LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Michael Trout - What would you give up?

Author Message
Offline  Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#1

Posted: July 31, 2018, 11:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2942
Just curious what some folks value in prospects. What would you give up to acquire Michael Trout? Never mind his salary or the fact that he's not available. Just in pure talent, if the Angels were to have been selling in July of 2018? (they are not).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#2

Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:18 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4951
Location: Three Lakes, WI
What would I give up, or what it would realistically take? The ask probably starts with Hiura, Burnes and Ray, and you'd probably have to add Hader too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#3

Posted: August 01, 2018, 6:51 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9205
I am still sick that MLB thought losing texiera was worth the higher pick than losing CC and costing us drafting Trout.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#4

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:29 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8663
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
What would I give up, or what it would realistically take? The ask probably starts with Hiura, Burnes and Ray, and you'd probably have to add Hader too.


Not even close.

We'd have to empty the farm and probably give up some guys off the roster as well.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#5

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:35 AM Post
Posts: 3458
Trout currently has a 7.9 WAR, 30 HR's, a .461 OBP. Lord knows how many HR's he'd hit in Miller Park. Suffice it to say "a lot". He'd be under contract in 2019 & 2020 too, before becoming a free agent after the 2020 season.

I'd think the Angels would insist on Yelich as part of the package, and Hader.

If I could get Trout without trading any of our current MLB players I wouldn't care which prospects we give up. Burnes, Hiura, Ray, even Peralta.... Bye bye

I would also trade Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Burnes for Trout.

He is that good.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#6

Posted: August 01, 2018, 7:53 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7857
Nothing. The prospects lost would not be worth the upgrade. Trading for Trout would pretty much kill this franchise for the next 10 years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#7

Posted: August 01, 2018, 8:01 AM Post
Posts: 3466
Location: Madison, WI
He is that good but he's gone after two years. There is literally no way we can afford his next contract. Sure would be cool while it lasted but if you don't win the WS in those two years you're done for the next 6 years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#8

Posted: August 01, 2018, 8:10 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9065
Sad he's stuck on a meh team. He is probably underrated believe it or not. Might be the best player ever. Could certainly make an argument.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#9

Posted: August 01, 2018, 8:34 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1106
homer said:
Sad he's stuck on a meh team. He is probably underrated believe it or not. Might be the best player ever. Could certainly make an argument.


Yep. Even while he's regarded as the best in baseball, I don't think we really hear enough about him. He's something ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how he ages. I hope it's not a fall off the cliff type of thing for him because we are in for something special if he can keep his body together.

He's also a great example that one player can't make a team. Honestly, if I'm the Angels I think about trading him in the off season.

What would it take? Aguilar, Hader, Burnes, Arcia and Hiura.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#10

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:15 AM Post
Posts: 305
3and2Fastball said:
Trout currently has a 7.9 WAR, 30 HR's, a .461 OBP. Lord knows how many HR's he'd hit in Miller Park. Suffice it to say "a lot". He'd be under contract in 2019 & 2020 too, before becoming a free agent after the 2020 season.

I'd think the Angels would insist on Yelich as part of the package, and Hader.

If I could get Trout without trading any of our current MLB players I wouldn't care which prospects we give up. Burnes, Hiura, Ray, even Peralta.... Bye bye

I would also trade Yelich, Hader, Hiura & Burnes for Trout.

He is that good.

I think you're probably right. Yelich and Hader + 1 or 2 of the best prospects.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#11

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:34 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1724
Yep. Even while he's regarded as the best in baseball, I don't think we really hear enough about him. He's something ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how he ages. I hope it's not a fall off the cliff type of thing for him because we are in for something special if he can keep his body together.

This is almost the only proof you need of the huge east coast media bias. Trout has run circles around every other player including the much heralded, but far inferior Bryce Harper, but we are constantly hearing about Judge, Harper, and Stanton, while the greatest player ever is an afterthought... Yes, barring an injury, when Trout hangs them up he will be universally regarded as the greatest baseball player ever to have played the game... enjoy him now...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#12

Posted: August 01, 2018, 9:54 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 520
First step in trading for Trout is taking on Pujols albatross of a contract. If the Angels become confident that Trout want to go to Philadelphia or somewhere else when his contract end I think then I think them using Trout to shed Pujols contract makes sense. So lets just say that it's this offseason that they do it, that means the first step to acquiring Trout for 2 seasons would be taking on about $85 million in dead money.

After taking on that money then I think you are going to still have to trade them a package on par with the Yelich deal, perhaps with Major League talent to appease the fan base.

Trout and Pujols

for

Travis Shaw, Josh Hader, Keston Hiura, Corey Ray

Thats my thoughts on what a reasonable deal to entice the Angels to trade Trout would be. This would allow the Angels to add a bunch of youth and free up enough money that they could give out $400 million deals to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. Then in 3 years they can start worrying about how to get rid of those overpriced deals.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#13

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:21 AM Post
Posts: 46
brewmann04 said:
I am still sick that MLB thought losing texiera was worth the higher pick than losing CC and costing us drafting Trout.



The one thing that sucks even more is that Trout wasn't even going to be our pick if we were there or if he would've dropped.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#14

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:22 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10805
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#15

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:45 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 123
Brew4U said:
I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.


I really hope this should have been in blue.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#16

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10805
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Surhoff5 said:
Brew4U said:
I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.


I really hope this should have been in blue.


I didn’t think it would even need to be. I call it my Skip Bayless post on Trout.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#17

Posted: August 01, 2018, 10:58 AM Post
Posts: 15505
I don't like using blue, in my experience I've found that using the blue font makes it feel....I don't know, less sarcasticy, you know? [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#18

Posted: August 01, 2018, 11:20 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 123
Brew4U said:
Surhoff5 said:
Brew4U said:
I wouldn’t trade anything. Obviously he’s just not a winner. I mean look at his ball clubs since entering the league. Heck, even as the greatest player of all time he can’t even market himself to people know who he actually is.


I really hope this should have been in blue.


I didn’t think it would even need to be. I call it my Skip Bayless post on Trout.


Well done sir, that was the perfect Skip Bayless and precisely something he would say.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#19

Posted: August 01, 2018, 3:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7857
xisxisxis said:
Yep. Even while he's regarded as the best in baseball, I don't think we really hear enough about him. He's something ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how he ages. I hope it's not a fall off the cliff type of thing for him because we are in for something special if he can keep his body together.

This is almost the only proof you need of the huge east coast media bias. Trout has run circles around every other player including the much heralded, but far inferior Bryce Harper, but we are constantly hearing about Judge, Harper, and Stanton, while the greatest player ever is an afterthought... Yes, barring an injury, when Trout hangs them up he will be universally regarded as the greatest baseball player ever to have played the game... enjoy him now...


Most of it is that Trout has decided he doesn't want the notoriety. Rob Manfred basically called him out on it during the All Star game and Trout told him to mind his own business.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Michael Trout - What would you give up?
#20

Posted: August 01, 2018, 5:38 PM Post
Posts: 1284
Baseball is not about superstars except maybe when it comes to having aces in the playoffs. Look how the Mariners won 116 games after losing Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, and Alex Rodriguez in the span of a few years. Having elite players try to compensate for bad players is not as good as having all good players.

That said, of course I would give up a lot if it didn't create too many gaping holes in the current roster. But Cain and Yelich are already 2 of the best outfielders in the entire National League, and the Brewers have a strong chance at having the best cumulative record in the NL over the next 5 years... so why mortgage what it would take to get Trout?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Harvey'sWBs, long ball, madtownhawk, monty57, RollieTime, The Beat Goes On, Zad Fnark and 8 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test