LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brad Miller DFA'd

Offline  Brad Miller DFA'd

Posted: June 07, 2018, 1:06 PM Post
Brad Miller's slash line this year: .256/.322/.429, 109 OPS+. Despite the Rays weird insistence that he play 1B, he's actually been an average to slightly above average defensive 2B in his career. I think he could help Milwaukee. I'd take him over Sogard.

Offline  Re: Brad Miller DFA'd

Posted: June 07, 2018, 1:18 PM Post
Left handed stick, and decent OBP. I could very easily see this happening. I totally forgot that Miller hit 30 bombs in 2016. He's also not old at 28.

Edit: His 27% K rate in 2017 would also seem to mesh well with this team, unfortunately.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 1:49 PM Post
Why is this guy getting let go?

Posted: June 07, 2018, 1:55 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Makes $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration. I imagine that is the case. Tampa is in cost-cutting mode. At 28-32, they have exceeded expectations, but stand no chance of catching the Red Sox and Yankees.

If I were Stearns, not only would I be on the phone to inquire on Miller, but Archer and Ramos as well.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 2:00 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

Makes $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration. I imagine that is the case. Tampa is in cost-cutting mode. At 28-32, they have exceeded expectations, but stand no chance of catching the Red Sox and Yankees.

If I were Stearns, not only would I be on the phone to inquire on Miller, but Archer and Ramos as well.

You'd think if they did it to cut costs they would have just non-tendered him after the season. They don't save a dime by cutting him now, they're on the hook for the whole 4.5M.

But yeah, if you can get him for super cheap -- Brad Miller or Sogard? That's a no-brainer.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 2:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting option.

Miller is best suited for 2B. He can play SS, but is not very good there. He's got some pop. He has also struggled against left handed pitchers in his career - in particular his slugging against lefties plummets.

I don't really think he's an upgrade over Villar. Better than Sogard? Yes.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 2:19 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:
Interesting option.

Miller is best suited for 2B. He can play SS, but is not very good there. He's got some pop. He has also struggled against left handed pitchers in his career - in particular his slugging against lefties plummets.

I don't really think he's an upgrade over Villar. Better than Sogard? Yes.

The bold is how I'd describe Sogard, so why not take a shot on Miller?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Posted: June 07, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
Play Villar at SS, Miller at 2B. Arcia in late in the game when we have a lead.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 2:53 PM Post
That's all good and well, but how scrappy is he?

Posted: June 07, 2018, 3:30 PM Post
I think the staff has made it clear they don't trust Villar at SS.

If you swap,out Miller for Sogard then you are going to have to play Perez or Miller at short when Arcia sits.

Hopefully Saladino will be back fairly soon.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 4:30 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Play Villar at SS, Miller at 2B. Arcia in late in the game when we have a lead.

I'd rather just leave Villar at 2nd. He seems to be adjusting to that spot and starting to be useful on offense again. He seems like a guy who struggles with some fairly simple things to begin with so why make changes when he's starting to get on track?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 5:38 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

You'd think if they did it to cut costs they would have just non-tendered him after the season. They don't save a dime by cutting him now, they're on the hook for the whole 4.5M.

But yeah, if you can get him for super cheap -- Brad Miller or Sogard? That's a no-brainer.

If he gets claimed on waivers, the claiming team is on the hook for his remaining salary. The Reds claimed Scooter last year and took on his contract.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 6:37 PM Post
I understand, just don't expect him to be claimed. Think teams will wait it out and see if they can get him for the prorated minimum. But I could be wrong. And its possible a team works out a trade for part of the money. It might make sense for us to put in a claim given all that if we're comfortable with the salary.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 7:57 PM Post
His BABIP is almost 60 points higher than his career and even with that his slash is only a little better than league average. His K% has steadily risen throughout his career and his defense is below average anywhere you point him. If he clears waivers and comes at the league minimum I'd give him a shot and hope to catch some lightning, otherwise I don't think he's much of an improvement over what's already on the roster.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 8:09 PM Post
There are amateur players that are an improvement over Sogard. Miller is worth the claim.

Online  Re: Brad Miller DFA'd

Posted: June 07, 2018, 8:38 PM Post
Seems like an utter desperation move just to improve one spot on the bench. Pretty confident we could find a way better improvement by giving up a little value. You know someone who could maybe start at SS among other positions.

Brad Miller just seems pointless. Lets actually make a real improvement, not just getting a backup 2B who can’t play anywhere else. Miller is just a feel good type add that does essentially nothing in the big picture.

Posted: June 07, 2018, 8:51 PM Post
What’s to stop us from adding Miller now and someone of significance later on?

Posted: June 07, 2018, 9:07 PM Post
Miller's contract for the rest of the year is more than Sogard's for the whole year. A claim or trade for him and they have to pay that. And also pay Sogard whether he's in Milwaukee, Colorado Springs, or the unemployment line. They're not going to take on that contract with a "eh, let's see what happens attitude".

Posted: June 07, 2018, 9:18 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Miller's contract for the rest of the year is more than Sogard's for the whole year. A claim or trade for him and they have to pay that. And also pay Sogard whether he's in Milwaukee, Colorado Springs, or the unemployment line. They're not going to take on that contract with a "eh, let's see what happens attitude".

It’s $2.8M’ish... it’s not a huge amount of money.

Online  Re: Brad Miller DFA'd

Posted: June 07, 2018, 9:20 PM Post
Brew4U said:
What’s to stop us from adding Miller now and someone of significance later on?

I mean, sure, I guess you could. Easy to say that when it isn’t your money though. Waste some money on Miller and Sogard to not be on the MLB team in a month or so is kind of a waste of resources if you ask me.

If we are that desperate just go call the Marlins on Castro or the A’s on Lowrie. Just force a deal there...or just wait. Not saying I personally advocate for acquiring either of those guys, but if we are trying to improve that seems more effective than Brad Miller.

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply