LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?
Piña / Kratz / Nottingham (no outside acquisitions) 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
Yasmani Grandal (via free agency) 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
Wilson Ramos (via free agency) 21%  21%  [ 29 ]
J.T. Realmuto (via trade) 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
An Old Friend (Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado via free agency) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Other (please post an explanation) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 135
Offline  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Posted: October 31, 2018, 9:01 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
clancyphile said:
I think Patrick Mazieka from the Mets would be a good option. He is up for the Rule 5 draft and could be had that way. Plus he is a high-contact hitter, something the Brewers are short of.

Not a great average last year, but that appears to be an outlier. Otherwise good contact skills, great OBP, low strikeouts and a very good average at the lower levels. You might be on to something there.

I wonder about his defense. Any word on how good it is?

From MLB.com's Pipeline:
"He doesn't look pretty behind the plate and needs to continue to work on his receiving and game-calling, but he manages to get the job done, throwing out just over 30 percent of would-be basestealers in his career."

Mets have two other catchers ahead of him on their top 30 (he is #27). But if they leave him unprotected... I'd grab him.

Posted: October 31, 2018, 9:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Smichaelis9 said:
Posted in another thread but here's an under the radar guy that I’m looking at for a smaller deal. Luke Maile of the Blue Jays. He showed solid OBP skills this year .248/.333/.366 and above average wRC+ at 95. Plus, a 34.3% hard hit percentage on Fangraphs and 43% on Statcast from the left side. Not to mention being a top 10 receiving catcher in baseball http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

I would pair him with Pina and be pretty happy with our overall catching situation.

Edit: The Jays have one more year of Russell Martin, and younger prospects Danny Jansen and Reese McGuire in the MLB at the catcher position likely making Maile the odd man out.

I love it when people can come up with ideas like this. I had never really heard of Maile. Interesting player. He would be under team control for four years.

Posted: November 01, 2018, 10:06 AM Post
I saw someone on twitter yesterday bring up Austin Hedges from SD. SD now has Mejia and they may be open to moving Hedges.

Hedges has some things to like. Solid power. great arm. really good overall defense. K% is high and BB% is low so that isn't super inspiring, but the rest of the skills are pretty interesting for a time share type role with Pina.

Posted: November 01, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
long ball said:
I saw someone on twitter yesterday bring up Austin Hedges from SD. SD now has Mejia and they may be open to moving Hedges.

Hedges has some things to like. Solid power. great arm. really good overall defense. K% is high and BB% is low so that isn't super inspiring, but the rest of the skills are pretty interesting for a time share type role with Pina.

That's still another feast-or-famine type of hitter. The Crew's Achilles heel was moving runners over, and making contact.

Mazieka could cost as little as a Rule 5 pick. Granted, he would be committed to the 25-man, but if he is a good average hitter, with good OBP skills... it's a huge gain.

Posted: November 01, 2018, 2:40 PM Post
clancyphile said:
long ball said:

That's still another feast-or-famine type of hitter. The Crew's Achilles heel was moving runners over, and making contact.

Mazieka could cost as little as a Rule 5 pick. Granted, he would be committed to the 25-man, but if he is a good average hitter, with good OBP skills... it's a huge gain.

Admittedly I know nothing about him outside of what I have read in your posts, a quick read of a spotlight post from Baseball Prospectus from this season, and his stats page.

His offensive profile is interesting even though he struggled in AA this season, but had a low BABIP. He hasn't played above AA though and his defense isn't strong (per the BP snippet I read).

I'm just not sure the Brewers will make a selection in the rule 5 draft much less stick with a rule 5 draftee the full season. It's an interesting name though.

Online  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Posted: November 02, 2018, 4:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
MLBTR with some free agent predictions...

Yasmani Grandal, 4/64
Wilson Ramos, 3/36
Martin Maldonado, 2/8
Kurt Suzuki, 2/8

Lucroy did not get a prediction. Would be pretty crazy for Maldonado to land a bigger contract than Luc.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 6:56 PM Post
dlk9s said:
I mean, I know Grandal was our NLCS MVP, but....

He's actually an excellent defensive catcher. All the better for us if his value is materially affected by a meaningless sample of jittery postseason (aka the Reverse Suppan)

Posted: November 02, 2018, 7:01 PM Post
If Grandal can be had for something along the lines of 4 years and $48 million, I'd be willing to go with that.

But not much more. To me the better bet is Mazieka, especially if he is unprotected in the Rule 5 draft.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 7:07 PM Post
clancyphile said:
If Grandal can be had for something along the lines of 4 years and $48 million, I'd be willing to go with that.

But not much more. To me the better bet is Mazieka, especially if he is unprotected in the Rule 5 draft.

I understand the intrigue with Mazieka, clancy, but you are comparing apples and ... well ... giraffes now. You are comparing a Top 5 MLB catcher to a guy that hasn't played an inning above AA. I mean it is fun to speculate on a guy, but you don't have to beat his name into the ground in nearly every post.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 8:04 PM Post
I think someone besides the brewers will pay the bucks for Grandal.
I think Mazieka maybe the way to look at come the rule 5 draft

Posted: November 02, 2018, 8:57 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I’m about to add “Mazieka” to the cuss filter.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 10:17 PM Post
I voted for Ramos. Mlbtraderumors.com has him projected for 3/36. I would gladly give him that if it meant hanging onto our trade capital.

He hits almost as well as Realmuto, you don't lose any defense at all, and he isn't going to break the bank. What's not to like?

Posted: November 02, 2018, 10:50 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I voted for Ramos. Mlbtraderumors.com has him projected for 3/36. I would gladly give him that if it meant hanging onto our trade capital.

He hits almost as well as Realmuto, you don't lose any defense at all, and he isn't going to break the bank. What's not to like?

His OPS+ has been under 100 for three of the last five years - 91 in 2014, 66 in 2015, and 97 in 2017. He also missed time with an ACL injury.

Those pose some risks.

If the Crew goes free agent, bringing back Lucroy at 3 years, $9 million makes more sense. Perhaps the return to Milwaukee will make him regain his stroke, the way it did for Jeff Cirillo.

Posted: November 02, 2018, 11:04 PM Post
To rank the options in my order of preference:

1. Acquire Realmuto for Nottingham, Dubon, and Aguilar (plus Broxton).
2. Bring back Lucroy for 3 years, $9 million.
3. Mazieka via the Rule 5
4. Stand pat with current catchers
5. Sign Maldanado for 2 years, $8 million
6. Other
7. Sign Grandal for 4 years and whatever
8. Sign Ramos for 3 years and whatever

Posted: November 02, 2018, 11:05 PM Post
clancyphile said:
adambr2 said:

His OPS+ has been under 100 for three of the last five years - 91 in 2014, 66 in 2015, and 97 in 2017. He also missed time with an ACL injury.

Those pose some risks.

If the Crew goes free agent, bringing back Lucroy at 3 years, $9 million makes more sense. Perhaps the return to Milwaukee will make him regain his stroke, the way it did for Jeff Cirillo.

He's also had a 121+ OPS in 2 out of the last 3 seasons, which is a more recent outlook. Even if he's only at 100-105, that's a nice upgrade. The injury concerns are legitimate, which is why I'd limit him to 100 starts or so with Pina getting 60.

No interest in Lucroy whatsoever. He looks done and has been quite bad for 2 seasons now. Not even an offensive upgrade from Kratz. I'd rather just roll with Pina and Nottingham.

Online  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Posted: November 03, 2018, 3:55 AM Post
clancyphile said:
adambr2 said:

Those pose some risks.

Huh? A solid defensive catcher with an OPS+ more than 90 for 4 of the last 5 years sounds pretty solid as long as you don't break the bank for him. Especially if the upside is 120+ OPS.

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:25 AM Post
Oxy said:
clancyphile said:

Those pose some risks.

Huh? A solid defensive catcher with an OPS+ more than 90 for 4 of the last 5 years sounds pretty solid as long as you don't break the bank for him. Especially if the upside is 120+ OPS.

The prediction was $12 million a year for three years.

That's a lot of money, and he's coming off a big year in his contract season. I've been burned by the Jason Kendalls the Brewers have picked up.

Lucroy won't be as big a risk, and I'd bet a return to Milwaukee could revive his bat. It worked with Jeff Cirillo.

Posted: November 03, 2018, 8:32 AM Post
I’ll start with I have no evidence to back this up. Pure observation take. Lucroy looks tiny now. Almost like he’s trimmed down as much as he can so he can still catch. But in doing so, he’s lost power in his bat and he’s become a below average to average catcher overall. Really happy we didn’t end up giving him a contract.

Posted: November 03, 2018, 9:13 AM Post
Jonathan Lucroy should be lucky to get a MLB deal, let alone 3 years or $9m Clancy. He has been absolute garbage for three years.

2017 OPS- .635 with the Rangers and .676 on the road with the Rockies

2018 OPS- .612 with the Oakland A’s

Time to start living in the year 2019, not 2014.

Posted: November 03, 2018, 10:56 AM Post
clancyphile said:
Oxy said:
clancyphile said:

Those pose some risks.

The prediction was $12 million a year for three years.

That's a lot of money, and he's coming off a big year in his contract season. I've been burned by the Jason Kendalls the Brewers have picked up.

Lucroy won't be as big a risk, and I'd bet a return to Milwaukee could revive his bat. It worked with Jeff Cirillo.

You have thrown out way, way worse hypothetical money of Mark A's before than 3/36 for Wilson Ramos. [smile]

Jason Kendall is a very different situation than Ramos. 3 years older when we signed him for starters and not a good hitter at that point in his career.

For every guy in their 30s who has a career rejuvenation from going back to their original team, there are 10 who are just done. I don't expect Lucroy to be different. It's not like he never wanted to leave here to begin with.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply