LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?
Piña / Kratz / Nottingham (no outside acquisitions) 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
Yasmani Grandal (via free agency) 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
Wilson Ramos (via free agency) 21%  21%  [ 29 ]
J.T. Realmuto (via trade) 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
An Old Friend (Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado via free agency) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Other (please post an explanation) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 135
Offline  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019
Posted: December 26, 2018, 12:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
I find myself wondering... after the successful rejuvenation of Miley, could the same happen with Lucroy thanks to the Brewers' analytics and the tech they are using?

Would come cheap, no pick gets lost...

I'm going to say no even at the vet min. I loved what Lucroy was for us, but he isn't that player anymore. His last two seasons were almost identical outside of Colorado:
2017: .242/.297/.338/.635
2018: .241/.291/.325/.617
Perhaps if you consider him a backup catcher, but I don't know that Pina is clearly a starter.

I'm not 100% sure if Grandal is the "right" catcher to sign, but I wouldn't be concerned with the draft pick compensation if he is... We have a team built for the next 2-3 years (at least). Time to shore up the holes and win a crown rather than continual fight for a playoff spot.

Posted: December 28, 2018, 9:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
An interesting note from today’s LA Times article, What's next for the Dodgers?...

Yasmani Grandal, who turned down the Dodgers’ $17.9-million qualifying offer, remains a free agent after declining a four-year, $60-million offer from the New York Mets, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. But a Los Angeles reunion with the catcher is unlikely unless he is willing to sign a short contract. If Realmuto isn’t an option, the Dodgers, with catching prospects Will Smith and Keibert Ruiz nearing the majors, would prefer a one-year stopgap. Choices in that aisle include the Pittsburgh Pirates’ Francisco Cervelli, who is entering the final year of his contract, and free agent Martin Maldonado.

With a shrinking number of teams looking for starting catchers I’ll be surprised if Grandal significantly exceeds that reported offer of 4-years, $60 million. I would bet on Grandal signing with the Phillies at this point, but if not (and assuming he doesn’t return to the Dodgers) the rest of the field seems narrowed down to the A’s, Rockies, Brewers, Reds, Red Sox, and Padres. The Astros, White Sox, Rays, Braves, and Angels could certainly remain in play as well, but they may be satisfied enough with either their other catching additions from this offseason or other available options. The Indians could be a darkhorse I guess, and if the Pirates move Cervelli than maybe they would be interested.

Posted: December 28, 2018, 10:45 PM Post
I don't think a Pina/Kratz or Pina/Nottingham combo is the bee's knees or anything, but they're decent enough and 2B is by far a more glaring issue with a stud SP and then another strong reliever next on the priority list.

I think Grandal's more than a bit overrated and definitely overpriced for the difference between him & Pina (Dodgers media attention syndrome) and I don't want Realmuto at anywhere near the mint the Marlins are apparently asking for.

If the Brewers are going to shell out major coin or asset value, it needs to be where the upgrade is most needed. Pina was below-the-Mendoza-line-lousy at the plate in the 1st half and a black hole w/ RISP for the whole year, but he hit much closer to his career norms in the 2nd half and that level of hitting success is quite acceptable if 2B production can be significantly upgraded by player acquisition. I also think that Pina's defense is still a little underrated -- he wasn't a Gold Glove finalist just because he's a nice guy.

Last edited by MNBrew on December 29, 2018, 8:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: December 29, 2018, 1:36 AM Post
4 years and 60 million sounds like a pretty good contract for a catcher like Grandal. I am surprised he didn't go with it. How much more does he expect to get?

Posted: December 29, 2018, 9:18 PM Post
Man, I just looked at Grandal's stats more carefully, then at Pina & Realmuto. I don't get the fascination. He's alright but he's really not that great of a hitter. Yes, he's averaged 24 HRs & 66 RBIs per year the past 3 years, but with a .240-ish BA, .330-ish OBP. Pina's been a better hitter for average even with 2018's atrocious first half, he's a .265 hitter the past 3 years, OBP'd right at .330, and had 500 fewer MLB ABs than Grandal, so RBI/AB rate is 78% of what Grandal's has been in that same time -- not shabby at all, especially for Pina's cost, which also comes w/ defense recognized as being among the best this past year (Gold Glove nominee, thus at least somewhat non-metric).

Posted: December 29, 2018, 10:06 PM Post
MNBrew said:
Man, I just looked at Grandal's stats more carefully, then at Pina & Realmuto. I don't get the fascination. He's alright but he's really not that great of a hitter. Yes, he's averaged 24 HRs & 66 RBIs per year the past 3 years, but with a .240-ish BA, .330-ish OBP. Pina's been a better hitter for average even with 2018's atrocious first half, he's a .265 hitter the past 3 years, OBP'd right at .330, and had 500 fewer MLB ABs than Grandal, so RBI/AB rate is 78% of what Grandal's has been in that same time -- not shabby at all, especially for Pina's cost, which also comes w/ defense recognized as being among the best this past year (Gold Glove nominee, thus at least somewhat non-metric).

Grandal has never had a below average offensive season and Pina has never had an above average offensive season. I don't necessarily want Grandal but he's a pretty significant upgrade over Pina offensively while still being an above average defender. And Grandal is a year and a half younger to boot.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: December 29, 2018, 10:24 PM Post
trwi7 said:
MNBrew said:

Grandal has never had a below average offensive season and Pina has never had an above average offensive season. I don't necessarily want Grandal but he's a pretty significant upgrade over Pina offensively while still being an above average defender. And Grandal is a year and a half younger to boot.

There are better ways to improve the roster than to increase payroll by roughly $14 million for a marginal upgrade at catcher. Ramos was a much better hitter and he signed for much less than Grandal. I don’t see Stearns giving Grandal anything close to what he wants if he wouldn’t even offer a two year deal for Ramos. If we are signing a catcher this offseason, it’ll probably be on a one year deal, maybe with a team option for a second season.

Posted: December 29, 2018, 10:57 PM Post
Pina will likely do better next year as well

Posted: December 30, 2018, 12:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
MNBrew said:

Grandal career 240/341/441 (117 wRC+)
M Pina career 263/318/407 (90 wRC+)

Manny hitting for a better average is pretty meaningless when he still has a lower OBP & SLG while also playing in a more hitter friendly park, thus the massive edge in wRC+ for Yasmani.

Pina's batting line is pretty much right in line with a league average catcher, so he is alright. That Yasmani has been over 25% better does make him pretty great by comparison.

Posted: December 30, 2018, 1:29 AM Post
DHonks said:

Why? Just because? I'd say it's much more likely he keeps the .285 BABIP he had this year than the .339 he had in 2017 considering his batted ball profile and umm, lack of speed.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: December 30, 2018, 8:28 AM Post
trwi7 said:
DHonks said:

Why? Just because? I'd say it's much more likely he keeps the .285 BABIP he had this year than the .339 he had in 2017 considering his batted ball profile and umm, lack of speed.

True. But he's not Henry Blanco horrible at the plate (I hated seeing Blanco in the lineup), nor is he as bad as some other backstops the Brewers have had. I miss peak Lucroy, though, and it was nice to have one of the best offensive catchers.

Then again, if Nottingham is as good as some say, he may push Pina to the #2 spot by the end of the season.

Posted: December 30, 2018, 9:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Why is the conversation regarding how much of an upgrade Grandal is vs. Pina? Isn’t the correct comparison vs. Kratz? If Pina/Kratz playing time was 60/40, doesn’t Grandal/Pina become the new 60/40?

Online  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019
Posted: December 30, 2018, 9:38 AM Post
Pina for about 80-90 games is fine. Asking anything more, or expecting more and you will most likely be disappointed. The problem is finding his tandem partner and/or just finding a bonfied starter to move him into a complete backup role.

Posted: January 09, 2019, 10:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Woah Solvdd!

Looks like 16% of the crowd got their man.

Going to lock it down now.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply