LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Now thoughts on the waiver trade deadline

Offline  Re: Now thoughts on the waiver trade deadline

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:12 AM Post
Remind me how this works again. I'm not understanding why the player would have to have a huge contract. I thought a team could expose a player on waivers, but call him back if they didn't want to trade him to a certain team.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I recall stories where teams worked out a trade, but another team claimed the player earlier so the selling team took him back off waivers. Under that scenario, couldn't they potentially work out a trade for virtually any player out there? (Admitedly, this is a blind spot for me- I never remember how this process works.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:42 AM Post
Agree with others that it may be difficult to get a pitcher through waivers to the Brewers.

Thinking there is a slim chance we get Matt Harvey though....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:46 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Remind me how this works again. I'm not understanding why the player would have to have a huge contract. I thought a team could expose a player on waivers, but call him back if they didn't want to trade him to a certain team.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I recall stories where teams worked out a trade, but another team claimed the player earlier so the selling team took him back off waivers. Under that scenario, couldn't they potentially work out a trade for virtually any player out there? (Admitedly, this is a blind spot for me- I never remember how this process works.)

From what I understand - and in the simplest way:

Player A placed on waivers.

Teams have 2 days to place a claim.

If one team claims Player A, that is the team that the player's team can deal with, let the player go to, or pull back.

If Player A clears with no claims, Player A can be dealt to ANY MLB team with no restrictions.

If multiple teams claim Player A, the team with the lowest record in that league would get first crack, followed by the lowest in the opposite league. (the league the player is in gets "first priority")

Player A's team has 3 choices - pull player back, work out a deal with the worst record claim (or anyone if nobody claims), or just let the player go and all salary goes with the player to the claiming team

Hope that makes some sense. I think I have it correct lol.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:48 AM Post
Here's how it works. Teams place players on waiver wire. If nobody claims him, he'll have cleared waivers and can be traded to any other team.

For guys getting claimed, the priority of the claims is based on the reverse order of the standings. Once claimed, there's a 48 period for the two teams to work out a deal. If no deal can be worked out in most cases the team will withdraw him from waivers. There other option is to simply let the player go for the waiver price to the claiming team.

Once a player has been withdrawn once from waivers, he cannot be put through revocable waivers again this season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
The reason they have to be bad contracts is because the Brewers need to get them to clear entirely to be able to negotiate. No team wants to risk putting in a claim on a guy like Zimmerman because of the likelihood that the Tigers would just let him go and the claiming team would let the Tigers off the hook for his remaining $50 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 8:11 AM Post
Thanks for the help guys, that's about what I thought. So I guess I don't see the downside in working out a deal with Wheeler, Gonzalez, or anyone else? If someone else claims them, the seller can just pull them back.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Now thoughts on the waiver trade deadline

Posted: August 01, 2018, 8:17 AM Post
I remember a few years ago, the waiver wire kind of came back to bite the White Sox with Alex Rios - oftentimes teams with waiver priority based on prior year's record put out claims on players to try and block some of their competition from potentially acquiring them. However, the team placing a player on waivers could simply give the team putting in the claim the player and remaining contract to just get out from under the $.

The White Sox put a claim on Rios in effort to prevent him clearing waivers and being dealt to the Tigers back in 2009, IIRC - Toronto simply gave the White Sox Rios without any prospects/compensation in return for getting out from ~$60 Million in remaining salary.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:35 AM Post
lol at Max Scherzer clearing waivers. He'd be claimed by at least half the teams in the league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:39 AM Post
StearnsFTW said:
lol at Max Scherzer clearing waivers. He'd be claimed by at least half the teams in the league.

Some may, but his contract was built to spike massively in AAV for the final 3 seasons (35+ million/year) with money getting deferred from that for many years after it.

He's pretty much on a 3 year, $110 million deal and as it is currently written, a lot of the money is deferred.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:45 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
StearnsFTW said:

Some may, but his contract was built to spike massively in AAV for the final 3 seasons (35+ million/year) with money getting deferred from that for many years after it.

He's pretty much on a 3 year, $110 million deal and as it is currently written, a lot of the money is deferred.

That's a lot of money. The Brewers for example won't claim him. Many teams actually probably won't considering the luxury tax cap. I would think at least one team will though, and if so it might not be the worst idea to let him walk if they struggle over the next few weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:46 AM Post
I can't see dealing for Scherzer if he does clear, but the Brewers in my mind would be on the shorter list of teams that could actually risk putting a claim in. Though with holding onto Harper it does not seem like the Nats are inclined to just let him go, but that deal does have a lot of money going towards a pitcher in who'll be aged 35-37.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:59 AM Post
Stearns is awesome are my thoughts on the trade deadline. Factor in what happened in the off season and I'm over the moon overjoyed with Stearns.

Stearns isn't Ted Thompson where he has a one track mind in how to build a team. Stearns isn't Doug Melvin (with Mark A in his ear) willing to trade the farm at the first sign of being competitive.

Stearns is looking for value. He's not going to overpay, he'll simply lay back and wait and let the market develop and will strike when a value deal presents itself. Now hopefully in a season or two when Brewers are little bit better he's more willing to go a bit bolder, but I don't see any reason not to have faith in Stearns.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:00 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
StearnsFTW said:

Yep. And he's the best pitcher in baseball. Top 3 anyway. Every large market team claims him and some middle market teams too I would think. No doubt in my mind that the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Angels claim him. I think the Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Mariners would all be likely. Diamondbacks, Braves, Indians could.

Half may be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
As several people have noted, the club will monitor some of the overpriced pitchers on the market, such as Jordan Zimmerman, and once they have cleared waivers, look to make moves as needed.

A lot will depend on injuries, as well as the progress of Peralta, plus the status of Davies. Freddy has been pretty erratic, and if he continues to struggle with his command, they might decide to bring someone in to take his spot. But some of that could be mitigated if Davies comes back. But I'm not counting on the latter at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:40 AM Post
StearnsFTW said:
bill hAll Star said:
StearnsFTW said:

Yep. And he's the best pitcher in baseball. Top 3 anyway. Every large market team claims him and some middle market teams too I would think. No doubt in my mind that the Dodgers, Cubs, Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and Angels claim him. I think the Giants, Cardinals, Astros, Mariners would all be likely. Diamondbacks, Braves, Indians could.

Half may be an exaggeration, but not much of one.

A lot of those teams don't want to go over the luxury tax mark this year. Maybe they'd make an exception for this, but teams like the Giants might pass because they're going to get taxed 40% on his already huge contract for at least a year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 1:16 PM Post
After seeing some positive starts from Zimmermann lately I thought he would be a great fit for the Brewers. I googled the idea and ran across an article from Bless You Boys and changed my mind.

Cliff Notes:
Zimmermann is owed approximately $60 million over the course of the next 2 and 1/3 years. He has a chronic neck issue that requires injections and was on the DL this year with a shoulder issue. And his velocity has decreased this year. Hard Pass.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2018/7/6/1 ... -happening

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 1:35 PM Post
positive stats from Zimmerman lately?

I beg to differ.

He's been horrible lately.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Now thoughts on the waiver trade deadline

I really don't see why Woodruff shouldn't be able to do what most of these types of folks can give us

Quote   Reply 

positive stats from Zimmerman lately?

I beg to differ.

He's been horrible lately.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2018, 1:47 PM Post
If Zimmerman wasn’t from Wisconsin would he even be brought up? He is overpaid and not good.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply