LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?
Piña / Kratz / Nottingham (no outside acquisitions) 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
Yasmani Grandal (via free agency) 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
Wilson Ramos (via free agency) 21%  21%  [ 29 ]
J.T. Realmuto (via trade) 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
An Old Friend (Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado via free agency) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Other (please post an explanation) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 135
Online  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019
Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:10 AM Post
think Grandal going to get a higher deal than the brewers want to pay.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:11 AM Post
I have yet to see or hear any compelling argument as to how Yasmani Grandal is better than Manny Pina...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Offline  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019
Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:15 AM Post
I'm not in on a substantial deal to Grandal. Just don't think he's good enough to be locked into multiple years at 15ish mil at a position like C that is so up and down and prone to injuries (the position, not specific to him). Just can't see it for a budget strapped team. Especially when Ramos was theoretically available for 2/20ish. I'd just hold with Pina

Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
Between Grandal at something like 3/40 plus the lost draft pick, or...

Realmuto at something like 2/16 through arby minus one of Woodruff/Peralta, Ray & another depth piece...

I'd probably prefer option Yasmani (even though I prefer JT as a player) just because to me keeping Woodruff/Peralta & Ray is worth more than the additional salary...

Which means we'll probably roll into the season with Pina, Kratz & maybe another cheap scrap heap vet.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 10:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
3and2Fastball said:
I have yet to see or hear any compelling argument as to how Yasmani Grandal is better than Manny Pina...

Despite Yasmani Grandal being a year & a half younger than Manny Pina, he already has 483 more games & 1,866 more plate appearances. Yasmani was a full time starter at age 25, it took Manny until he was 30 to crack 300 PAs in a season.

MP 2017-18 | 266/317/410 (90 wRC+) 696 PAs
YG 2017-18 | 244/329/462 (114 wRC+) 1,000 PAs
MP career | 263/318/401 (90 wRC+) 794 PAs
YG career | 240/341/441 (117 wRC+) 2,660 PAs

In 2018 & 2017 Yasmani ranked 1st & 4th by BPro's catching metric which include framing, blocking & throwing. Pina ranked 19th & 31st.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:02 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:

No one is responding because there isn't an answer.

I'm fine with Pina being our everyday guy, as long as CC doesn't decide to let Kratz become our everyday guy for whatever reason.

Pina isn't our biggest offensive liability. If he is average or above, roll with him, and look for that 2B to plug into our lineup until Keston is ready.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:09 PM Post
I think the draft pick attached to signing Grandal will lower the market to where we will be a player for him. If we can sign him and Lowrie, I really like our lineup moving forward. I hate to lose the draft pick but we need to make a move for a World Series in 2019.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:15 PM Post
sveumrules said:
3and2Fastball said:

Despite Yasmani Grandal being a year & a half younger than Manny Pina, he already has 483 more games & 1,866 more plate appearances. Yasmani was a full time starter at age 25, it took Manny until he was 30 to crack 300 PAs in a season.

MP 2017-18 | 266/317/410 (90 wRC+) 696 PAs
YG 2017-18 | 244/329/462 (114 wRC+) 1,000 PAs
MP career | 263/318/401 (90 wRC+) 794 PAs
YG career | 240/341/441 (117 wRC+) 2,660 PAs

In 2018 & 2017 Yasmani ranked 1st & 4th by BPro's catching metric which include framing, blocking & throwing. Pina ranked 19th & 31st.

Thanks! Much appreciated

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:18 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
3and2Fastball said:

Literally the post above yours.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:26 PM Post
he also hits better as a lefty which is ideal with obviously more P being RH and with Pina batting righty. If you can get this down to a 2 year commitment/risk I'm more on board, really struggle to go beyond that in MKE's situation. Although he was in the PED suspension so we can't have guys like that...

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:33 PM Post
Pina just can't be counted on to be "the guy". He is a fine catcher but needs to catch like 70-80 games, max.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:48 PM Post
I find myself wondering... after the successful rejuvenation of Miley, could the same happen with Lucroy thanks to the Brewers' analytics and the tech they are using?

Would come cheap, no pick gets lost...

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:49 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Pina just can't be counted on to be "the guy". He is a fine catcher but needs to catch like 70-80 games, max.

I think you're right. It is my recollection that he appeared to wear down some when played heavily for long stretches. I like Stearn's strategy of having quality depth and having Pina as a backup/50% starter would mesh well with that.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
I find myself wondering... after the successful rejuvenation of Miley, could the same happen with Lucroy thanks to the Brewers' analytics and the tech they are using?

I read that the A's made an offer to Lucroy - one year and around $5M. He turned it down. Not sure how accurate the info was.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 1:59 PM Post
wallus said:
Brew4U said:

I think you're right. It is my recollection that he appeared to wear down some when played heavily for long stretches. I like Stearn's strategy of having quality depth and having Pina as a backup/50% starter would mesh well with that.

I get that, maybe up to 100. But, if you have a guy who can cover at least half the games fairly well do you neeeed to spend a ton to cover the other half. Someone smarter than me can maybe find a more cost efficient lefty hitter (ala what Vogt was when we got him) to split with him who can hit RH pitching ok. Basically do what they're doing with Kratz but someone who can hit above pitcher level

Last edited by tmwiese55 on December 18, 2018, 2:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 2:03 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
wallus said:

I get that, maybe up to 100. But, if you have a guy who can cover at least half the games fairly well do you neeeed to spend a ton to cover the other half. Someone smarter than me can maybe find a more cost efficient lefty hitter (alo what Vogt was when we got him) to split with him who can RH pitching ok. Basically do what they're doing with Kratz but someone who can hit above pitcher level

I just really do not want to punt on offensive production from the catching position this year. I think we are sticking with Arcia at shortstop which makes sense but it is hard to say what we will get from him at the plate. Having the 7,8, and 9 spots in the lineup being possible black holes is concerning for a contending team.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 2:15 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
clancyphile said:

I read that the A's made an offer to Lucroy - one year and around $5M. He turned it down. Not sure how accurate the info was.

If that is true, he made a foolish decision.

Posted: December 18, 2018, 2:38 PM Post
wallus said:
tmwiese55 said:
wallus said:

I get that, maybe up to 100. But, if you have a guy who can cover at least half the games fairly well do you neeeed to spend a ton to cover the other half. Someone smarter than me can maybe find a more cost efficient lefty hitter (alo what Vogt was when we got him) to split with him who can RH pitching ok. Basically do what they're doing with Kratz but someone who can hit above pitcher level

I just really do not want to punt on offensive production from the catching position this year. I think we are sticking with Arcia at shortstop which makes sense but it is hard to say what we will get from him at the plate. Having the 7,8, and 9 spots in the lineup being possible black holes is concerning for a contending team.

Me too, as you can see be my posts on Kratz. However, Grandal is a 240/333ish type expectation, that's nothing awesome. now I know he does have the power to make up for it and our park should fit him well, but I'm saying I'd hope you can find a platoon guy who can 250/310. combine him with Pina and you're not really far off on the AVG/OBP areas, you're just missing the 10ish extra HRs while saving a ton of money you could spend on an IF. I see both sides of course and this side is reliant on finding a respectable lefty hitter to platoon who wants to come here. I don't know who that would be and if it exists. Unfortunately I think they think they already have that type of guy in Kratz...

Posted: December 18, 2018, 2:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
And That said:
turborickey said:
3and2Fastball said:

Literally the post above yours.

That feeling when you find out turborickey has you on ignore.

Posted: December 25, 2018, 10:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
According to Ken Rosenthal during an MLB Network segment yesterday, the Brewers offered Wilson Ramos a one year deal. Ramos obviously ultimately signed with the Mets for two years and $19 million.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply