen them pay high prices for them either in trade or free agency. I don't think Hand is a very Stearns move. I could dream on hand being added to this bullpen though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 11:51 AM Post
Hand is going to cost an arm and a leg. (Rimshot).

Seriously though, he's going to cost too much. Relievers can fetch insane deadline prices, pretty much every contender could use one, and Hand has multiple years of cheap control that make him even more valuable.

Padres can probably extract Hiura + type value from someone. Can't justify giving up our best prospects for a luxury add that we don't really need.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 2:35 PM Post
Britton just came back from his injury. It wouldn't hurt to get another lefty in the pen. Price tag is unknown right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 2:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
Britton just came back from his injury. It wouldn't hurt to get another lefty in the pen. Price tag is unknown right now.

I'm guessing Baltimore is going to hang on to him a while so that he can prove he's healthy. If he's lights out, the price will certainly go up. But right now, I doubt Britton costs too much since he's making $12M and coming off an injury. Take on his remaining salary and perhaps you don't have to give up too much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 2:51 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
nate82 said:

I'm guessing Baltimore is going to hang on to him a while so that he can prove he's healthy. If he's lights out, the price will certainly go up. But right now, I doubt Britton costs too much since he's making $12M and coming off an injury. Take on his remaining salary and perhaps you don't have to give up too much.

Yeah I don't expect Baltimore to move Britton anytime soon and his value could be sky high or it could be nothing at all. I would still be interested in him no matter what as he could fill in as a lefty only worst case scenario.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 3:20 PM Post
Who could be had and how much? Huira and Burnes are untouchable.

Jed Lowrie- 2B/SS (Erceg)
Tim Anderson- Unsure of cost (Santana and Nottingham)
Marcus Siemien- Would cost a lot (Santana, Nottingham and Peralta)
Asdrubal Cabrera- Would cost. Can he play SS full time? (Peralta and Ray)
Freddy Galvis- Could be cheap (Erceg)
Manny Machado- #3 Hitter, rental ( Santana, Ray and Peralta)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 10:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
BrewCrewBlueDevil said:
Who could be had and how much? Huira and Burnes are untouchable.

Jed Lowrie- 2B/SS (Erceg)
Tim Anderson- Unsure of cost (Santana and Nottingham)
Marcus Siemien- Would cost a lot (Santana, Nottingham and Peralta)
Asdrubal Cabrera- Would cost. Can he play SS full time? (Peralta and Ray)
Freddy Galvis- Could be cheap (Erceg)
Manny Machado- #3 Hitter, rental ( Santana, Ray and Peralta)

Lowrie would be a fine 2B, but he's really come down the past month. More of a utility guy - or if you think he'll stabilize 2B - he's an option.

Carbera would a rental as he's a FA after the season. No way you pay that much for him. And he's not a very good SS anymore. He'd be fine 2B if you wanted to get a guy to solidify the position for the rest of the year. Perhaps he wouldn't be awful at SS, but I remember seeing him a year or two ago at the position and he seems to have really lost his range (which was never that good).

Semien isn't anything special in my opinion. He's okay. I don't think he'd cost anything close to what you've posted. But maybe others feel he's a lot better.

Galvis is not much different than Arica. Good defender, can't hit. At 28, never will change. I'd pass.

Anderson has a .290 OBP for his career. He's got some talent, but his inability to get on base is a killer. Just too flawed of a player for my taste. I certainly wouldn't want to have him in our line up now.

Machado would be ideal. I think the price would be big - but not massive, as he's a rental. But exactly how much he would cost is another story. You're offer of Peralta, Ray and Santana seems high on initial glance - but when you consider it, Santana's stock is really down. And Ray and Peralta aren't can't miss type prospects. Not sure if Baltimore would want Santana. I read somewhere they would want a couple of young, close to the majors arms.

Some interesting ideas.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2018, 11:09 PM Post
I've got to think Brandon Woodruff still holds some solid trade value. He was a low top 100 prospect before his graduation, and between his dominance for the Sky Sox this year and mixed results for the Brewers, that value probably holds firm now.

He has nice stuff and really has only had one bad outing this year -- a real ERA buster in Colorado.

Depending on how comfortable we are with parting with him, he could be a good fit for a club like the Orioles who can afford to be patient with him.

I'm not saying you could get Machado for Woodruff alone, but depending on how Manny's market develops, if the Orioles want controlled young pitching, he could make sense as a headliner.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2018, 8:46 AM Post
Just throwing this out there as pure speculation, but I wonder if the Giants would consider a trade centered around Brandon Crawford for Orlando Arcia if they fall further out of contention.

Crawford is under a reasonable contract through 2021, but he's already 31 so his prime is probably not in front of him, whereas the should-be-rebuilding Giants could give Arcia a couple seasons to turn into a star. It also helps them clear a bit more off their overstuffed payroll.

When Crawford is on, as he has been so far this season, he's not much worse than Manny Machado as an overall player. Elite defense and he can hit a bit.

A couple moves like adding Tyson Ross and Brandon Crawford could help us a lot more than one big splashy player.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2018, 9:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
SRB said:
Just throwing this out there as pure speculation, but I wonder if the Giants would consider a trade centered around Brandon Crawford for Orlando Arcia if they fall further out of contention.

Crawford is under a reasonable contract through 2021, but he's already 31 so his prime is probably not in front of him, whereas the should-be-rebuilding Giants could give Arcia a couple seasons to turn into a star. It also helps them clear a bit more off their overstuffed payroll.

When Crawford is on, as he has been so far this season, he's not much worse than Manny Machado as an overall player. Elite defense and he can hit a bit.

A couple moves like adding Tyson Ross and Brandon Crawford could help us a lot more than one big splashy player.

I like Crawford a lot. And adding him would mean the defense wouldn't suffer. As you note, age is not on his side, but you figure he's got a couple of good seasons left in him. His bat is solid - nothing special (I don't expect him to hit .300+ like his is this year - more like .260ish).

He's due $15M per year through 2021, so he isn't cheap.

Not sure SF would deal him (although they should).

I guess it all comes down to are you willing to move on from Arcia. That's Stearns' call - and I don't know what the answer is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 16, 2018, 10:10 AM Post
SRB said:

Crawford is an interesting target but I ask you this: which players have the most trade value for a rebuilding SF Giants team?
In my estimation if Crawford isn't #1, he is #1A to MadBum. That means they are looking for a huge value haul for Crawford.

They would be demanding Hader & likely Keston (for the local marketing) & a young minor league pitcher. If the Crew tries to keep Hader & Keston out of it, all the rest of the minors would be on the table & that it means at least 2 of the following 3 pitchers would be going (Burnes/ Woodruff/ F.Peralta) if not all 3. If only 2, then there are other pieces going as well but I would expect the Giants to be making a pitching grab.

The Giants might have some interest in Arcia but I would not count on it. They could use the payroll flexibility (gained by moving Crawford) to take on a lousy contract & also get a different high upside SS that is blocked in a different organization.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 12:25 PM Post
Crawford for Arcia and a couple of our top ten prospects should be enough since we would be on the hook for what, about 50 million thru 2021. Eh, I don't know if I like it...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 4:20 PM Post
Machado is the target. He has to be.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 4:23 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
Machado is the target. He has to be.

It’s not Stearns style, be prepared to be disappointed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 4:58 PM Post
Why do people act like they know what Stearns' style is? He hasn't been here long enough to have a style. Unless you're talking about last year when we were a few games behind in the division to a better team and 5-6 games back in the wildcard and not in any position to go after a big name, especially a rental.

Not saying I want to go after a rental (it's like the last thing I want Stearns to do) just saying we have no idea if he would or not.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 9:22 PM Post
Machado is exactly what they need if the goal is to win the central, and because of his situation he wouldn’t cost the entire farm like DeGrom and Thor.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2018, 9:55 PM Post
It's just kind of a silly time of year for rumors, and I would agree with Trwi that trying to predict what Stearns will or won't do is a fool's errand at this point. Reports mean little, the same reports had us sending Braun for Kemp in the offseason. You constantly see 'reports', the latest ones saying the Brewers will heavily target starting pitching but not Machado. I doubt anyone really knows.

I don't expect us to heavily pursue Machado if the price is too much, but I do expect us to at least do our due diligence on it and keep an eye on his trade market and gauge if an offer makes sense.

I would caution against using the JD Martinez or any rental from last year as a baseline expectation for Machado's market, though. Every market is different. I really have no idea what he will cost, but if I had to venture a guess I would bet it will be a lot closer to a Yu Darvish return than a JD Martinez return. Maybe more than a Yu Darvish return.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 211 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply