LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 136 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Free Agent Starting Pitchers for 2019

Online  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers for 2019

Posted: October 05, 2018, 1:20 PM Post
Ten man rotation?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Free Agent Starting Pitchers for 2019

Posted: October 06, 2018, 3:50 PM Post
This has been said by others but if we go after a starting pitcher next off-season I think it will be via trade. How many guys out there really are that much more better than what we have?
If you want injured pitchers hoping to rebound we have probably the most exciting option in Nelson and then have Davies as well.
If you want buy low guys coming off a down year we have Anderson maybe one of the best of the bunch out there.
Young guys dont hit free agency but we have Peralta, Burnes, and Woodruff who are more exciting than most of the names on that list and a lot cheaper.
That is 6 pitchers right there and obviously we still have Chacin. I could easily see Miley back on a friendly deal.

I would not be shocked if we traded from depth and included one of the of the young guys in the deal. I dont know the market for starting pitching. Maybe that is a new thread

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2018, 10:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
CC Sabathia and Bartolo Colon. Getting the best price per pound!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2018, 12:48 PM Post
Sign CC if he comes cheap.
Nelson
Chacin
Burnes
CC
Peralta/Anderson/Davies

Woodruff has the Burnes role in the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2018, 7:09 PM Post
Really... re-sign one of Gio/Miley and get Kikuchi.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2018, 10:13 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Ten man rotation?

Maybe eight man rotation?

1.Chacin
2.Kikuchi (5/???)
3.Miley (2/12)/Burnes
4.Gio (1/6)/Woodruff
5.Nelson/Peralta

Pen (6 off these stay)

Jennings
Cedeno
Lyles
Barnes
T.Williams
Guerra
Jeffress
Hader
Knebel

Trade Anderson and Davies (and Albers if you can get anything for him) for A+ or AA pitching prospects
Let Soria go (cost cut).

Z. Brown, Derby, Hauser Diplon, Supak, Ponce at AAA

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2018, 2:13 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
Brew4U said:
Ten man rotation?

1.Chacin
2.Kikuchi (5/???)
3.Miley (2/12)/Burnes
4.Gio (1/6)/Woodruff
5.Nelson/Peralta

Pen (6 off these stay)

Jennings
Cedeno
Lyles
Barnes
T.Williams
Guerra
Jeffress
Hader
Knebel

Trade Anderson and Davies (and Albers if you can get anything for him) for A+ or AA pitching prospects
Let Soria go (cost cut).

If Miley and Gio sign for that little, I will start my own Eat Crow Thread.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2018, 2:37 PM Post
I'm not super stoked about signing anybody of that group. I think there are plenty of internal options.

Chacin- under contract and been mostly effective
Neslon- should be back- probably with an inning restriction I suppose
Anderson- current situation aside, I don't think you can just dismiss him
Burnes- might be the ace of the team next season
Peralta- should probably included as a candidate to start next year based on what he did this season
Woodruff- Seems like he's pretty much been forgotten about, maybe his future is in the bullpen too, but I still think he has the makings of a good starter

But, as they say you can't have too much pitching so sign me up for Morton. He's been effective, but not all that durable and doesn't have age on his side. I think that keeps the price reasonable for somebody who when healthy has been really good the last couple years.

Edit- completely forgot about Davies too

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2018, 6:50 PM Post
wallus said:
Mr Southpaw said:
Brew4U said:
Ten man rotation?

1.Chacin
2.Kikuchi (5/???)
3.Miley (2/12)/Burnes
4.Gio (1/6)/Woodruff
5.Nelson/Peralta

Pen (6 off these stay)

Jennings
Cedeno
Lyles
Barnes
T.Williams
Guerra
Jeffress
Hader
Knebel

Let Soria go (cost cut).

If Miley and Gio sign for that little, I will start my own Eat Crow Thread.

Neither will get $10 mill a year, maybe $8 mill a year. Maybe we get a home team discount! Any more than I would go elsewhere or use internal options.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2018, 7:13 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Not a starting pitcher, and relief pitchers are plenty unpredictable, but Blake Treinen is a player I would target in a trade. The A's tend to move players once they hit arbitration. Yes the Brewers' bullpen is already a strength, but I think MLB will continue to make bullpen usage a significant part of an overall pitching strategy (i.e. You can never have too many relief aces)

Adding Treinen to Hader, Knebel, Jeffress etc could potentially make the Brewers pitching staff better than most free agent starting pitcher acquisitions.

I could easily see this if Burnes and Woodruff are rotation bound/JNelson has a setback...restock the 'pen and move young, controllable talent to get more innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 10, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospec ... atal-flaw/

I saw this article and thought it made a lot of sense. I'm sure someone smarter than myself can figure out some players that might fit this criteria for next year, whether "initial outgetter" or RP.

If we have enough bats that can play multiple positions, you could even carry an extra pitcher. I really like what they have done with moving Shaw to 1st base and Arcia to SS as defensive moves at the end of the game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 10, 2018, 10:38 AM Post
CC looks done... Loved the guy, but I don't think he has anything to offer we don't already have.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 6:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
I am curious to see what kind of deal J.A. Happ ultimately signs. He was outstanding with the Yankees in the second half of the season (and good with Toronto in the first half). He is a lefty that has maintained a high strikeout rate. Less appealing is the fact that he turned 36 years old last week. He is originally from Illinois, and with it likely being his last MLB contract I could see a possibility that he would value finishing his career playing for a midwestern team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 6:58 AM Post
Mudville9 said:
http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2018/10/10/chase-andersons-fatal-flaw/

I saw this article and thought it made a lot of sense. I'm sure someone smarter than myself can figure out some players that might fit this criteria for next year, whether "initial outgetter" or RP.

If we have enough bats that can play multiple positions, you could even carry an extra pitcher. I really like what they have done with moving Shaw to 1st base and Arcia to SS as defensive moves at the end of the game.

One of the reasons I think Dubon could be a big part of the team next year. Between Dubon, Perez and Shaw, you have one guy who can play either corner OF, two guys who can play 3B, 1B, CF, and SS, and all 3 can play 2B. Really gives you the option of carrying extra pitchers or going bat heavy on the bench.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 1:25 PM Post
What type of deal will Eovaldi get this offseason? I know we were looking hard at him before the Sox beat us out at the deadline. I've got to imagine that he's made himself a little bit of money this year, right? Just seems like he'd be a perfect fit as an "out-getter" for the Brewers as one of those guys that could go through a lineup once or twice with a high level of success.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 8:57 AM Post
I wonder if free agent starters will think twice about coming to Milwaukee based on how we use them here?

If I am a top end guy used to throwing 7 innings or more if I am rolling, and I have an offer from a team that is known to use their starters for 5 innings if they are lucky, even if things are going well, I'd overlook offers from the Brewers.

I hope we don't get a bad rep with staring pitchers based on that, and miss out of guys because of it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:10 AM Post
turborickey said:
I wonder if free agent starters will think twice about coming to Milwaukee based on how we use them here?

If I am a top end guy used to throwing 7 innings or more if I am rolling, and I have an offer from a team that is known to use their starters for 5 innings if they are lucky, even if things are going well, I'd overlook offers from the Brewers.

I hope we don't get a bad rep with staring pitchers based on that, and miss out of guys because of it.

This exact same thought has crossed my mind as well. I still kind of think that the philosophy was born more because of a general a lack of available top-end starter types available to them, rather than a total shift in philosophy. The idea that we are going to regularly start piggybacking starters like we're running some sort of rookie league team because of a philosophical change sounds really far fetched to me. I'm guessing that if we were pitching the guys the Mets have in their rotation, those guys would be going 7 innings pretty regularly.

Still, if the offseason last year proved anything, its that Stearns isn't going to go out and pay the kind of bucks that the "top end guy used to throwing 7 innings" are demanding. Perhaps there are guys like Chacin and Miley out there who have that capability and can be acquired affordably, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:43 AM Post
It can work both ways. I mean the success we seen from Chacin and Miley should earn them some good money. If you are one of those types of pitchers, you may love the opportunity to work for Milwaukee. Now, if we get ourselves an "ace" (hate that term) that can go 7-innings, then I would assume CC and DS would change accordingly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2018, 11:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
If Nathan Eovaldi’s arm doesn’t fall off during the World Series he seems to be the free agent starting pitcher that has the potential to turn into a bonafide top of the rotation power arm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2018, 8:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
I found this Fangraphs article, Potential Pitch Mix Improvements for Free Agents (Part 1), to be interesting. It outlines which pitchers could most likely improve by adjusting their current pitch mix. I summarized the list of pitchers discussed below. Check out the article link for explanation of each pitcher’s possible area for improvement within their pitch usage.

Major Improvement Candidates
Jeremy Hellickson
Derek Holland
Garrett Richards
Matt Harvey

Some Improvement Possible
Jamie Garcia
Hyun-Jin Ryu
Chris Tillman
Nathan Eovaldi
Dallas Keuchel
Brett Anderson

No Improvement Here
Trevor Cahill
Patrick Corbin
Drew Pomeranz
Hector Santiago
Drew Hutchinson
Lance Lynn

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 136 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply