LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Whit Merrifield

Offline  Re: Whit Merrifield

Posted: July 23, 2018, 12:37 PM Post
That might be the plan. In fact with Machado gone, the only significant impact moves are to acquire an ace, assuming Hiura can be key piece, and then upgrading with a 2-3 year better than average starter at a position of need. Gives them a shot at having a starter to win a Wild Card play in game this year and upgrades the team for next 2-3 years.

One note, Danny Duffy has been on a real nice run. He's allowed no runs in 3 of his last 5 starts, and 4 of his last 7, and one run in another. Is he a genuine Ace? Maybe not, but since May 24, he's been terrific.

Duffy/Merrifield as a combo?[/quote]

Duffy scares me. Inconsistent seems to be his M.O. - And hes expensive as well. I know 14 mil this year but isn't he signed for 3 more years? Or is it 3 total? I suppose if he and Merrifield came together that would be ok, might soften the cost blow if you combined the two... Probably get away with offering a Woodruff, Broxton/Phillips, Ray, Brown, and some lower guys as well.... But that might be too much from our end even though it would be "fair".[/quote]

Just looked and Duffy is 3 more years after this one at about 15 year. So basically a 3/46 contract. After the bad start he's been good lately. Has clear talent and ability to go deeper in games, which we need of course. Get him with our really good pitching coach and I'd think there's a good chance you can get some good production out of him and hopefully more consistency. Maybe that contract reduces the prospect price significantly so KC can save money thus making him a cheaper (prospects-wise) alternative to Archer. If they have a crazy ask though, of course just move on but seems logical to kick the tires on him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2018, 12:57 PM Post
adambr2 said:
For those who think Whit would be cheap:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/ ... einen.html

"An executive" had suggested it would take a headliner of a top 10-15 MLB prospect, plus two good prospects upcoming in the Rule 5 crunch, to get it done.

Now obviously, we aren't making that deal, but no, a couple prospects in the organizational 11-20 range isn't going to cut it.

A high value, because they can. Hard pass, this guy just isn't that good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2018, 1:51 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:

"An executive" had suggested it would take a headliner of a top 10-15 MLB prospect, plus two good prospects upcoming in the Rule 5 crunch, to get it done.

Now obviously, we aren't making that deal, but no, a couple prospects in the organizational 11-20 range isn't going to cut it.

I certainly wouldn’t pay a big price for him but if you think Yelich is a star, then I’d think you’d feel the same way about Merrifield.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2018, 2:00 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:

I certainly wouldn’t pay a big price for him but if you think Yelich is a star, then I’d think you’d feel the same way about Merrifield.

Hmm, where to begin. Yelich is 26 while Merrifield is 29, so while Yelich still has a tick of upside and hasn't yet hit his physical peak...Merrifield is on the way down. Yelich is better in every way except SB/speed. Merrifield has 10 hr power, his speed is a big reason for his success and that's going to start to go quickly. I don't think Merrifield will be a good player in 2020. He'll probably be a utility player at that point.

I think Merrifield is a solid player right now, but I'm not giving up potential future stars for 2 years of a solid player and 2 expensive years of a utility player. That's a terrible deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 9:43 AM Post
According to Jon Heyman, Royals GM Dayton Moore says Merrifield "certainly won't be traded at the deadline".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 9:47 AM Post
So the Royals won’t trade Duffy or Merrifield, got it.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 9:51 AM Post
The Royals are not smart.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
Merrifield was always a weird deadline target. Sinking in prospect capital for a guy who is likely to be your lead utility man next year just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. A good utility man would be a huge asset to this team. If the Brewers had Zobrist instead of Perez I'd be stoked. I just don't think investing prospects for a utility man is the right way to go. Would rather just sign one in free agency or just live with a replacement level type guy like Perez.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 9:56 AM Post
I agree Long Ball

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 10:19 AM Post
long ball said:
Merrifield was always a weird deadline target. Sinking in prospect capital for a guy who is likely to be your lead utility man next year just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. A good utility man would be a huge asset to this team. If the Brewers had Zobrist instead of Perez I'd be stoked. I just don't think investing prospects for a utility man is the right way to go. Would rather just sign one in free agency or just live with a replacement level type guy like Perez.

Well if he's your everyday 2B that can spell in the OF at times while you get Miller a few reps at 2B (if you keep him around), a guy on pace for a 5 WAR this year is not a big acquisition?

Merrifield seems to have figured out the hard contact thing and I'm ready to call what he's doing sustainable. Granted, he's a bit of an older player to have just broken in seriously last year, but he could be pretty good for a few years. Yeah, he might be the super-utility guy when Hiura is ready.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
Why would white just be a utility guy here? He would start everyday at 2b

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 10:41 AM Post
I would assume Hiura becomes the primary second baseman at some point in 2019. So Merrifield is the primary second baseman for probably a month or so and then plays 4 days a week between the OF and second base.

Unless they acquire Merrifield and are able to include Hiura in a package for deGrom during the off season, but then you're still probably taking out 4 of your best 5 prospects for those 2 trades.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 1:00 PM Post
Oldcity said:
The Royals are not smart.

Yeah, the Royals are not going anywhere in 2019, so why retain him?

I assume he is a home grown player, so there is that.

He also is not eligible for arby until 2020. So he is an extremely cheap player. So I assume the Royals will try to milk another year before trading him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2018, 7:09 PM Post
Merrifield = "Untouchable"

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/ ... field.html

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 10:35 PM Post
Dangle a Ray/Davies/Williams centered package and you might get Royals attention.
I'd like to add Whit. Good right handed, contact bat, good avg, good speed. He can play multiple positions, especially nice when Hiura is deemed ready. He would be under control for four more years, right? I like the idea of trying to find a another solid long term piece. Seems like a good fit. Never sure what the Royals are looking for, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 11:32 PM Post
Not a single top 100 prospect? Doubt the Royals even stay on the line with an offer like that/

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 6:10 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Not a single top 100 prospect? Doubt the Royals even stay on the line with an offer like that/

That's not fair. There's no way Ray won't be ranked in the Top 100 the next time it comes out. None.

I do agree, though, that it would likely take more to get him. But no, the Royals won't hang up, because teams don't do that. This isn't Moneyball.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Whit Merrifield

Posted: October 27, 2018, 7:06 AM Post
The only way I think you could add Whit without Hiura is including one of Burnes/Peralta, adding Ray plus a pretty darn good 3rd prospect.

If you could get it done with Peralta+Ray+Erceg, I'd consider that to be realistic, but on the light side and fortunate to get it done without Hiura.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 7:27 AM Post
I hadn't checked Merrifield's number in a while, but wow, what a year he had. .367 OPB, .807 OPS, 45 steals, +18 DRS and Fangraphs baserunning component has him at a +7.4 Put up an .800+ OPS while only hitting 12 home runs. He was helped out by a MAYBE lucky .352 BABIP number (speed should always help this number), but on the flip side of the lucky coin, he only had a 6.5% HR/FB ratio (which will probably always tend on the low side for him).

Always have to have some doubts about late-bloomers but 2017 doesn't look like it was a fluke for Merrifield.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Whit Merrifield

Posted: October 27, 2018, 8:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
The only way I think you could add Whit without Hiura is including one of Burnes/Peralta, adding Ray plus a pretty darn good 3rd prospect.

If you could get it done with Peralta+Ray+Erceg, I'd consider that to be realistic, but on the light side and fortunate to get it done without Hiura.

I agree that acquiring him will require trading players of significant value. I believe too much in Hiura at this point to think that giving up good talent for Merrifield would be worth it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 130 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply