LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

How agressive will Stearns be at the deadline?

Offline  Re: How agressive will Stearns be at the deadline?

Posted: June 12, 2018, 8:02 AM Post
For whatever it's worth, Ross would probably be a modest upgrade to this rotation. I'm not that interested in doing it since it is at best a slight upgrade, but you could argue he's a #2 or #3.

Straily wouldn't crack the rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 8:06 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
paul253 said:
I don’t really see the point of adding yet another mid to back end starter. That’s all this team really has. I’d rather see them go big or go with what they have, rotation wise.

Exactly ... they aren't going to add another crap #3-4 starter like Ross or Straily because it's redundant. If they needed that, they'd just hand the ball to Woodruff or Burnes or any other of 4-5 guys they have in the system.

No, if they make a move for a starting pitcher, it's going to be someone big. And it's going to cost a lot.

Guess I'd have to disagree about Tyson Ross simply being a back end starter. As a MLB starter this season, Ross has posted a pretty solid 3.43 ERA/1.24 WHIP this season and Woodruff sits at 6.32 ERA/1.53 WHIP. Who knows what Burnes would do? It's too bad Ross got hurt as he really seemed to be an emerging star. All-Star in 2014 and Baseball Reference has him as a 3.5 WAR player in 2015. Injury pretty much ruined the next two seasons. Fastball velocity is down from where it was at his prime but it looks like he's learned to live without it. This year he has a 3.67 ERA at home and a 3.24 ERA on the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 1:18 PM Post
In his latest piece in the Athletic, Rosenthal says Brewers could use a starter, reliever, second basemen or catcher --- the proceeded to mull the idea of a Whit Merrfield/Kelvin Herrera package from the Royals.

That'd probably be a hefty to price pay, but the idea is there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 1:53 PM Post
Sounds like Rosenthal is about as out of touch as the rest of the media that ignore Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: How agressive will Stearns be at the deadline?

Posted: June 12, 2018, 3:42 PM Post
I'm intrigued what kind of prices they could haul in for bullpen pieces like Knebel, Barnes, and Jeffress given how much of a seller's market it is going to be and how much pen arms are worth at the deadline, if they sold.

By the way, I know they shouldn't and won't. Plus at some point you have to stop treating Jeffress that way, it's getting a little crazy. I'm just curious from a hypothetical standpoint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 9:27 PM Post
bloena12 said:
In his latest piece in the Athletic, Rosenthal says Brewers could use a starter, reliever, second basemen or catcher --- the proceeded to mull the idea of a Whit Merrfield/Kelvin Herrera package from the Royals.

I mean it would be nice to have Herrera in the bullpen, but why would we use trade capital for a high-end RP when we have one of the best bullpens in baseball and lots of needs elsewhere??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 9:33 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
paul253 said:
I don’t really see the point of adding yet another mid to back end starter. That’s all this team really has. I’d rather see them go big or go with what they have, rotation wise.

Exactly ... they aren't going to add another crap #3-4 starter like Ross or Straily because it's redundant. If they needed that, they'd just hand the ball to Woodruff or Burnes or any other of 4-5 guys they have in the system.

No, if they make a move for a starting pitcher, it's going to be someone big. And it's going to cost a lot.

I wouldn't call Ross "crap" and in fact he's a perfect target for us. He has the upside of a legit #2 but he should be affordable given that his recent injury history is still deflating his value. Do people not remember how good Ross was from 2013-15 before his injuries? He's looking like the same pitcher again, with strong peripherals all over.

I bet Ross will be significantly cheaper than a name brand guy like Cole Hamels, despite being a better pitcher at this point.

Nelson-Ross could be a legitimate playoff 1-2, and if Chase Anderson starts pitching well again, we'd really be cooking with gas then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 9:37 PM Post
Guerra overlooked again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 9:41 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Guerra overlooked again.

Not overlooking Guerra at all, but if Anderson starts pitching like 2017 Anderson again, the way he looked tonight against the Cubs, I think Guerra is the #4 in that rotation (which would be great news for us)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2018, 10:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't see Stearns overpaying for any player or position - but will instead keep his eyes and ears open, look for depth and upgrades, but only make moves if he really sees the value.

Again, it all comes down to value. If the opportunity is there - then he will look to make a move. In the end, that means nothing could happen - or a lot could happen. It just depends on the market.

As a general rule, I think that quality starters and relievers will be hard to find since they usually fetch a high return at the deadline. Position players are usually a little different. Sometimes - but not always - a very good player can be had for a low price (example: JD Martinez last year).

So, Stearns will watch the market, and make moves if the value is there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 12:32 AM Post
Last year the Brewers had a pretty decent shot at making the playoffs, up 5 1/2 games at the break. Stearns more or less stood pat and the Brewers eventually fell out of contention. This year the team is even better but still has a few glaring weaknesses. If they stand pat again and miss the playoffs again I kind of wonder if Stearns is being too passive. I understand the need not to empty out the system completely but at some point you need to fill your holes with talented players and not just depth.

I hope he makes a serious run at either Degrom or Syndergaard because I think that would help us out the most.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: How agressive will Stearns be at the deadline?

Posted: June 13, 2018, 1:15 AM Post
paul253 said:
Last year the Brewers had a pretty decent shot at making the playoffs, up 5 1/2 games at the break. Stearns more or less stood pat and the Brewers eventually fell out of contention. This year the team is even better but still has a few glaring weaknesses. If they stand pat again and miss the playoffs again I kind of wonder if Stearns is being too passive. I understand the need not to empty out the system completely but at some point you need to fill your holes with talented players and not just depth.

I hope he makes a serious run at either Degrom or Syndergaard because I think that would help us out the most.

I still think you are vastly underestimating the kind of market that these guys would initiate if made available. We can't just throw Hiura, Burnes, and Peralta at the Mets and call it a day. The Braves could dangle Acuna out there. The Nationals could dangle Robles or Soto out there. The Phillies could center something around Sanchez. These are elite prospects, and maybe we could get lucky with those all being NL East teams and maybe the Mets would be hesitant to deal in the division, but there are other teams that could beat our offer, and the only way to one up them would be to offer up Hader which just isn't helpful.

I don't think the Mets are serious about dealing Syndergaard at all. Degrom, maybe, but even that they don't need to do it unless someone meets their price. They'll need to be blown away. It'll take a Quintana package, not a Sonny Gray package. So since we don't have an Eloy Jimenez quality prospect, you're probably talking Hiura + Burnes + Peralta + Ray to get it done. It's a farm gutting move. It would have to be.

I don't think Stearns was too passive at the deadline. He dealt for Walker, he dealt for Swarzak, and these were helpful moves. He set his price point for Quintana and Sonny Gray, and didn't panic when the bidding got too high. And thank goodness he didn't, because I'd like this roster a whole lot less with Sonny Gray on it and Christian Yelich off it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 1:26 AM Post
I still think you are vastly underestimating the kind of market that these guys would initiate if made available

I’m not. I’m just saying I hope we make a move for them if they’re available as opposed to settling for “depth”. If we don’t have enough we don’t have enough. Doesn’t mean we can’t try.

So since we don't have an Eloy Jimenez quality prospect, you're probably talking Hiura + Burnes + Peralta + Ray to get it done. It's a farm gutting move. It would have to be

That’s probably a move I’d make. The outfield is set for years to come with so Ray is definitely expendable. Hiura would hurt but even moving Burnes and Peralta wouldn’t kill us as we would still have some decent prospects in Ortiz, Zach Brown, Woodruff, etc. Degrom gives you something you haven’t since Zack Greinke.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 7:07 AM Post
Don't forget we have a lot of "depth pieces" in the minors. I'm not saying they will get us one of the Mets SP, but we might be able to get Hamels or JA Happ for 3 or 4 depth pieces. We are probably going to lose some to the Rule 5 draft next year anyway. Might as well get something for them.

Something like Phillips, Supak, Derby, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 8:02 AM Post
Why would the Mets trade one of their two reliable SP, both of whom are under control for 3+ years? They're not going into a rebuild.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 8:06 AM Post
paul253 said:

There was a pretty legitimate chance that we'd have missed the playoffs even after making a bigger move last year.

Get ready for minimal splash again this year.

Weaknesses:
Elite starting pitching - this is probably going to cost way too much. I'd take Tyson Ross, but it's basically a modest upgrade over someone like Davies for 5-6 innings.
2B - It's barely a weakness. I'm not even sure Lowrie is an upgrade.
SS - I doubt anything is gonna be available.
C - Maybe Realmuto but I think it's gonna cost too much again.

I understand the idea of never making a move and saying "we need to save up for the next 3-5 years" and then never making the playoffs...but I think there is way way higher of a chance than you think that we empty out our farm system, miss the playoffs last year and this year, and are back at square 1 if you're running things.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 5:14 PM Post
Saw an Angels scout at the game today, so I think it's safe to say that Stearns is going to be ultra-aggressive and trade Braun for Mike Trout +

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 5:29 PM Post
The more I think about it the more I seriously wonder if Hiura would be an option later on in the season. You could shift Villar to SS. I realize the defense would suffer mightily but Arcia has been absolutely horrible at the plate this year. Even if Hiura only hits .250-.260ish it’s still be a pretty significant upgrade offensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 5:58 PM Post
paul253 said:
The more I think about it the more I seriously wonder if Hiura would be an option later on in the season. You could shift Villar to SS. I realize the defense would suffer mightily but Arcia has been absolutely horrible at the plate this year. Even if Hiura only hits .250-.260ish it’s still be a pretty significant upgrade offensively.

Hiura is currently annihilating AA pitching to the tune of a .400 OBP. So IMHO, yes if he continues this the next 6-7 weeks. And what is scary about these numbers is that he is not even walking much. If he can up the walk rate just a tad his stats would be video game esque.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2018, 6:24 PM Post
SRB said:
bloena12 said:

I mean it would be nice to have Herrera in the bullpen, but why would we use trade capital for a high-end RP when we have one of the best bullpens in baseball and lots of needs elsewhere??

If the reliever was another high-end lefty I would be all for it. Having another big-time lefty in the pen would give the Brewers the flexibility to use Hader as an "opener" later in the season. And if they could pick up a quality lefty with control past this season, then it makes it that much easier to move Hader into the rotation starting next season if that's something they are thinking about.

If I'm in Stearns chair and call the Padres about Ross, and they insist on Hiura, then I throw out Ross and Hand and see where that leads. If Knebel gets on track, having him plus Hader plus Jeffress plus Hand would just be flat out wicked. Ross would likely just serve as a rental, but Hand would be under team control through 2021.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply