LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Offline  Re: Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Posted: November 29, 2018, 10:17 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1068164753640566784

Morosi speculating that the Indians and Brewers are a good match. This actually makes a ton of sense, as the Indians OF is a train wreck, and the Brewers have guys like Santana, Broxton, Stokes, Taylor and Ray that make a lot of sense in a deal. Have to think that Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer are the main targets, but Danny Salazar would be an interesting buy-low candidate. I can't imagine Clevinger or Bieber would be anywhere close to available.

We were a good match last offseason as well and that never materialized. Santana is a glove-like fit for that team. I hope it does this offseason. I personally would prefer Bauer of the 3 options they seem to be dangling as I think his acquisition cost would be the lowest.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2018, 10:42 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1068164753640566784

Morosi speculating that the Indians and Brewers are a good match. This actually makes a ton of sense, as the Indians OF is a train wreck, and the Brewers have guys like Santana, Broxton, Stokes, Taylor and Ray that make a lot of sense in a deal. Have to think that Kluber, Carrasco and Bauer are the main targets, but Danny Salazar would be an interesting buy-low candidate. I can't imagine Clevinger or Bieber would be anywhere close to available.

We were a good match last offseason as well and that never materialized. Santana is a glove-like fit for that team. I hope it does this offseason. I personally would prefer Bauer of the 3 options they seem to be dangling as I think his acquisition cost would be the lowest.

Bauer makes the most sense to me as well. Had a big breakout season last year and is just entering his prime. He will be turning 28 prior to the 2019 season. Figuring out his value could be tough as he was a solid, but not elite pitcher prior to last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2018, 10:55 AM Post
Bauer and Morton make a ton of sense to me. Both guys that have put in the work and using all the data available to them in order to maximize their talents as pitchers. Believe that would be a great mesh with our organizational philosophy.

Wonder what kind of deal it would take with the Indians? If you take on Kipnis' last year does that take away from the cost of players/prospects. Then you have Kipnis/Perez platoon until Hiura is ready, both of those guys can go play some outfield if necessary as well if you lose some of Santana, Broxton, Ray in the deal.

Not sure how well that works for the Brewers taking on salary and losing financial flexibility. Subsequent moves would have to be made with Thames/Anderson/other mid tier guys.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Targets Starting Pitching 2018-19

Posted: November 29, 2018, 11:49 AM Post
Here's each of their contract status'...

Kluber

2019 - $15,200,000
2020 - $15,500,000 * Club Option
2021 - $16,000,000 * Club Option

Carrasco

2019 - $9,750,000
2020 - $9,500,000 * Club Option

Bauer

2019 - Arb $11,600,000 projected
2020 - Arb $19,000,000 projected

All things considered, my guess is the Brewers are most interested in Carrasco.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 12:00 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Here's each of their contract status'...

Kluber

2019 - $15,200,000
2020 - $15,500,000 * Club Option
2021 - $16,000,000 * Club Option

Carrasco

2019 - $9,750,000
2020 - $9,500,000 * Club Option

Bauer

2019 - Arb $11,600,000 projected
2020 - Arb $19,000,000 projected

All things considered, my guess is the Brewers are most interested in Carrasco.

Actually, due to Cy Young finishes in 2017 & 2018, Kluber is up to $17M , $17.5M & $18M. There is also additional money owed & changes for picking up the options if he is traded.
Meanwhile Carassco is $9.75M & $10.25M due to his 2017 Cy Young finish (believe he was 3rd in voting)..

It would likely cost the most to get Carassco of those 3

Last edited by MadThinker88 on December 03, 2018, 9:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 12:24 PM Post
Keeping a close eye on the Danny Salazar situation today. Has been a little talk of them non-tendering him but I would guess some team is willing to risk $5 million to see if he can stay healthy. I'd love for the Brewers to take that risk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 9:48 PM Post
Mike Fiers was non tendered, how long will it take someone to start a thread saying we should go get him?

X-Brewer love and all...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:06 AM Post
turborickey said:
Mike Fiers was non tendered, how long will it take someone to start a thread saying we should go get him?

X-Brewer love and all...

I don’t get these type of condescending remarks. Fiers pitched well a season ago, has had a solid career, and will help someone’s staff. Will it be the Brewers? Meh, probably not worth a thread but there are plenty of worse options out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 12:38 AM Post
I like Fiers but it not what we need for the rotation at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 1:30 AM Post
amt2138 said:
Keeping a close eye on the Danny Salazar situation today. Has been a little talk of them non-tendering him but I would guess some team is willing to risk $5 million to see if he can stay healthy. I'd love for the Brewers to take that risk

Tribe held onto Salazar & got him signed to a deal ($4.5M) for 2019. Salazar has 1 more year of club control after 2019 before being a FA..

It will be interesting to see IF Salazar rebounds from the shoulder surgery he had during 2018 & if that allows him to return to the rotation or moves to the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:57 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
amt2138 said:

Tribe held onto Salazar & got him signed to a deal ($4.5M) for 2019. Salazar has 1 more year of club control after 2019 before being a FA..

It will be interesting to see IF Salazar rebounds from the shoulder surgery he had during 2018 & if that allows him to return to the rotation or moves to the bullpen.

I was a little surprised to see that given that they're clearly trying to cut payroll. Feels like they sold super low on Gomes just to move his contract, which really ins't too large.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 8:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
LincolnDD said:

I was a little surprised to see that given that they're clearly trying to cut payroll. Feels like they sold super low on Gomes just to move his contract, which really ins't too large.

Signing him to a deal to avoid arby doesn't prevent them from trying to trade him if they want to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:09 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Haha jeez, DEFINITELY a buyers market for quality SP. Has this ever happened?

It would be hilarious if the Brewers' bullpen innovation last year contributed to teams suddenly valuing starters a lot less and the Brewers took advantage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 1:23 PM Post
I am not sure DS goes for pitching especially starters this season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:02 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
I like Fiers but it not what we need for the rotation at this point.

I feel like he's exactly what we need right now. A trusted, viable vet coming off yet another solid, yet unspectacular year who will not command a ton on the open market. ERA of 3.6 in over 170 innings pitched(I get ERA isn't the best indicator, but he was solid). I'll take him. I'd be upset if he was our lone accusation and we didn't still go after that TOR arm, but...I have no problem bringing him back...if for no other reason than he could help limit the innings Burnes or Peralta or Woodruff or any combination of the three have to pitch through August next year. Do what the Red Sox did or the Dodgers did. Put Burnes on the DL in July to give him a few weeks off, follow that up with Peralta...and you have a really reliable pitcher to handle those innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 7:16 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
I am not sure DS goes for pitching especially starters this season.

I can't say that he'll get it or not, but I'd be shocked if he didn't TRY to go after a legitimate TOR arm this off-season.

And again, since last year, I'm all in on Corbin. Of course last year I was all in on him as a low risk, high upside type guy...and now it's high risk/high upside. But still, he just strikes me as the absolute perfect fit for the Brewers. A few years where I think he's dominant and then I think he ages well as a smart lefty into his 30's. I was also all in on signing Chatwood to the type of deal he signed last off-season just to make it clear this isn't a "see how right I was," type post. Nelson/Corbin/Chacin/Burnes and a whole slew of options in the 5th slot. I also happen to think Woody can be a dominant multiple inning right handed reliever as he was this past off-season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 4:43 PM Post
I don't think Stearns will go in for a TOR type. I believe he will once again, look at the lower end of the market. Bring in a couple of bullpen types, and one starter. I'm thinking a Derek Holland or another reclamation project like Drew Pomeranz, Shelby Miller or Clay Buchholz.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 6:18 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
I don't think Stearns will go in for a TOR type. I believe he will once again, look at the lower end of the market. Bring in a couple of bullpen types, and one starter. I'm thinking a Derek Holland or another reclamation project like Drew Pomeranz, Shelby Miller or Clay Buchholz.

1 game from the World Series and this is the plan. TOR starter not needed. This can't be real? [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 6:47 PM Post
At least one of Miley, Gio Gonzalez, Derek Holland and/or Drew Pomeranz seems very likely to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2018, 8:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
Oxy said:
At least one of Miley, Gio Gonzalez, Derek Holland and/or Drew Pomeranz seems very likely to me.

Yeah, I think they'll add a left-handed starter. I'm sure they'll check out the entire market - both trade options and free agency. And they will no doubt kick tires on the big fish such as Corbin and Keuchel - as well as the guys mentioned above. I'm guessing they'll do their homework on Yusei Kikuchi as well.

They're smart to look at all these guys as you never know what will or won't work.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply