LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  [ 457 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Syndergaard and deGrom

Offline  Re: Syndergaard and deGrom
Posted: November 29, 2018, 6:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
I’m slightly curious why the guy who helped represent Noah Syndergaard until a month ago is seemingly so intent on moving him? I’m far from a conspiracy theorist, but the fact that no one outside of the doctors and Thor himself would likely know Syndergaard’s medicals better than the CAA staff is slightly disconcerting.

I also think it is strange Van Wagenen is on the verge of trading for the mega Cano contract he personally negotiated as an agent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 6:39 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Patrick425 said:
Soo....the Mets are talking to teams about Syndergaard and also trying to obtain 36 year old Cano. Huh??

Smart really. Get arguably the best young reliever in the game in exchange for taking on a contract they can afford instead of giving up big prospects.

So if you can afford something, then it's perfectly acceptable to overpay? Also, who's the reliever you are talking about? I must have missed that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 6:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
Patrick425 said:
Also, who's the reliever you are talking about? I must have missed that.

Edwin Diaz would be part of the deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 7:06 PM Post
So with Cano going to the Mets, does that rule out Hiura in a trade?

Also it could mean that the brewers aren’t a match which is more than likely.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 7:44 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
adambr2 said:
Patrick425 said:
Soo....the Mets are talking to teams about Syndergaard and also trying to obtain 36 year old Cano. Huh??

Smart really. Get arguably the best young reliever in the game in exchange for taking on a contract they can afford instead of giving up big prospects.

So if you can afford something, then it's perfectly acceptable to overpay? Also, who's the reliever you are talking about? I must have missed that.

They are getting Edwin Diaz as part of the deal. If you are paying a grand for a pencil but getting a pair of Game 7 World Series tickets thrown in, yes it is perfectly acceptable to pay a grand for the pencil.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 7:50 PM Post
It would seem odd to trade Thor if you make a "go for it" trade by adding Cano and Diaz. A little odd IMHO

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 8:02 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
It would seem odd to trade Thor if you make a "go for it" trade by adding Cano and Diaz. A little odd IMHO

Well they are pretty well set up in the rotation anyway and the talk is that they would plan to replace Noah with a free agent starter. They may be very concerned about Syndergaard's injury history and want to sell on him now rather than wait which makes me even more skeptical about acquiring him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2018, 8:04 PM Post
IntentionalHBP said:
So with Cano going to the Mets, does that rule out Hiura in a trade?

I certainly hope so...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2018, 4:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
The reports overnight say the Cano deal will NOT include Mets 2B Jeff McNeil. Losing Keston Hiura as part of the deal for Syndergaard would be slightly easier to stomach if the Brewers could also get McNeil in the deal. McNeil is a high contact rate lefty hitting 2B with some positional flexibility.

Beyond likely Hiura and Burnes I have no idea who else the deal would include (probably at least a couple of additional pieces).

A random connection is Josh Hader, Ryan Braun, and Jimmy Nelson are all CAA clients (none of them had been directly represented by Van Wagenen, however).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2018, 6:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would think Cano’s presence eliminates Hiura for the Mets, therefore, if the Brewers pursue Syndergaard, the deal probably begins with Burnes.

My guess - the Brewers won’t get him.

The Mets are adding Edwin Diaz while keeping their top two prospects, because they can take the financial risk with Cano, and at that, some of that cash is being offset by the inclusion of Bruce and Swarzak - it must be nice to be on the other side of the tilted playing field.

I don’t know if the Mets will get where they’re trying to go, but this is a move several franchises couldn’t afford to try.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2018, 8:38 AM Post
I mean, I know it's the Mets - but if they actually deal for Cano and Diaz can we just bury the thought of them trading away either Thor or Degrom at this point? I've never thought they were ever seriously considering trading away these arms, because big market teams don't let young or in their prime pitching with ace potential go via trade unless the trade offer is just absurdly high...it's just too easy for larger payroll teams to be competitive by spending in other places if they have a stable of young and relatively inexpensive starting pitching.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2018, 9:24 AM Post
I also doubt Noah is actually on the trade block at this point.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
A Swing and A Drive said:
I also doubt Noah is actually on the trade block at this point.

The original theory being reported was that the Mets wanted to trade Syndergaard and sign a free agent starting pitcher such as Patrick Corbin. I don’t disagree that it sounds a little far-fetched, but a week ago I would have had my doubts about the trade they are on the verge of pulling off with the Mariners as well.

I am NOT advocating for this, but apparently the Mets want to acquire an elite relief pitcher to pair with Diaz. If that is the case I would assume Josh Hader would interest them. Hader is represented by CAA, the agency where Van Wagenen co-led the baseball division until earlier this off-season.

Again, I am NOT advocating for this as a Brewers fan, but if the Mets want to win now this is what it could look like...

Brewers receive Noah Syndergaard.

Mets receive Josh Hader and Corbin Burnes.

Mets sign Patrick Corbin to 5-years, $115 million.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:35 AM Post
I would be physically ill if we traded Hader and Burnes for almost anybody not named Trout. Yikes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 6:53 PM Post
We don’t have enough to trade for Thor that would make any sense for us.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:26 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
We don’t have enough to trade for Thor that would make any sense for us.

Not unless the Mets think far higher of the rest of our farm system than everyone else seemingly does.

But I look at that potential transaction that the Mets would make...Hader+Burnes for Thor, then sign Corbin. I'm a broken record here, but we CAN afford a 5 year 115 million dollar deal for Corbin. I think 5/125 with a team option in year 6 where we buy him out for 7.5 million or keep him for say...30 million might be more realistic given the NY-Corbin connection. But still, there are not many times when you're as close as the Brewers are right now to winning a World Series. I know this would hurt a bit down the road, but....you go from game 7 of the NLCS without a legit front of the rotation starter to coming back with essentially the same team, but you add Nelson and Corbin to that team?

Why trade away 9 years of potentially elite pitching so another team can sign Corbin before we at least see if we can lure him away from New York?

So I like this move better;

Brewers KEEP Hader+Burnes
AND Sign Patrick Corbin.

At that point, our 25 man is all but set with just a few small adjustments here or there. A couple of Gallardo/Miley type moves...and the rest can hopefully come from within the system. And we still have plenty of in house talent to bring up to fill some holes, namely Dubon and Hirura, but also possibly someone like Brown who forces his way into the pen next year as Peralta and Burnes did this past year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 1:55 PM Post
I'm going to speculate that the moves by the Mets make them FAR less likely to trade Thor. Acquiring Cano/Diaz is a win now move. It wouldn't make sense to move someone the caliber of Thor unless they are absolutely terrified about his health for the coming year and going forward. If they were still entertaining offers at this point, I would walk away...it woudl signal to me that they know something about his health that nobody else does and that he's a bad target.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  [ 457 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply