LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?

Author Message
Online  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#21

Posted: November 02, 2018, 3:37 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1425
And That said:
And maybe the Brewers don't really have any payroll room at all.
(I haven't dug into this and that doesn't seem right, but nonetheless, it's data.)


If they roll with Thames, Anderson and Schoop, they have no room for a significant add. If they move those guys, they could make a splash with a pretty big signing. I'll guess they go somewhere in between.

The bad part about moving Thames and Schoop is that those guys actually fill a needed role on the team, so I doubt they get moved.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#22

Posted: November 02, 2018, 3:53 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1781
MLBTR released their free agency predictions. They have the Brewers signing...

Brad Brach, 2/12
Wade Miley, 2/12
Kurt Suzuki, 2/8


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#23

Posted: November 05, 2018, 10:49 AM Post
Posts: 3949
sveumrules said:
MLBTR released their free agency predictions. They have the Brewers signing...

Brad Brach, 2/12
Wade Miley, 2/12
Kurt Suzuki, 2/8


Brach? No, thanks. A more expensive Matt Albers. Hard pass.

Instead, in that case, go with Miley, and try to get Ramos for 3/30.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#24

Posted: November 06, 2018, 5:41 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1520
Sign CC Sabathia to a 1 year contract.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#25

Posted: November 06, 2018, 5:50 PM Post
Posts: 455
tigerbrew said:
Sign CC Sabathia to a 1 year contract.


You may as well throw up the closed sign then as CC is about to re-up with the Yankees. Sorry to deliver the bad news.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#26

Posted: November 07, 2018, 7:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8901
Sabathia is running on fumes. Loved his time here, but no thank you.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#27

Posted: November 09, 2018, 11:44 AM Post
Posts: 466
See if Peralta/Ray gets you Mad Bum


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#28

Posted: November 09, 2018, 1:10 PM Post
Posts: 976
Location: Ohio
mlloyd10 said:
See if Peralta/Ray gets you Mad Bum


Those 2 players alone would not be enough, especially compared to trade packages other teams would offer if MadBum was put onto the market...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#29

Posted: November 09, 2018, 1:12 PM Post
Posts: 3058
mlloyd10 said:
See if Peralta/Ray gets you Mad Bum


That would be one of the great trades of all time. We can only hope.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#30

Posted: November 09, 2018, 1:18 PM Post
Posts: 984
Wilson Ramos seems like a very interesting piece for us.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#31

Posted: November 09, 2018, 1:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11032
Location: Milwaukee, WI
MadBum was great. His stats are deceiving though based on the ballpark he gets to pitch half his games in. Stay far away as he'd look just about average to above average in Milwaukee.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#32

Posted: November 09, 2018, 1:43 PM Post
Posts: 633
MadThinker88 said:
mlloyd10 said:
See if Peralta/Ray gets you Mad Bum


Those 2 players alone would not be enough, especially compared to trade packages other teams would offer if MadBum was put onto the market...


It might not be enough, but that's a very good reason to stay far away from it. It's just one year, for $12m, of a very good pitcher who has nonetheless struggled to stay healthy and has shown some decline. Now he's still young and could very well get back to his old self, but it is something to think about. In most plausible scenarios MadBum would out perform Peralta in 2019, but I don't see him doing it by enough to outweigh the $12m (That's $11.5m less to spend at 2B/C/wherever), and the 12 years of Peralta/Ray we'd be losing. Trading MLB-ready pitching prospects for short-term MLB pitching is a losing proposition the way I see it. Something you only do if you have literally everything else in place already.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#33

Posted: November 09, 2018, 2:59 PM Post
Posts: 15677
I'm all in on Ramos. I realize Realmuto is younger and superior, but parting with Hiura+ just is too counterproductive.

Get Ramos on a 2 to 3 year deal, keep Hiura. Lineup by July:

1) Cain
2) Hiura
3) Yelich
4) Aguilar
5) Shaw
6) Braun/Santana
7) Ramos
8) Arcia

Finally, the lineup without the black holes we've been waiting for.


Last edited by adambr2 on November 10, 2018, 12:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#34

Posted: November 09, 2018, 6:10 PM Post
Posts: 1368
If Ramos is willing to play here I believe this is a terrific add for us. Let Schoop go please and direct that money at Ramos.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#35

Posted: November 10, 2018, 12:42 AM Post
Posts: 240
Really like the idea of adding Ramos. He’s probably my number 1 realistic impact target.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#36

Posted: November 10, 2018, 11:12 AM Post
Posts: 1368
mlloyd10 said:
See if Peralta/Ray gets you Mad Bum



I honestly think this would be a big overpay. You get Mad Bum for 1 year. in fact no chance no way DS would do that deal IMHO.

Its giving up too much control for a 1 year rental who's velo has diminished


Kluber is a different story


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#37

Posted: November 11, 2018, 10:27 AM Post
Posts: 1277
Location: Madison, WI
This assumes that the payroll limit will set at 112 million to begin next season. To maintain flexibility with roster moves at the trade deadline, I'd like to keep the number at 107 million or under.

Arbitration eligible players:
IF - Jonathan Schoop = DO NOT OFFER
IF - Travis Shaw = 5.1 million
RHP - Corey Knebel = 4.9 million
RHP - Jimmy Nelson = 3.7 million
C - Stephen Vogt = DO NOT OFFER
IF/OF - Hernan Perez = 2.7 million
RHP - Junior Guerra = 2.7 million
RHP - Zach Davies = 2.4 million
OF - Domingo Santana = 2 million
C - Manny Pina = 2 million
C - Erik Kratz = DO NOT OFFER
LHP - Dan Jennings = 1.6 million
LHP - Xavier Cedeno = DO NOT OFFER
IF - Tyler Saladino = DO NOT OFFER

Pick up Jeremy Jeffress option at 3.175 million.

TRADE:
Toronto Blue Jays get RHP-Chase Anderson and $500,000
Milwaukee Brewers get RHP-Joey Murray, OF-DJ Neal, IF-Jose Zepeda
None of these prospect are in the top 30 on the MLB Pipeline list, so don't bother to look. Three lower level players, all would be regarded as fringe prospects. The $500,000 is payable this year and is insurance for the Blue Jays. It would cover the 2020 option buyout if Anderson doesn't pitch well for them. My motivation for making this trade is to simply clear 5.5 million dollars of payroll space. If Attanasio puts the payroll limit at 120 million, then this trade is not made.

Free agent signings:
C-Wilson Ramos = 2 years, 22 million
MLBTR has his estimate as 3 years/36 million, Heyman at 1 year/9 million and Heyman's expert at 1 year/10 million. 2 years/22 million is the rough average of those numbers. I would be very aggressive with this move, and would move up to 3 years/36 million if that's what it took.

IF-Logan Forsythe = 1 year, 1.5 million
Heyman has him at 1 year/1 million and Heyman's expert has him at 1 year/2 million. Forsythe would be my hand-picked player to bridge the second base gap to Hiura.

LHP-Jake Diekman = 1 year, 2.15 million
Heyman has him at 1 year/3 million and Heyman's expert has him at 1 year/1.25 million. Hard-thrower with control issues would provide some lefty insurance as I would be bit thin with left-handed pitching.

A few random notes:
-I would not look to trade Thames. The only other left-handed hitters on the roster are Yelich and Shaw. I'm short on left-handed bats even with Thames on the roster.
-Hard to believe that Attanasio wouldn't bump up the payroll to the levels I'm estimating here. If he does set it a bit lower, then I pass on Diekman. If he sets it even lower than that, then it's passing on Diekman first, and not offering arbitration to Jimmy Nelson second (which I definitely would not want to do).
-Regardless of payroll level, I would shop Chase Anderson. If Attanasio would set the payroll at 120 million instead of 112 million, that would provide a number of options here. I could just keep Anderson. Or, if I got a really good offer for Anderson (would have to be considerably better than the Blue Jays deal from above), I could then trade him and use the available funds to pursue Wade Miley. I really would like to add another possible lefty starter, but it came down to that versus catcher upgrade and I opted for upgrading at catcher.

I'm calling this my opening day 26 because of uncertainties with Nelson. If Nelson is ready to pitch and there are no other pitchers that need to start the season on the DL, then I would have no problem just cutting ties with Albers and eating that 2.5 million dollar salary.

2019 salary in ()
RHP (11) = Jhoulys Chacin (6), Corey Knebel (4.9), Jimmy Nelson (3.7), Jeremy Jeffress (3.175), Junior Guerra (2.7), Matt Albers (2.5), Zach Davies (2.4), Corbin Burnes (0.575), Adrian Houser (0.575), Freddy Peralta (0.575), Brandon Woodruff (0.575) - TOTAL RHP SALARY = 27.675 million
LHP (3) = Jake Diekman (2.15), Dan Jennings (1.6), Josh Hader (0.575) - TOTAL LHP SALARY = 4.325 million
C (2) = Wilson Ramos (11), Manny Pina (1.8) - TOTAL C SALARY = 12.8 million
IF (6) = Eric Thames (6), Travis Shaw (5.1), Hernan Perez (2.7), Logan Forsythe (1.5), Jesus Aguilar (0.575), Orlando Arcia (0.575) - TOTAL IF SALARY = 16.45 million
OF (4) = Ryan Braun (18), Lorenzo Cain (15), Christian Yelich (9.75), Domingo Santana (2) = 44.75 million
TOTAL SALARY OF ALL ABOVE = 106 million

Here are the other 13 to round out the 40 man roster (will leave 1 open spot)
RHP (7) = Jacob Barnes, Marcos Diplan, Jon Olczak, Cody Ponce, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson, Taylor Williams
LHP (2) = Brent Suter (will be DL'ed), Quintin Torres-Costa (will be DL'ed)
C (1) = Jacob Nottingham
IF (1) = Mauricio Dubon
OF (2) = Troy Stokes, Tyrone Taylor
Have to assume that the organization will simply lose Keon Broxton since he is out of options. Would be looking for other LHP options when Suter, Torres-Costa are put on the 60-day DL and don't count on the 40-man. Not really worried about only having the 1 infielder because Hiura probably gets added a few weeks into the season. But would definitely be looking for left-handed pitching, left-handed hitting and some infield help in the split contract and minor league free agency methods of player acquisition. If Saladino and Cedeno get zero free agency interest, those are two guys I would like to have back as non-40 man minor leaguers to begin the season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#38

Posted: November 11, 2018, 11:54 AM Post
Posts: 452
Boy would it be nice to not have to pay Braun $18 mil the next two years...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#39

Posted: November 11, 2018, 1:05 PM Post
Posts: 269
Location: Washburn, WI
With Knebel expecting another healthy raise in arbitration to around $5 million, would now be a good time to sell high on him? He has three years of control left, is coming off of a fantastic finish to the season and in the postseason, and could fetch a pretty nice return. Our payroll is probably near the peak of where we could comfortably be entering the season with hopes of making mid-season additions.

One thing to note as well is that Knebel will start to get very expensive for a relief pitcher, especially for us. Moving him now will clear some salary now and in the future, give us some highly regarded prospects to use for a separate trade if that’s the route Stearns wants to go, and opens up a spot for a young guy to come in and show what he’s got.

His salary the next couple years could start to approach $7-9 million for a relief pitcher. Trading him now with three years of control and before his salary gets too high could help maximize our return. Doubt began to creep into some of our minds this past season when Knebel got hurt and struggled for a chunk of the season. Some people mentioned moving Knebel last offseason, which I thought would of been a wise decision at the time. With him regaining his value to close out the season, is now the time to move Knebel?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?
#40

Posted: November 11, 2018, 1:16 PM Post
Posts: 3058
JosephC said:
This assumes that the payroll limit will set at 112 million to begin next season. To maintain flexibility with roster moves at the trade deadline, I'd like to keep the number at 107 million or under.

Arbitration eligible players:
IF - Jonathan Schoop = DO NOT OFFER
IF - Travis Shaw = 5.1 million
RHP - Corey Knebel = 4.9 million
RHP - Jimmy Nelson = 3.7 million
C - Stephen Vogt = DO NOT OFFER
IF/OF - Hernan Perez = 2.7 million
RHP - Junior Guerra = 2.7 million
RHP - Zach Davies = 2.4 million
OF - Domingo Santana = 2 million
C - Manny Pina = 2 million
C - Erik Kratz = DO NOT OFFER
LHP - Dan Jennings = 1.6 million
LHP - Xavier Cedeno = DO NOT OFFER
IF - Tyler Saladino = DO NOT OFFER

Pick up Jeremy Jeffress option at 3.175 million.

TRADE:
Toronto Blue Jays get RHP-Chase Anderson and $500,000
Milwaukee Brewers get RHP-Joey Murray, OF-DJ Neal, IF-Jose Zepeda
None of these prospect are in the top 30 on the MLB Pipeline list, so don't bother to look. Three lower level players, all would be regarded as fringe prospects. The $500,000 is payable this year and is insurance for the Blue Jays. It would cover the 2020 option buyout if Anderson doesn't pitch well for them. My motivation for making this trade is to simply clear 5.5 million dollars of payroll space. If Attanasio puts the payroll limit at 120 million, then this trade is not made.

Free agent signings:
C-Wilson Ramos = 2 years, 22 million
MLBTR has his estimate as 3 years/36 million, Heyman at 1 year/9 million and Heyman's expert at 1 year/10 million. 2 years/22 million is the rough average of those numbers. I would be very aggressive with this move, and would move up to 3 years/36 million if that's what it took.

IF-Logan Forsythe = 1 year, 1.5 million
Heyman has him at 1 year/1 million and Heyman's expert has him at 1 year/2 million. Forsythe would be my hand-picked player to bridge the second base gap to Hiura.

LHP-Jake Diekman = 1 year, 2.15 million
Heyman has him at 1 year/3 million and Heyman's expert has him at 1 year/1.25 million. Hard-thrower with control issues would provide some lefty insurance as I would be bit thin with left-handed pitching.

A few random notes:
-I would not look to trade Thames. The only other left-handed hitters on the roster are Yelich and Shaw. I'm short on left-handed bats even with Thames on the roster.
-Hard to believe that Attanasio wouldn't bump up the payroll to the levels I'm estimating here. If he does set it a bit lower, then I pass on Diekman. If he sets it even lower than that, then it's passing on Diekman first, and not offering arbitration to Jimmy Nelson second (which I definitely would not want to do).
-Regardless of payroll level, I would shop Chase Anderson. If Attanasio would set the payroll at 120 million instead of 112 million, that would provide a number of options here. I could just keep Anderson. Or, if I got a really good offer for Anderson (would have to be considerably better than the Blue Jays deal from above), I could then trade him and use the available funds to pursue Wade Miley. I really would like to add another possible lefty starter, but it came down to that versus catcher upgrade and I opted for upgrading at catcher.

I'm calling this my opening day 26 because of uncertainties with Nelson. If Nelson is ready to pitch and there are no other pitchers that need to start the season on the DL, then I would have no problem just cutting ties with Albers and eating that 2.5 million dollar salary.

2019 salary in ()
RHP (11) = Jhoulys Chacin (6), Corey Knebel (4.9), Jimmy Nelson (3.7), Jeremy Jeffress (3.175), Junior Guerra (2.7), Matt Albers (2.5), Zach Davies (2.4), Corbin Burnes (0.575), Adrian Houser (0.575), Freddy Peralta (0.575), Brandon Woodruff (0.575) - TOTAL RHP SALARY = 27.675 million
LHP (3) = Jake Diekman (2.15), Dan Jennings (1.6), Josh Hader (0.575) - TOTAL LHP SALARY = 4.325 million
C (2) = Wilson Ramos (11), Manny Pina (1.8) - TOTAL C SALARY = 12.8 million
IF (6) = Eric Thames (6), Travis Shaw (5.1), Hernan Perez (2.7), Logan Forsythe (1.5), Jesus Aguilar (0.575), Orlando Arcia (0.575) - TOTAL IF SALARY = 16.45 million
OF (4) = Ryan Braun (18), Lorenzo Cain (15), Christian Yelich (9.75), Domingo Santana (2) = 44.75 million
TOTAL SALARY OF ALL ABOVE = 106 million

Here are the other 13 to round out the 40 man roster (will leave 1 open spot)
RHP (7) = Jacob Barnes, Marcos Diplan, Jon Olczak, Cody Ponce, Trey Supak, Aaron Wilkerson, Taylor Williams
LHP (2) = Brent Suter (will be DL'ed), Quintin Torres-Costa (will be DL'ed)
C (1) = Jacob Nottingham
IF (1) = Mauricio Dubon
OF (2) = Troy Stokes, Tyrone Taylor
Have to assume that the organization will simply lose Keon Broxton since he is out of options. Would be looking for other LHP options when Suter, Torres-Costa are put on the 60-day DL and don't count on the 40-man. Not really worried about only having the 1 infielder because Hiura probably gets added a few weeks into the season. But would definitely be looking for left-handed pitching, left-handed hitting and some infield help in the split contract and minor league free agency methods of player acquisition. If Saladino and Cedeno get zero free agency interest, those are two guys I would like to have back as non-40 man minor leaguers to begin the season.


Agree completely.

Minor note, I’d add Vogt as our assistant bullpen coach.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brewer2, endaround, Joey Meyer Bombs, KCBrewerfan34, Oxy, The Beat Goes On, TooLiveBrew and 21 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test