LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 117 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Whit Merrifield

Offline  Re: Whit Merrifield

Posted: October 27, 2018, 10:13 AM Post
Patience will win the day. If we want a long stretch of competing, then patience is required to let these young bucks get up and get established.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Whit Merrifield

Posted: October 27, 2018, 10:50 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Patience will win the day. If we want a long stretch of competing, then patience is required to let these young bucks get up and get established.

Yes, but....

Much of the foundation of this team was built on trading for controllable MLB players like Shaw and Yelich.

I'm not comparing Whit to them, just saying lf you think he can be the player he's been the last 2 years for the Royals for the next 4 in a Brewer uniform, there is certainly precedence for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 10:58 AM Post
I think Whit is going to be too expensive to be the right move at this time. But at the same time I think he's got everything that people have been saying we need for next year. He plays 2B, with the versatility to play all over the outfield and probably 3B too for when/if Hiura gets here. Good on base skills and doesn't strike out much. RHB with a career .888 OPS against lefties, Good defender and a very good base stealer. Oh, and has 4 years of team control remaining.

So while I think it's unlikely we can get him without giving up too much of our young pitching, it's definitely someone the team should check in on regularly. Perhaps some other minor league pitchers take a step forward and open up room to trade an arm or two. Perhaps the Royals really like some prospects that the Brewers aren't as high on. Perhaps something else happens that makes a deal possible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 11:35 AM Post
Yeah I mean Whit just might be a case of a year too late. It's been nice to get these guys before they break out (Shaw) or before they really become huge. (Yelich).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 2:41 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:

Yes, but....

Much of the foundation of this team was built on trading for controllable MLB players like Shaw and Yelich.

I'm not comparing Whit to them, just saying lf you think he can be the player he's been the last 2 years for the Royals for the next 4 in a Brewer uniform, there is certainly precedence for it.

If it includes Hiura, they’re idiots. Purely simple.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 2:48 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
That's not fair. There's no way Ray won't be ranked in the Top 100 the next time it comes out. None.

I would strongly bet against him being ranked in the top 100.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 3:59 PM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:

Yes, but....

If it includes Hiura, they’re idiots. Purely simple.

I think regardless of what they do, the current regime has proven that they are not idiots.

I'm not saying they will or should include Hiura on anything. But I am saying I would trust thelr judgment completely.

I think a year ago the idea of trading Brinson as one piece for Yelich would have been a pretty silly concept to most. Brinson was our CF of the future and the only way he was being traded was for controllable pitching.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 4:16 PM Post
i am keeping Hiura instead of whit

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 4:49 PM Post
Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson. And yes, they’d be considered idiots to me to move on a player of his hitting ability when that is exactly what they lack through their system and at a position of need.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 4:58 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson.

They were pretty similar in prospect ranking and trade value, however. Very similar, actually. And I'd say Hiura definitely has some red flags of injury as well.

Again I am not saying they should trade Hiura for Merrifield, or even trade Hiura at all. I love Hiura. But I like to think that this FO always keeps every door open. For all we know their feeling after 2018 is that Hiura is a DH only in the future who will require TJ at some point and they'd prefer to trade him high. They are a lot better able to evaluate these guys in depth. We just don't know.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 5:05 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:
Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson.

They were pretty similar in prospect ranking and trade value, however. Very similar, actually. And I'd say Hiura definitely has some red flags of injury as well.

Again I am not saying they should trade Hiura for Merrifield, or even trade Hiura at all. I love Hiura. But I like to think that this FO always keeps every door open. For all we know their feeling after 2018 is that Hiura is a DH only in the future who will require TJ at some point and they'd prefer to trade him high. They are a lot better able to evaluate these guys in depth. We just don't know.

Prospect rankings mean very little to me as they’ve been so unreliable in so many ways. Watch Hiura hit and watch Brinson hit. It’s not close.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 9:34 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brinson and Hiura aren’t even in the same world as hitters and the red flags of injury were well documented with Brinson. And yes, they’d be considered idiots to me to move on a player of his hitting ability when that is exactly what they lack through their system and at a position of need.

I hope you are right and he's our 2B for years to come.

Yet.....
Hiura hit .272 with 6 HR at AA in 73 games. What makes you so confident that he can hit well in the majors? As minor league hitting prospects, they are in the same world as another has noted with rankings, if not with milb stats, where Brinson has the edge. Brinson would have the edge with defense, as well, until Hiura proves himsellf at 2B.

I'm pumping the brakes until Hiura show me a good 2019 at AA or AAA. You may be right with him, but I need to see more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 9:51 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Brew4U said:

Yet.....
Hiura hit .272 with 6 HR at AA in 73 games. What makes you so confident that he can hit well in the majors? As minor league hitting prospects, they are in the same world as another has noted with rankings, if not with milb stats, where Brinson has the edge. Brinson would have the edge with defense, as well, until Hiura proves himsellf at 2B.

I'm pumping the brakes until Hiura show me a good 2019 at AA or AAA. You may be right with him, but I need to see more.

That .272 is 30 points better than the league average. And would have put him in the top ten of batters in that league. But to answer your question is that it is the way the ball jumps off his bat. I remember the sound even in spring training games. It’s just different. He’s going to hit. Hopefully it will be in Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2018, 10:16 PM Post
Yes I hope he playing Second for us

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 11:45 AM Post
Brew4U said:
rickh150 said:
Brew4U said:

Yet.....

That .272 is 30 points better than the league average. And would have put him in the top ten of batters in that league. But to answer your question is that it is the way the ball jumps off his bat. I remember the sound even in spring training games. It’s just different. He’s going to hit. Hopefully it will be in Milwaukee.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you on Hiura. I love the guy, think he is going to have a very special bat at a position we need. He's destroying the AFL right now. He's about ready, at least bat-wise.

I just have a ton of faith in Stearns where even if I didn't agree if they moved Hiura, I'd be thinking, "They HAVE to know something we don't." . That's all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 12:10 PM Post
adambr2 said:

For what it's worth, I do agree with you on Hiura. I love the guy, think he is going to have a very special bat at a position we need. He's destroying the AFL right now. He's about ready, at least bat-wise.

I just have a ton of faith in Stearns where even if I didn't agree if they moved Hiura, I'd be thinking, "They HAVE to know something we don't." . That's all.

I have a ton of faith too but so far Stearns has been terrible at judging the second base position. So that lessens my faith a bit since they have been so dead wrong in just about every move they’ve made there. But like you said, if they sold high on Hiura it probably would be for a reason we are not privy too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 12:25 PM Post
They can trade Huira but Merrifield would be a disappointing return. If you trade Huira it should be a starting pitcher not a 30 year old 2b

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 1:23 PM Post
Getting Whit and then having his versatility for four years..... that would be Stearnslike.
If Hiura has a special bat in the bigs, Merrifield would take over Perez's role.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 8:39 PM Post
I'm a bit surprised we are still on Whit. The price sounds prohibitive, and he's not as good as someone like yelich where you can justify the package. Yelich was a blue-chip prospect when he came up and was 26 at time of acquisition while Merrifield will be 30 and a large part of what makes him a good player is speed...which will only diminish with time. 2 years from now he's likely to be a 280 hitter with minimal power that can steal 20 bases on weak catchers and play solid D. Basically he's what we wish Hernan Perez would have become. Hiura/Burnes/Peralta are all off limits and all probably more valuable than Whit. Peralta is the only one that's even close but no way would I give up the pitching for him. I'd have Peralta headline a package for Realmuto before Whit.

All of Burnes/Peralta/Woodruff had their values skyrocket with their success on such a big stage. I would actually argue that Burnes has more value than Hiura at this point and would be our number 1 prospect if eligible. Young, controllable pitching is king.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 29, 2018, 5:52 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
That's not fair. There's no way Ray won't be ranked in the Top 100 the next time it comes out. None.

I would strongly bet against him being ranked in the top 100.

He may be towards the bottom. Power and speed will be intriguing. His average defense and his low hit tool will mean he won’t be a MLB regular.

I hope he is ranked because I’d classify him as a sell high candidate for a more useful asset.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 117 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply