LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Offline  Re: Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Posted: October 24, 2018, 10:50 AM Post
If neither Miley or Gio are enticed back, the Brewers are going to have to bring in a lefty or two as initial out getters. They can't let 2 LHP walk and replace them with more RHP. I don't see the fit for Harvey or Gray unless there's a massive overhaul of the current controlled arms.

You've got Chacin, Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff, and Guerra all factoring into the 2019 group of initial out getters. They're all RHP. With the shift to piggybacking and tandem starts, you can be sure the Brewers are going to want to pair opposite-handed pitchers to dictate matchups. I have to believe Stearns wants at minimum two left handed pitchers added to the tandem mix. That's going to require some pretty significant maneuvering. Gonna be a fun and interesting offseason.

As an aside, the need to find 2 LHPs whether from outside the organization or by resigning Miley/Gio, provides all the more reason not to expect Schoop or Moustakas to be brought back at their current pricetags.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2018, 11:27 AM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
If neither Miley or Gio are enticed back, the Brewers are going to have to bring in a lefty or two as initial out getters. They can't let 2 LHP walk and replace them with more RHP. I don't see the fit for Harvey or Gray unless there's a massive overhaul of the current controlled arms.

You've got Chacin, Nelson, Anderson, Davies, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff, and Guerra all factoring into the 2019 group of initial out getters. They're all RHP. With the shift to piggybacking and tandem starts, you can be sure the Brewers are going to want to pair opposite-handed pitchers to dictate matchups. I have to believe Stearns wants at minimum two left handed pitchers added to the tandem mix. That's going to require some pretty significant maneuvering. Gonna be a fun and interesting offseason.

As an aside, the need to find 2 LHPs whether from outside the organization or by resigning Miley/Gio, provides all the more reason not to expect Schoop or Moustakas to be brought back at their current pricetags.

Great post!

Strongly agree. I also doubt the Brewers look at Jennings or Cedeno as high priorities either. LHP will indeed be one of the main components of roster that the Brewers look to shore up this offseason. I could see Miley coming back, maybe, although somebody might overpay for him. Gio is more doubtful

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 2:56 AM Post
A lefty starter should be an early trade target. Suter, a lefty, should factor into our plans at some point; whether it is at the end of 2019 is anyone's guess. Miley should get a two year deal somewhere, probably too rich for Milwaukee now after his performances down the stretch. Gio could be had on a one year deal, but he will have other suitors too. The odds of having just one of these guys produce in a Brewers uniform next season is below 50% in my book so a trade for a similar lefty might be needed to balance out the starting pitching.

With the depth and added payroll for arby guys in 2019, you would have to believe that some players will simply be traded next year. Preach depth all you want, but the number of guys to simply pay seven figure contracts is way up. Having depth AND paying them next to nothing is one thing. Taking on larger contracts only to have them shifting between San Antonio and Milwaukee, or the rotation and bullpen, is another. The Brewers began trading away depth at the deadlines, guys that possibly weren't going to be on the 40 man roster this year. That should only continue.

Guys like Anderson and Davies are on the trade market, no doubt. They could be had in the right deal because they are getting paid, and we have already shown to have better options on the staff that are not. They each would be good candidates to be traded to small market teams because of their multi years of control and quality experience on a staff.

Merrifield and KC could be a match. Giving them an Anderson or Davies, along with a young and blocked bat (Ray), makes sense for both teams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 10:43 AM Post
The case for adding a #1 from MLBTR.com

Jason
5:49 What do expect Brewers to address this offseasean considering how close they were to the World Series
Jason Martinez
5:51 I think they'll non-tender Schoop and look to add a 2B (bring back Scooter!). Their bullpen is one of the best, especially if they keep one of Woodruff or Burnes there with Knebel-Jeffress-Hader. They have a ton of SP depth and it was enough to get them to Game 7 of the NLCS. Jimmy Nelson could return, but can't rely on any pitcher returning from shoulder injury. So, at the least, I think they'll look to add a No. 1 starter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 12:18 PM Post
I know we talked about Merrifield a ton around the trade deadline, but I still love the idea of adding that bat to our lineup for 2019 and beyond. But, what would it take to get him from the Royals? Since they are now just starting their rebuild, I'm guessing they are going to want younger prospects - and probably wouldn't have any interest in a guy like Domingo or Chase, right? Could we package someone like Chase with a Corey Ray (as someone else suggested) and then maybe throw in another high ceiling prospect like Lutz or Zack Brown? Is that too much or too little to entice the Royals?

Or - do we think that the potential emergence of Hiura would make a deal like this off limits for Stearns, knowing that Keston could help as soon as next year already?

I just think that we need to lengthen out this lineup more with guys that can make good contact with the baseball and less K's. Seems like a guy like Whit would allow us to put more consistent pressure on opposing pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 1:05 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
I know we talked about Merrifield a ton around the trade deadline, but I still love the idea of adding that bat to our lineup for 2019 and beyond. But, what would it take to get him from the Royals? Since they are now just starting their rebuild, I'm guessing they are going to want younger prospects - and probably wouldn't have any interest in a guy like Domingo or Chase, right? Could we package someone like Chase with a Corey Ray (as someone else suggested) and then maybe throw in another high ceiling prospect like Lutz or Zack Brown? Is that too much or too little to entice the Royals?

Or - do we think that the potential emergence of Hiura would make a deal like this off limits for Stearns, knowing that Keston could help as soon as next year already?

I just think that we need to lengthen out this lineup more with guys that can make good contact with the baseball and less K's. Seems like a guy like Whit would allow us to put more consistent pressure on opposing pitchers.

I originally was anti Merrifield, but I've actually come around to the idea.

Bring him in as the primary 2b until Hiura is ready then move him into a super sub role where he still gets ~500 PAs/year. I'm sick of Perez and the likes getting so many PAs. Hard to compete with the Dodgers and Cubs when they have significantly better super subs than the Brewers do.

Obviously cost of acquisition is a concern with Merrifield, but he's the type of player I'd like the Brewers to add. Lower k rate. Solid on base skills. Good base runner. Solid defender at several positions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 1:19 PM Post
long ball said:
madtownhawk said:

I originally was anti Merrifield, but I've actually come around to the idea.

Bring him in as the primary 2b until Hiura is ready then move him into a super sub role where he still gets ~500 PAs/year. I'm sick of Perez and the likes getting so many PAs. Hard to compete with the Dodgers and Cubs when they have significantly better super subs than the Brewers do.

Obviously cost of acquisition is a concern with Merrifield, but he's the type of player I'd like the Brewers to add. Lower k rate. Solid on base skills. Good base runner. Solid defender at several positions.

Yeah, he seems like the exact type of player that the Brewers could use in their lineup. I do worry though about the cost of acquisition as well, as it seems as if the Royals were asking for a lot for him this trade deadline, which probably forced teams away (thus making him off limits).

With all of this said - if our front office thinks that Hiura is the "real deal" and will be ready to contribute at some point next year, then maybe a Whit deal doesn't make a lot of sense?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2018, 8:58 PM Post
Merrifield is going to cost way more than people think. He's averaging almost 5 WAR per season the last 2 years, guys with that kind of value and control don't come cheap, even though he's 29.

You probably need to headline with Hiura. Maybe not much else, but better be sold on Whit being your guy at 2B the next few years if you go this route.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2018, 3:12 PM Post
Kluber mentioned here. If you want your true ace there it is, and controlled for 3/52.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... ey-kluber/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2018, 3:34 PM Post
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

Sources: Charlie Morton is not expected to receive a qualifying offer from the Astros. He's going to generate big-time interest on a short-term deal -- probably two years with an option.

3:23 PM - 2 Nov 2018

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 17, 2018, 6:56 AM Post
Kluber for a package of Peralta, Ray, Davies, and change?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 17, 2018, 8:05 AM Post
madtownhawk said:

Domingo has 3 more years of control and if he returns to his 2017 form the Royals they should be able to get a decent return for him a year from now. Same with Anderson who with a strong first half could be flipped at the deadline. The centerpiece of a deal for Merrifield would have to be a very good prospect but I wouldn't dismiss the idea of including major league talent in the deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 17, 2018, 10:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
rickh150 said:
Kluber for a package of Peralta, Ray, Davies, and change?

Kluber will be 33 next April. That would be a risky trade for any team. I'd pass. Carrasco is gonna be 32 in March. Probably pass on him as well.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Posted: November 27, 2018, 11:57 AM Post
It appears Trevor Bauer is on the block as well https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status ... 9138975744

I would think the cost wound be significantly less than what it would take to get Kluber. Might be an interesting trade target. He is entering his age 28 year, and is controllable through arbitration through the 2020 season. Wonder what it would take? Corey Ray is a good fit, as is Santana, and Taylor/Stokes to a lesser extent. The Indians OF is horrible, and has been for some time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 12:03 PM Post
Haha jeez, DEFINITELY a buyers market for quality SP. Has this ever happened?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 12:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Bauer & Paxton were numbers 47 & 48 on the most recent FanGraphs trade value series, so probably looking at a similar package.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 12:09 PM Post
Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Syndergaard, Paxton, Bumgarner...list of high end SP on the block that we know of. Let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2018, 11:11 PM Post
OnaBadger58 said:
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

Sources: Charlie Morton is not expected to receive a qualifying offer from the Astros. He's going to generate big-time interest on a short-term deal -- probably two years with an option.

3:23 PM - 2 Nov 2018

Depending upon the price, this possibility intrigues me...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2018, 9:49 AM Post
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/10 ... 3640566784

Morosi speculating that the Indians and Brewers are a good match. This actually makes a ton of sense, as the Indians OF is a train wreck, and the Brewers have guys like Santana, Broxton, Stokes, Taylor and Ray that make a lot of sense in a deal. Have to think that Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer are the main targets, but Danny Salazar would be an interesting buy-low candidate. I can't imagine Clevinger or Bieber would be anywhere close to available.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2018, 10:16 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1068164753640566784

Morosi speculating that the Indians and Brewers are a good match. This actually makes a ton of sense, as the Indians OF is a train wreck, and the Brewers have guys like Santana, Broxton, Stokes, Taylor and Ray that make a lot of sense in a deal. Have to think that Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer are the main targets, but Danny Salazar would be an interesting buy-low candidate. I can't imagine Clevinger or Bieber would be anywhere close to available.

If any of those 5 outfielders you listed were able to be used as the main piece to net us any of their starters I’d be very happy. Find it interesting that JP specifically says ATL and CLE are not in active talks but doesn’t say that about us. Of course I could be reading into that far too much haha. But maybe there are at least some legs to it at the moment.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply