LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Who should be the Brewers starting catcher in 2019?
Piña / Kratz / Nottingham (no outside acquisitions) 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
Yasmani Grandal (via free agency) 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
Wilson Ramos (via free agency) 21%  21%  [ 29 ]
J.T. Realmuto (via trade) 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
An Old Friend (Jonathan Lucroy or Martin Maldonado via free agency) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Other (please post an explanation) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 135
Offline  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Posted: November 15, 2018, 11:54 AM Post
If Grandal gets low-balled because of his playoff yips, I'd gladly take that risk. I think he could hit a ton of homers in Miller Park, and while I don't think he's ever going to solve his catching woes, I also don't think the yips are a permanent thing. I think his bat could make up for his mistakes behind the plate and then some, and that's coming from a guy who loves defense at key positions (I didn't put Yelich ahead of Cain in my MVP race until the last 2 weeks).

Online  Re: Solving the Catcher Position for 2019

Posted: November 19, 2018, 10:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Kurt Suzuki signed a two years for $10 million deal with the Washington Nationals. It takes one FA catching option off the market, but also significantly lessens the likelihood the Nationals will be in the mix to trade for Realmuto (or sign another FA catcher).

Posted: November 19, 2018, 12:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think they did Manny a favor by starting him in a 3/2 format with Kratz due to Pina's age. But that also exposed Kratz's bat with a larger sample size. Personally, I thought Nottingham did enough in his short stints to warrant a look in Kratz's role. But if they go for a FA, I'd guess it would be someone that can hold up 2/5ths or 3/5ths of the playing time like they wanted Kratz to do and not a full time starter.

Posted: November 19, 2018, 12:24 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Kurt Suzuki signed a two years for $10 million deal with the Washington Nationals. It takes one FA catching option off the market, but also significantly lessens the likelihood the Nationals will be in the mix to trade for Realmuto (or sign another FA catcher).

I was thinking Suzuki would of been a good fit with Pina. Seems like a pretty reasonable contract for being one of the top hitting catchers in the game the last couple seasons.

Posted: November 19, 2018, 10:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
Another catcher potentially available via trade...

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Indians drawing significant trade interest in catcher Yan Gomes as well as SPs, sources tell The Athletic. Gomes earning $7M in 2019 with $9M club option for ‘20, $11M opt for ‘21. Rival exec says CLE “scrambling to get young players.” Perez and Haase only other Cs on roster.

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:30 PM Post
Gomes scares the hell out of me because be basically sucked from 15-17

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:41 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
Gomes scares the hell out of me because be basically sucked from 15-17

Yikes, yeah he was really bad in that 3-year stretch, wasn't he. And, he's owed 27M over the next few years (with team options in '20 and '21). At that price, wouldn't we be better off just going out and getting one of the catchers in F/A and save our prospects? I'm not even sure what it would take to get Gomes in a trade, but I don't think I'd want to give up that much.

Posted: November 20, 2018, 10:43 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I think they did Manny a favor by starting him in a 3/2 format with Kratz due to Pina's age. But that also exposed Kratz's bat with a larger sample size. Personally, I thought Nottingham did enough in his short stints to warrant a look in Kratz's role. But if they go for a FA, I'd guess it would be someone that can hold up 2/5ths or 3/5ths of the playing time like they wanted Kratz to do and not a full time starter.

Pina is an elite #2 catcher... ask him to be the #1, and he is average.

Posted: November 21, 2018, 8:39 AM Post
I am in the camp of sign Grandal to go with Grandal/Pina. Trade for Gomes and go Gomes/Pina or do nothing and go with Pina/Nottingham.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Posted: November 21, 2018, 10:44 AM Post
I have less than 0 interest in Grandal because of the draft pick compensation. I don't want to give up another pick, and in this case to sign a very questionable defender behind the plate that will certainly split time with Pina.

Posted: November 21, 2018, 11:07 AM Post
I'm basically at the point that if you don't get the noticeable upgrade with Realmuto or I suppose Ramos if the price is right then just go with Pina/nottingham in at least a 3/5 split to Pina. Pina was really good in 17, struggled to start 18 but then was basically back the whole second before losing his PT to someone who couldn't hit. I'd trust him to be fine next year. Probably have to grab some kind of vet in the Kratz/Vogt mold to stash in AAA in case of injury.

Posted: November 21, 2018, 11:48 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I have less than 0 interest in Grandal because of the draft pick compensation. I don't want to give up another pick, and in this case to sign a very questionable defender behind the plate that will certainly split time with Pina.

Except he has graded out as positive defensively.

Posted: December 04, 2018, 10:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
I am convinced more than ever that Yasmani Grandal is the correct answer to this question. I think Grandal should be the Brewers big off-season splash, even with the parameters of having to give up a second round draft pick and a good amount of money to sign him. I think a switch hitting catcher that both walks and hits for power could be a real weapon in the Brewers lineup. He also isn’t nearly as bad defensively as was witnessed in a minuscule post-season sample.

Here is a quick look at the moves thus far this off-season and teams known to be in the market for catchers (let me know if I missed anyone and I’ll update the lists)...

Trade Candidates
J.T. Realmuto
Yan Gomes
Omar Narvaez
Mike Zunino
Francisco Cervelli
Salvador Perez
Wellington Castillo
Russell Martin
Carson Kelly

Free Agents
Yasmani Grandal
Wilson Ramos
Kurt Suzuki
Brian McCann
Jeff Mathis
Robinson Chirinos
Jonathan Lucroy
Martin Maldonado
Matt Wieters
Devin Mesoraco
Nick Hundley
Chris Herrmann
A.J. Ellis
James McCann
Stephen Vogt
Drew Butera

Teams in the Market for Catchers
Nationals - Yan Gomes, Kurt Suzuki
Braves - Brian McCann
Mets - Wilson Ramos
Phillies
Brewers
Dodgers
Diamondbacks - Carson Kelly
Rockies
Rays - Mike Zunino
Red Sox
Astros - Robinson Chirinos
Mariners - Omar Narvaez
Rangers - Jeff Mathis
A’s - Chris Herrmann
Angels - Jonathan Lucroy
White Sox - James McCann
Reds
Padres

Posted: December 04, 2018, 10:53 PM Post
I obviously agree with you on Grandal but think that the Dodgers are not in the market for a catcher from your list at the bottom.

Posted: December 04, 2018, 10:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
I obviously agree with you on Grandal but think that the Dodgers are not in the market for a catcher from your list at the bottom.

I included them just because I haven’t ruled out a Grandal reunion with the Dodgers, even with Austin Barnes.

Posted: December 04, 2018, 11:26 PM Post
All those options, tough to imagine someone giving up the massive asking price for realmuto

Posted: December 05, 2018, 1:27 AM Post
Ramos, Ramos, he's our man

Posted: December 05, 2018, 7:11 AM Post
Ramos, Ramos, he's our man

...If he can't hit, nobody can!

Can he catch for three years with two ACL surgeries? Seems like an AL DH kind of team would be a better fit. He would be my second choice after YG. My options would be...

1. Grandel (4years + one team option, 5/$75)
2. Ramos (2 years + one team option, 3/$36)
3. Remalto (only at our price, No Burnes, KH and only one of Woodruff and Peralta)
4. Stay put with our internal options

Posted: December 11, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
Brewers met with Ramos in Vegas yesterday per McCalvey.

Posted: December 11, 2018, 1:34 PM Post
McCalvy reporting that Brewers have met with Ramos at the meetings.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply