LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Michael Brantley

Offline  Re: Michael Brantley

Posted: November 02, 2018, 12:42 PM Post
Well the cost to acquire Brantley dropped a little bit.
It appears the Indians are NOT placing a QO on Brantley..
smh

Posted: November 02, 2018, 12:48 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Well the cost to acquire Brantley dropped a little bit.
It appears the Indians are NOT placing a QO on Brantley..
smh

Very surprising in my opinion. I felt that he would of turned it down to get a long term 3 or 4 year deal around $15 million per year. Makes him an even more appealing option for us. He’s the main guy I am interested in acquiring this offseason. Perfect guy to put in the leadoff spot and drop Yelich down to the 3 hole where he should be for the next 4 seasons.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 12:59 PM Post
I love Brantley’s bat and I think adding a corner outfielder is an underrated way to improve this position player group for 2019. Brantley isn’t a particularly strong defender. -4 in outs above average and DRS has his arm rated as roughly average in LF.

So I’m not thrilled about playing Yelich in RF full time where his arm doesn’t really play.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d be excited if they signed Brantley, but it might not be the most effecient way to improve.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 1:25 PM Post
With the way that baseball is played these days with so many homeruns and strikeouts, I wonder how much of a difference there is in runs scored against an outfielder with an average or slightly below average arm compared to an above average arm over the course of a season. Also, the outfielders play so deep that most deep fly balls are a flyout or homerun. Is there a way to compare the amount of runs given up by an outfielder with an average arm such as Yelich compared to another right fielder with an above average arm such as Jay Bruce?

Posted: November 02, 2018, 1:44 PM Post
Fielding bible had Yelich at -7 runs defensively based on his arm. (He graded out above average overall due to range).

You do make a fair a fair observation that OF arm may be less important in today’s game due to lower OBP and fewer balls in play.

For the brewers though, doubling down on run prevention through defense is probably a good route since they don’t really have the payroll space to add TOR starters.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 4:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
MLBTR predicting 3/45 for Brantley.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 4:52 PM Post
sveumrules said:
MLBTR predicting 3/45 for Brantley.

I think that’s a pretty reasonable price tag. Mccutchen at the same predicted contract also makes some sense if the brewers decide to add a free agent corner outfielder.

Online  Re: Michael Brantley

Posted: November 06, 2018, 9:34 AM Post
Rather than sign Brantley and be forced into making room for him by dealing Jesus, why not spend a lot less and bring back Gerardo Parra for OF depth? Having Parra and Santana to be OF backups would allow Brewers to use Perez strictly as an IF and unload Thames who's only role was as occasional fill in for Braun in LF.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 7:59 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Rather than sign Brantley and be forced into making room for him by dealing Jesus, why not spend a lot less and bring back Gerardo Parra for OF depth? Having Parra and Santana to be OF backups would allow Brewers to use Perez strictly as an IF and unload Thames who's only role was as occasional fill in for Braun in LF.

Because Parra isn't an elite top of the order bat. He doesn't move the needle like Brantley could.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:30 AM Post
More ex-brewer love...

It always amazes me how often people bring up ex-brewers as options when the only good reason is based on the fact that they were once Brewers.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:50 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
It always amazes me how often people bring up ex-brewers as options when the only good reason is based on the fact that they were once Brewers.

This is pretty clearly not true.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 9:55 AM Post
And That said:
turborickey said:

I think Brantley actually fits very well into what they team needs, which is another top-of-the-order bat who is going to get on base, move runners over, not strike out a ton, and not go into extended slumps. My reservation would be that he would probably need to play LF, which moves Yelich out of his best position and lowers the overall defensive value. But plugging a healthy Michael Brantley into the #2 or #3 hole in that lineup would be a good thing overall.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 10:12 AM Post
And That said:
turborickey said:

My post was in regards to the Gerardo Parra comment...

Posted: November 07, 2018, 10:14 AM Post
I took it wrong at first too, but I think turborickey was saying that in reference to Parra being mentioned as an option for us and not about Brantley. Brantley is nearly a CAREER .300 hitter that has only struck out in 11.8% of his career at bats. Any lineup would get better with him in it.

Posted: November 07, 2018, 10:33 AM Post
turborickey said:
And That said:
turborickey said:

My post was in regards to the Gerardo Parra comment...

D'oh ... context bites me again!

I agree on Parra. He's a useful reserve outfielder at this point, but is coming off a pretty blah year. Also, he's exactly the type of player Counsell would play too often.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:06 PM Post
Ken_Rosenthal
Michael Brantley’s reps are telling clubs he is willing and able to play 1B for the first time as a major leaguer. No team is looking at Brantley full-time at 1B, but those interested in him are aware of his versatility. Brantley played 53 games at 1B in the minors in 2007-08.
1:42 PM · Dec 6, 2018

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:07 PM Post
Possible platoon guy in OF for braun and a lefty bat at first to pair with Aggie?

Posted: December 06, 2018, 2:18 PM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Possible platoon guy in OF for braun and a lefty bat at first to pair with Aggie?

Brantley might make sense at the right price. You'd want to trade Thames/Santana and roll with Yelich/Cain/Braun/Brantley/Aguilar in 4 spots. It's a nice fit, I just think Brantley gets too big a contract to make this realistic for us.

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:17 PM Post
Brantley makes a lot of sense as line-drive/contact hitter. His lack of strikeouts and K/BB would improve the lineup, and finally healthy and in Miller Park he could see the homers increase to the mid-20s. I like the idea of adding a doubles hitter with nice OBP

Posted: December 06, 2018, 7:23 PM Post
Brantley won't be signed anywhere as a platoon player. He'll be signed as a full time player, who hopefully won't spend large parts of the season on the DL. (which I find almost impossible)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply