LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?

Offline  Re: What is your 2018-2019 Offseason Plan for the Brewers?

Posted: December 02, 2018, 1:29 AM Post
MNBrew said:
On a side note, it's a little funny to see some folks still predicting a week-plus ago that the Brewers would non-tender Vogt . . . . nearly 3 weeks after he was outrighted to AAA (on Nov. 1st), refused the assignment, and became a free agent.

Personally he was just in the template originally so I just left him in. Not really a true prediction anyway, just a plan for what I’d do if I ran the team. At least I’m pretty sure that’s how everyone is handling it haha.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 8:48 PM Post
Yasmani Grandal- 3 years, 45 million. I know MLBTR has him at 4 years, 64 million but I think the market will be soft for him after his less than impressive playoff performance. With Grandal, that will allow Manny to be an elite backup catcher and both players should be fresh. This will also give Nottingham another year to get ready for a possible backup role in 2020.

Derek Dietrich- 1 year, 3.5 million with a club option of 5 million. I am concerned about Dietrich's defense at second base but I think Arcia and the shifts can help with that. He can be platooned with Hernan Perez. Dietrich has a career .816 OPS in away games and obviously Miller Park should help his home run totals.

Justin Wilson- 1 year, 3.5 million. I like the idea of having another lefty in the bullpen. Wilson is not a LOOGY but can provide solid production and add to the depth of the bullpen.

Trade Thames to the Yankees for Sonny Gray- This trade probably makes too much sense that it won't happen. Dietrich will be an insurance policy if Aguilar regresses.

With these moves, payroll would move up to around 120 million which wouldn't leave a tremendous amount of room to add during the season. It is possible that Grandal may opt to defer some money which could align with when Braun is off the books.

1. Cain
2. Yelich
3. Aguliar
4. Shaw
5. Braun
6. Grandal
7. Dietrich
8. Arica
9. Pitcher

Bench: Pina, Perez, Broxton, Dubon, Santana

SP: Chacin, Anderson, Gray, Peralta, Burnes
Pen: Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Albers, Houser, Wilson, Guerra

This will leave Woodruff, Davies, Barnes, and Taylor Williams in the minors for depth. I like the lineup for being mostly balanced (minus Arcia) with formidable hitters.

Last edited by wallus on December 05, 2018, 12:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 8:57 PM Post
Wallus, what about Jimmy?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 9:02 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Wallus, what about Jimmy?

I don't know what to expect from him to be honest. I would rather be safe than sorry and not expect anything from him until he is on the mound facing professional hitters.

It would be a huge boost to have him in the fold and performing well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 12:22 PM Post
Trades:
Eric Thames & Adrian Houser for Sonny Gray

Chase Anderson & Lucas Erceg for Madison Bumgarner

Jesus Aguilar, Zack Brown, & Keon Broxton for Paul Goldschmidt

Free Agents:

Derek Dietrich - 1/3m

Zach Duke - 1/2.5m

Lineup:

Cain - CF
Yelich - RF
Goldschmidt - 1B
Shaw - 3B
Braun/Santana - LF
Dietrich/Perez - 2B
Pina - C
Arcia - SS

Bench: Dubon, Nottingham, Santana, Perez

Rotation: Bumgarner, Chacin, Burnes, Gray, Davies/Peralta

Bullpen: Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Woodruff, Albers, Guerra, Duke

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:03 PM Post
If the Giants are moving towards rebuilding, why would they want Chase Anderson?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:09 PM Post
wallus said:
If the Giants are moving towards rebuilding, why would they want Chase Anderson?

They get a nice 3B prospect and a Chase is a player that I believe will thrive in their park who they can flip for more prospects at the deadline or next offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:27 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
wallus said:

They get a nice 3B prospect and a Chase is a player that I believe will thrive in their park who they can flip for more prospects at the deadline or next offseason.

Erceg isn't that great of a prospect as a recent publication said he might be more of a pitcher. in the future Why would the Giants want to pay an expensive player in the hopes of getting prospects when they could just trade him for actual prospects?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
Vollbc74's offseason plan is my like dream offseason! Kudos

However, I think it will take more to land MadBum and Goldy.

I'll try my version:

Trades:
1B Eric Thames & OF Troy Stokes Jr. for RHP Sonny Gray

RHP Brandon Woodruff, OF Domingo Santana and RHP Zach Davies for LHP Madison Bumgarner

1B Jesus Aguilar, OF Corey Ray and RHP Marcus Diplan for 1B Paul Goldschmidt

Free Agents:

2B Brian Dozier- 1/$8m

LHP Tony Sipp - 1/$2m

Lineup:

Cain - CF
Yelich - RF
Goldschmidt - 1B
Shaw - 3B
Braun - LF
Dozier - 2B
Pina - C
Arcia - SS

Bench: Dubon, Kratz, Broxton, Perez

Rotation: Bumgarner, Chacin, Gray, Burnes, Peralta/Anderson

Bullpen: Knebel, Hader, Jeffress, Sipp, Albers, Guerra, Supak

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
wallus said:
Vollbc74 said:
wallus said:

Erceg isn't that great of a prospect as a recent publication said he might be more of a pitcher. in the future Why would the Giants want to pay an expensive player in the hopes of getting prospects when they could just trade him for actual prospects?

Erceg is still listed anywhere for 4-8 on our top prospect lists depending on where you looks with average to a-average hitting tools and plus defense.

Anderson is far from expensive when you factor in he has accumulated 5.2 bWAR over the last 2 years and is controlled for 3 more years at under 10M per. He had a 3% jump in his HR/FB compared to his career average which will only be helped by playing in ATT park

Over those same years Bumgarner has accumulated a 5.5 bWAR and is only controlled for 1 more year.

Now, all that being said, obviously Bumgarner is the better pitcher, but when you factor in Chase’s production, contract, and park improvement, the case can be made that Chase is a good option for the giants if they are headed toward a quick retool as opposed to a full year down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Vollbc74's offseason plan is my like dream offseason! Kudos

However, I think it will take more to land MadBum and Goldy.

I'll try my version:

Trades:
1B Eric Thames & OF Troy Stokes Jr. for RHP Sonny Gray

RHP Brandon Woodruff, OF Domingo Santana and RHP Zach Davies for LHP Madison Bumgarner

1B Jesus Aguilar, OF Corey Ray and RHP Marcus Diplan for 1B Paul Goldschmidt

Free Agents:

2B Brian Dozier- 1/$8m

LHP Tony Sipp - 1/$2m

Lineup:

Cain - CF
Yelich - RF
Goldschmidt - 1B
Shaw - 3B
Braun - LF
Dozier - 2B
Pina - C
Arcia - SS

Bench: Dubon, Kratz, Broxton, Perez

Rotation: Bumgarner, Chacin, Gray, Burnes, Peralta/Anderson

Bullpen: Knebel, Hader, Jeffress, Sipp, Albers, Guerra, Supak

You think the Brewers are going to start Opening Day with a Payroll of around 130 million?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:51 PM Post
If they can field that roster, then yes, I think Mark will approve a $130 Payroll for 2019.

Let's go for it!

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:54 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:
Erceg is still listed anywhere for 4-8 on our top prospect lists depending on where you looks with average to a-average hitting tools and plus defense.

Anderson is far from expensive when you factor in he has accumulated 5.2 bWAR over the last 2 years and is controlled for 3 more years at under 10M per. He had a 3% jump in his HR/FB compared to his career average which will only be helped by playing in ATT park

Over those same years Bumgarner has accumulated a 5.5 bWAR and is only controlled for 1 more year.

Now, all that being said, obviously Bumgarner is the better pitcher, but when you factor in Chase’s production, contract, and park improvement, the case can be made that Chase is a good option for the giants if they are headed toward a quick retool as opposed to a full year down.

His spot on prospect lists of a system that isn't highly regarded doesn't mean a lot. His OPS the last two season are .682 and .688 which isn't great for a third baseman. He is around the average age for those leagues so he isn't exactly young. Not that errors are a great judge of defense, but he had 23 in 117 games last season. If he wasn't a high draft pick, very few people would be talking about him.

Chase Anderson had a down year last year. He didn't pitch in the playoffs for us over such studs as Wade Miley and traded for little to nothing Gio Gonzalez. I agree that he should bounce back this season, if you are the Giants, why trade your "Ace" for a bounce back possibility.

You would highly prefer someone such as Woodruff or even Brown which are inexpensive and offer long-term upside.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 2:03 PM Post
Free agents
LHP Wade Miley 2 yrs $12M

"Curtis Granderson 1yr $2m

Util/2b Marwin Gonzalez 4yr $36m

Trades
Trade Corey Ray, Eric Thames, Domingo Santana, Marcos Diplan, and Tre Supak to Arizona for Paul Goldschmidt

Trade Jesus Aguilar for something similar to the Adam Lind deal

Projected Rotation
Chase Anderson
Jhoulys Chacin
Corbin Burnes
Wade Miley
Zach Davies

I would love to get a TOR but I think we have a lot of good arms that we need to see how they handle themselves in the first half season ie will Anderson be 2017 or 2018 Anderson, how about Davies?, how good will Nelson be? What does Burnes look like in the MLB over a longer stretch? We may not need a TOR or if we do I would like to wait until midseason to try to fill that hole as I think any will cost you Huira + one of the Woodruff/Peralta/Burnes or we will be taking on a of cost (Grienke)

Projected Bullpen
3 inning relievers every 4ish days
Jimmy Nelson
Woodruff
Junior Guerra
Adrian Houser

High Leverage
Corey Knebel
Jeremy Jeffress
Josh Hader

Situational
Matt Albers

Projected Starting Lineup
CF Lorenzo Cain
RF Christian Yelich
2B Marwin Gonzalez
1B Paul Goldschmidt
3B Travis Shaw
LF Ryan Braun
C Manny Pina
P
SS Orlando Arcia

Projected Bench
C Kratz
IF/OF Hernan Perez
OF Granderson
OF Broxton

Summary
I am firmly of the belief that the rotation will be fine without a TOR as long as we have the bullpen to allow them to work short starts. I don’t want to see any of the starters go through the lineup more than 2 times. I added Granderson to the bench as a lefthanded on base guy who is a good clubhouse presence. I liked keeping Kratz over the cost of going with an outside addition at C for the clubhouse and game calling ability. With the addition of Gonzalez and Goldschmidt I feel we can stick with a little lower offensive production at catcher and stay with a good defensive tandem of Pina and Kratz.

The bench is a bit light hitting overall with no big thumpers but I feel we are going to have more of an on base approach and Braun will be sitting plenty of days to rest with Granderson starting some of those games. Broxton back was the tough one. I was close to looking at swapping him out with Matt Davidson who just was non-tendered but chose to stick with him for his defense in the outfield and will let Perez play 3b against tough lefties to spell Shaw.

I was thinking about bolstering the bullpen a bit and putting woodruff in AAA to start the season to stay stretched out or even just as insurance for a bullpen injury and pickup Britton or Miller but the cost of that seemed too high for my liking and the bats were more important. My plan comes in pretty much right at $125M. Not bad for our first World Series Championship ever!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 2:17 PM Post
wallus said:
Vollbc74 said:

His spot on prospect lists of a system that isn't highly regarded doesn't mean a lot. His OPS the last two season are .682 and .688 which isn't great for a third baseman. He is around the average age for those leagues so he isn't exactly young. Not that errors are a great judge of defense, but he had 23 in 117 games last season. If he wasn't a high draft pick, very few people would be talking about him.

Chase Anderson had a down year last year. He didn't pitch in the playoffs for us over such studs as Wade Miley and traded for little to nothing Gio Gonzalez. I agree that he should bounce back this season, if you are the Giants, why trade your "Ace" for a bounce back possibility.

You would highly prefer someone such as Woodruff or even Brown which are inexpensive and offer long-term upside.

When you consider surplus value in the trade I think Erceg and Anderson have a considerable advantage over Bumgarner.

Bumgarner is projected for about 2.5 WAR next year for a surplus around 11M

Anderson even if he levels off to a 1.5 WAR players for the next 3 years, that gets you a 16M surplus. And I’ve alrwady stated why I think he can be better than a 1.5 WAR player.

Erceg could very well give you at least 3 years of 1 WAR (-1oWAR & 2dWAR) play at 3B over his first 3 seasons for a 26M surplus. Not even factoring in his last 3 years of control.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 2:24 PM Post
Vollbc74 said:

The 4th-8th prospect in a bad system isn't a good prospect.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 2:28 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Vollbc74 said:

I don't think it's a bad system, the better upside guys are in the lower minors is all. Hopefully many take a step forward. Would also be nice if the Grisham's and Erceg's of the world finally hit at a level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:00 PM Post
I'd trade Hiura, Burnes, Woodruff, Hader & Ray to the Angels for Mike Trout

I'd then sign Craig Kimbrel for 6 years $100 million

I'd sign JD LeMahieu for 3 years $60 million

Trade middling prospects to the Yankees for Sonny Gray

Sign Adam Ottovino 3 years 48 million

Roll with

Cain
Yelich
Trout
Shaw
Aguilar
LeMahieu
Pina
Arcia

Chacin
Gray
Anderson
Nelson
Guerra

Bullpen of
Kimbrel
Jeffress
Knebel
Ottovino

Plus...

Brewers win the World Series, I get a statue at Miller Park, the team sucks in 2022 but so what...Mark A still makes money because Brewers get new TV contract despite the bigger payroll

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:43 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
trwi7 said:
Vollbc74 said:

I don't think it's a bad system, the better upside guys are in the lower minors is all. Hopefully many take a step forward. Would also be nice if the Grisham's and Erceg's of the world finally hit at a level.

It is a bad system. Every team has "better upside guys in the lower minors that hopefully take a step forward."

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 3:45 PM Post
trwi7 said:

It is a bad system. Every team has "better upside guys in the lower minors that hopefully take a step forward."

It is possible that not everyone shares your opinion.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply